Multiplayer Released! (v1.0.5)

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Multiplayer Released! (v1.0.5)

Post by loboLoco » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:07 pm

We have released multiplayer for WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition! It’s available now in v1.0.5, and your game should automatically update via Steam or the WolfQuest game launcher. Multiplayer truly is the reason that WolfQuest has survived since the very first release in 2007 and we are thrilled to finally bring it back in Anniversary Edition. We are still calling it a "beta" since we have more bug fixes, refinements, and improvements -- but now it's a beta for everyone to play.

NEW: MULTIPLAYER!
* Create a public game that anyone can see in the multiplayer lobby and join.
* Create a private game with restricted access: All friends, Selected friends, or Packs. Only the selected players will see the game in the multiplayer lobby.
* Choose from two modes: Territory Quest, where players try to claim and maintain territory, and Pack Life, where players have an enforced no-mans-land (much like in single-player) so they don't have to worry about holding territory.
* Choose text chat or no chat. (For players under age 13, text chat is available only in private games with friends and packs. We will be adding phrase chat soon, which will be an option for everyone in all types of games.)
* NOTE: When creating and joining multiplayer games, please select the region and game with the lowest latency (under 150ms when possible). This will help keep latency (ping) as low as possible, minimizing in-game lag and teleporting for yourself and everyone else.

MULTIPLAYER-ONLY FEATURES
* If killed, you can revive yourself after ten seconds.
* If very low on health, use the new Quick Heal action, which converts some food in your stomach to health. Can only restore some health (capped at 40%). On keyboard, lay down, then press-hold the R key. On controller, lay down, then press-hold Y button and right trigger simultaneously.
* Pack Rally: If most players howl simultaneously, everyone earns a stamina boost, which lasts for about six minutes.
* On the World Map, other player-markers are displayed only when they are within two kilometers. If they howl, their marker will appear and remain displayed for one minute. If players do a Pack Rally, everyone's markers will be displayed for everyone else for the duration of the rally.
* When a player leaves the game, they indicate if they are planning to return soon or not. If returning soon, their wolf is put into limbo for five minutes and if they return within that time, they can resume where they were. This also occurs if they leave abruptly without clicking the Quit or Main Menu buttons (such as if they are disconnected from the game).

PACKS:
* In your Account panel, you can create a Pack (private group) and invite friends to join it.
* Send messages to pack members. (NOTE: There are a few known bugs with this: If a pack member sends a message, everyone but the host receives it, and you cannot reply to messages sent to a pack. The next patch should fix both of those issues.)
* When creating a new multiplayer game, select one or more packs to have private access to it.

NOTE ABOUT GAME SIMULATION
The game host runs the entire simulation, so more powerful CPUs can handle bigger simulations than weaker CPUs. The host's game runs a CPU benchmark test when starting a new game and uses that to set a cap on the number of spawned animals. If players mostly stay together, they should rarely be affected by this cap, but if there are a lot of players and they spread out, it's possible (especially if the host has a weaker CPU) to hit that cap. (The cap ranges from 50 animals for weak CPUs to 120 for powerful CPUs.)

FEATURES STILL TO COME
We have many more features and refinements still to come, including:
* Controller support for Accounts panels, add some missing controls for multiplayer creation.
* Refinements to wolf and NPC animal turning (headlook, etc).
* Add multiple spawn points and different territory configuration for each.
* Host can name their pack.
* Phrase Chat
* MP Lobby filtering options.
* Improve jumping and falling as seen by other players.
* Enable contact emotes.
* Add descriptive tags that host can select when creating MP game.

BUGS FIXED:
* On some Mac computers, the Health and Hunger meters are empty when in Enhanced Sky & Vegetation mode. (Apparently some Mac systems do not support the new shine effect used during Quick Heal, so we have disabled that effect on all Macs, since there is no way to identify on which Macs it is a problem.)
* Grizzlies don't have correct swim animation.
* Some unnecessary words in the badwords list.
* Terrain texturing discrepancies.
* It's darkest before the dawn.....too dark.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Re: Multiplayer Released! (v1.0.5)

Post by BlackMetal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:26 pm

Yay! I'm so excited! Thank you so much!

Keep safe! :wink:

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:31 pm

I had a suspicioun the reason the devlog was delayed was because something big was coming in WQ! Im about to play anniversary edition multiplayer for the first time. :mrgreen:

Howler-Yena
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Howler-Yena » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:59 pm

Yay!! Can't wait :D

Raids
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Raids » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:56 pm

Yay so excited! I remember playing the game years ago, so excited to see how multiplayer has expanded and grown. Thank you to the team behind it <3

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:48 am

This is so great. When Anniversary Edition was released, it kind of felt like a Deja Vu to be again roaming Amethyst Mountain all alone. In a better view than ever though! Yet multiplayer is a little bit different experience every time and so keeps one coming back.

There aren't too many players though, I wonder where is everybody? Or when? :wolf:

OtakuKisu
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by OtakuKisu » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:04 am

I love the multiplayer!

Question though.

Will there be a possibility to get a mate in multiplayer and eventually proceed to slough creek?

I'd love to make my own little pack with my friends and all of their mates. It would also give more to do in multiplayer, besides peeing everywhere and hunting