What should I do if I can’t log in?

Forum rules
Note: As of December 2018, multiplayer in this version of the free game is now permanently offline. Learn more
WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

What should I do if I can’t log in?

Post by WQ Coordinator » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Because WolfQuest is a free game with limited staff and funding, we cannot offer technical support to all users. Here is a list of common reasons why you may not be able to play the game. Our best advice is to follow the directions associated with your problem, and be patient!

I can't log in because I don't have an account and I don't know how to make one. To make an account, you need to click 'register' near the top right side of any of the community forums pages (including this one).

I can't find where to log in. You log in to the game by opening the game, clicking on "Multiplayer", creating a wolf avatar, clicking on the type of game you would like to join or create (private or open), choosing a game and clicking "Join selected game" or creating your own game, then typing community username and password.

It says my account is inactive. It typically takes anywhere from 1-3 days to activate an account. Be patient, and if you do not receive the activation e-mail, try logging in with your username and password anyway. Make sure you're typing it in correctly, by capitalizing and spelling your username and password exactly the way you created them.

If you know your account has already been activated and you’re typing your username and password correctly, check to make sure the forum is working. If the forum is down, you will not be able to log in to multiplayer games, either.

I can log in to the forum, but not to the game. The game login is slightly different than the forum login, so if you can log in to the forums but not the game, it could be because you're not entering your username or password exactly as it was originally registered. You can try changing your password on the forums (following the instructions in the 'Your Account' section of the FAQ) and trying to log in again. If it still doesn't work, it could also be because you registered as a COPPA user and didn't send in your COPPA form through mail or fax (e-mail COPPA forms are not accepted unless you live outside of the United States and can prove it based on your registration). If you were able to log in to WolfQuest multiplayer games before WolfQuest episode 2.5, this is the most likely reason you are not able to log in. If you try all this and are still not able to log in, or you are no longer younger than 13, you may want to follow the instructions in the WolfQuest FAQ to have your account deleted, make a new account (that can be exactly the same as your previous one), and try again.

I'm getting an error message when I try to play. Error messages can be issues with your graphics card, your internet, or our servers. Here's a list of common errors and what they mean:
*The user database error often means there is difficulty retrieving data from WQ's servers. This happens when there is a heavy load on the forums, or of course if forums go down entirely.
*The NAT capability error can mean one of two things:
1) The multiplayer server that connects players with each other at the start of the game is offline. This server is operated by Unity Technologies, which makes the software that we use to create WolfQuest, so it is out of our control. Unity is working to reduce this problem. If you are patient, this problem typically goes away after a day or two.
2) Your computer or router setup is not NAT capable. See the manual or the FAQ "The Game-Technical" for tips.
*Connection Failure errors is typically caused by a computer with a slower (or faster) internet connection speed than the other users trying to join a multiplayer game. If you receive a connection error while trying to start your own game, unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do to prevent connection errors from occurring. It could also mean you or the other game host's firewall/router settings are not set correctly or the game may have crashed or had been closed when you tried to join it, or the network connection suddenly went down.
*Account Activation errors simply mean your account has not been activated or is not being recognized at log in. Follow the details listed above if you receive this error.

If you've read all of these suggestions and you're still having troubles, look under the tips, hints, and help forum. If there is not an answer to your question there, post your exact error message and hopefully other community members will be able to help you.

Good luck!
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.