Would you ever...

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

*points to question down bellow* please read before you vote :)

Any human being is more important than a beast
19%
Only if it was a human/animal VERY dear to me
37%
Only if I myself were in near-death danger
14%
O_O I would NEVER kill a wolf!
30%

Total votes: 94

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Re: Would you ever...

Post by valkea » Thu May 05, 2016 5:52 pm

I think when given a hypothetical situation like this, it's really easy to say "no, I wouldn't kill a wolf", whether it be because of a love of wolves or from the desire to avoid violence... or both, or really any other reason. When I read the question, the first answer that came to mind was "I wouldn't kill a wolf". However, when put in that actual situation, yes, I'm sure I would kill the wolf even though I would hate every second of it and probably feel sick and hate myself afterwards, and I'm sure a lot of people who have answered saying that they wouldn't kill a wolf would end up the same way. Same goes for any animal, I agree with Skybreaker that wolves aren't an exception when it comes to defending your own or someone else's life.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Samber
Name: Akira

Post by Samber » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:58 pm

I would try to scare him/her away, if that didn't work, i would probably hit him/her but not too hard.
─ are you calling me a sinner?
av©lupinz
x
X
X

not active anymore

starstablefan_246
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Star

Post by starstablefan_246 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:55 pm

Vida wrote:If it was attacking my family or friends I would try and drive it away/tranquilize/stun whatever. I personally don't know if I could kill it. But I don't have to worry about that because we have no predators in New Zealand xD. Only birds, deer, mountain goats, possums and feral cats.
Same. I also live in NZ.
=) Everyone is on top of the world, since there is no bottom of the world =)

Uzumaaki
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Uzumaaki » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:04 pm

yeah of course. I think I'd have some serious trauma going on if I killed any living creature (other than say insects or whatever) but if it's a choice between a wolf and my pets/people I love there's no contest
av by theinfinite

Selvester
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Selvester » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:15 pm

WOULD I kill a wolf. If I absolutely had to and probably only if it was a direct threat to me, or someone/something dear to me. Everyone else is going to have to fend for themselves. Sorry guys xD
But COULD I kill a wolf, probably not. In all honesty it would probably get me or whatever I'm protecting before I could get to it.

Derek Spiral
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Derek

Post by Derek Spiral » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:51 pm

Completely depends on the situation. I have been on a lot of hunting trips, and sometimes its just needed to kill a predator for the well-being of nature (humans caused this of course). If it was just something like a betting or a trophy hunt, then no, I would never hurt a wolf (or any other creature if there's no purpose to). But if anything threatens the things I care about, I will not hesitate to put it out, but only if it is the last remaining option.
єՇє ɭเŦє ς є ŦгยรՇгคՇเภﻮ
ՇՇ Շђเภкเภﻮ ɭєςє
гє קєгŦɭ Շђ єאקɭ Շєг
:: av/sig © Lupinzpack/Samber ::

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:31 am

Kaheaniehal wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:08 am
Question: Would you ever kill a wolf if the life of you/a friend/pet(something living you hold close to you) were in danger from it?
Or just a human being in general?

------
Personally I never judge by the species, but by my personal value to the being. So yes, if a wolf was going to kill my dog(which I like more then I do most people), I'd defend my comrade before I'd let a wolf have his lunch. (yes wolves do eat dogs/other canines.)

NO ONE.. and I mean NO ONE come at me with the "Oh well wolves never attack people" nonsense. I don't really care, I am asking for an opinion.

Also to the WQ staff people- if this topic is inappropriate... err I'm sorry for being thick headed. Sometimes I have poor judgement on what and what not should be allowed.
I would only attempt to kill a wolf in life-or-death scenarios like this. I doubt I'd ever be able to kill a wolf though, the most I could possibly do is to ward it off with sticks, stones.. anything in the immediate vicinity. I'm sure if I somehow ever managed to find the wolf again, I would contact the appropriate officials to humanely destroy it (I know this is all hypothetical but realistically the wolf might be rabid or ill). Secondly, I vehemently oppose "Trophy hunting". It kills animals in vain. Wolves are considered "charismatic megafauna", meaning they have a strong relationship with the general public (think of your love for dogs).Trophy hunting wastes the animal (there isn't a big market for wolf meat here, don't know what happens to it), and I think any Trophy hunter is plainly arrogant. Some say it "does good to prevent poaching" amongst other conservation efforts, but I say those are nonsense excuses used to hide their intentions. What majority of trophy hunters hunt exclusively for conservation? Virtually none, that's what makes it trophy hunting.. the wolf is a trophy.There is a major difference when hunting for food and when hunting because you want to display a dead animal. The latter not for necessity. Trophy hunting will never replace actual conservation.
Anyway, I guess I could say the same about dogs. In life-or-death scenarios, if I absolutely had to, I would kill the dog. However I know a few techniques when a dog is attacking you, and none of them involve killing the dog.
I think all ranchers should make an attempt to prevent killing wolves and to also prevent their livestock from being injured or even killed. Preferably, humane but effective deterrents.. don't wait until a wolf has killed your sheep, and then declare all wolves as greedy and dangerous animals.. when they're just that. Animals. Wolves are very vulnerable, especially in the lower 48 states. I don't think they have the potential for overpopulation and desensitization to humans, similar to the explosion of white tail deer (population of white tail deer is estimated to be 30 million!!). The wolf population in Canada is only about 50,000 in comparison.. the wolf population can still be easily tipped. That's why I disagree with hunting wolves for population control. They don't need it, nor would they generally benefit from it.

I think I've sort of over analyzed this, sorry!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

AStrangerOnline
Pup
Pup
Name: Mochi

Post by AStrangerOnline » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:18 am

It's been interesting reading through and seeing people's opinions. I'm unsure of whether I've already stated my answer, but if so, I'll just say it again as I'm sure my views have changed since I first found this topic.

I believe that I would be able to kill the wolf if it came down to them or my friend/pet. I would love to say that no, I would never kill another species, but out of necessity, it wouldn't surprise me if I did, so long as it was in a quick and painless way.

Of course, I would try all of the deterrents first, and if I had any other alternative to killing, I would use it without question. But the short answer is yes, I could kill the wolf.

I completely agree with @valkea with their post as well, as they had some pretty good points.

lostgirl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: song

Post by lostgirl » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:40 pm

I don’t think I could, I’m one of those people who, if a burning building was on fire I would save the animals, and stuff (I wish I wasn’t). If it was my sister or my mom, I would try to stun it or lead it away, but that’s probably all I could do.
{I am a wolf
Quietly, I will endure.

Silently, I will suffer.
Patiently, I will wait.

For I am a warrior}

Wind_Shadow
Pup
Pup
Name: Wind, Windy, Shadow

Post by Wind_Shadow » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:04 pm

To elaborate on my answer: I would only kill a wolf if it was 100% necessary to save a very dear and beloved person or pet. Honestly, I hate to say it, but if a random wolf appeared in my neighborhood and I saw a random person getting attacked by a wolf and I had a weapon, I wouldn't be able to convince myself that the person was of more value than the wolf. It's always easy to say "oh, I'd do this" or "oh, I would never do that" when thinking of a hypothetical situation, but sometimes it has to be actually happening to you to know how you'd truly react. Easy to say you'd never kill a wolf... but if it came down to it, would you?
Now, I absolutely love wolves in every way, and believe they have every right to survive- as much as any other creature does, as much right to survive as any human. But, realistically, I don't think I would stand by if I saw a wolf attacking, say, my best friend. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I stood by and did nothing. However, I wouldn't immediately go to kill the wolf. I would only use a method that could possibly be fatal as an absolute last resort, and would try everything else first- whether it be distraction, tranquilizer, a warning shot, or something else. If it came down to it, I would do everything possible to preserve the wolf's life- for example, hitting it somewhere that would disable it, but give it a chance of survival. And only that would be after all else fails.
Killing a wolf for anything that doesn't directly threaten the life of a human, however, I strongly oppose. Trophy hunting is just plain outright horrific, disgusting, and every other evil, vile word I can think of. However, I can't dive too deep into this topic or this message will end up being a page long. Even for killing a wolf because it's on your property, or trying to eat your cattle, is ridiculous. Only a complete, outright idiot would have to resort to killing a wolf to protect livestock or land. There are many safer, more eco-friendly, non-wolf-killing ways to protect livestock or pets if you live in an area populated by wolves. Example- certain dogs, scents, fences, and sounds can easily scare away wolves. At the very least, use some sort of blank round or warning shot- you don't need to kill, but the noise of the gunshot enough will scare the wolf away. Wolves don't know any better- they live by the rules of nature, so how could they possibly understand that a specific type of prey animal already belongs to another predator when it's still alive? Wolves aren't ruthless, vicious creatures who attack without reason- they're intelligent, sensible creatures, just looking for food to feed themselves and their packs. They have been shown to have emotions and cause-and-effect consequential thought processes. In fact, they're as smart as, if not smarter than, dogs. They have also been recorded to mourn lost pack members, just as humans mourn families.
So, basically, please don't kill a wolf unless you really, really have to. Don't kill it because it's a "cool trophy". Don't kill it because it's a dangerous animal. Don't kill it because it's trying to hunt animals that happen to be yours. Try to use non-fatal methods first, and only resort to killing as a LAST RESORT. Afterall, you wouldn't want someone killing you or your family member just for going to the wrong house or trying to take the wrong food.
The darkest night gave birth to a breeze,
Which grew to a storm, which shook the trees
A howl of fury tore through the night,
Fueling the fight to make wrongs right
The cry of the night was spread and thinned,
Carried on the shadow of the wind

Mikaylawolf2
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Mikayla

Post by Mikaylawolf2 » Wed May 17, 2023 2:44 am

I would never kill a wolf or any animal I love animals.
Playing WolfQuest for 4 and half years

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:35 pm

I would only do it if it was the necessary/only choice in order to protect myself or equally if not more importantly, my own 'packmates.' I'd probably feel upset afterwards, as a wild animal behaving as it may around humans and strangers is totally different than, say, a murderer or other type of human attacker who likely knows what they are doing is wrong and chooses to do it anyway. Either way, if anything attacks my 'packmates' or myself, their own life is forfeit because I can't allow any of us to die. I'd never harm anything or anyone unless it was my last resort, but if it ever came to that situation, then it's going to be the attacker getting injured or killed rather than my own or myself.

Other methods of deterrent/defense are definitely ideal, but obviously if someone like my parents or my dog or myself was in immediate danger...sorry. I'd honor the animal's life and try to give it a respectful end, after dealing with the threat. But in the moment, I'd do what needs to be done. I consider all living things to be important and I only kill things like spiders or bugs in my house as a last resort (ideally, cup-and-paper trick if I can identify them as not seriously dangerous, and release them outside back into nature - otherwise, gotta kill em if safety is questionable). That said, the lives of my own and myself are equal to others', so we have an equal right to live and defend ourselves just like any other animal on this planet.

If I saw a wild animal wandering the neighborhood but no people or pets were around and it wasn't attacking, I'd likely call state wildlife services or the police and then keep an eye on it until the appropriate professionals arrive to make sure that ideally, neither anyone in the neighborhood or the animal gets hurt. If an animal ended up, say, trying to come at my dog and we're out walking, I'd try to make noise and act as ferocious as possible to scare it off, maybe use pepper spray if I had it, and fight with improvised weapons if I need to. (We've had other residents' dogs occasionally get out off-leash and come at ours and we've needed to use noise, pepper spray, and as a last resort, physical defense, because their stupid owners blatantly disregard both laws and the safety of both their pets and others, but that's for another discussion).

Anyway, it's not like I'd be able to outrun a speedy wild animal anyway, so while the idea of getting mauled isn't exactly appealing, I'd rather do it protecting someone than just running (poorly) and becoming 'fast food.' And, even if I could run, I'd never willingly leave one of my own or possibly even a stranger behind, because I'd feel completely horrible if I did that. So, while I'd feel some level of disgust or remorse or trauma if I had to ever hurt an animal, I'd feel far, far worse levels of those things if I let any of my own get hurt and didn't at least try to do something. And I also have zero interest in dying or getting mauled myself, either. To put it mildly: That would suck. Like, royally.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes