Forum upgrade

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Forum upgrade

Post by loboLoco » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:39 am

We have finally succeeded in upgrading the forum to the latest version of phpBB (the forum software). We'd been stuck on a pretty old version for many years, and attempts to upgrade it failed due to the size of the database. But after pruning old posts last month, and then finding phpBB expert Mark Hamill (alas, not that Mark Hamill) to handle the upgrade, we're finally on phpBB 3.2 now.

The old custom WQ theme did not survive the upgrade, but we'll now tweak this new stock theme to make it more similar to the old theme....but a totally new WQ.org website design is coming early next year, so this will only be for the interim.

EDIT: If you notice issues caused by the upgrade and/or forum layout, please list them in a post here. The team is currently evaluating and working through bugs that have been caused by change.
Last edited by Koa on Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding information

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by paperpaws » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:02 am

Congratulations on the upgrade! I'll admit I'm bad at dealing with change and this will certainly take some getting used to, but I'm sure it was long overdue.

I'll be looking forward to the new web design and the return of the dark theme whenever you've found the time to - seems like your to-do list is overflowing!

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:25 am

So glad to finally be on the latest and greatest! I'm sure this'll help with a lot of issues too and I'm glad it was finally able to get done.

Although I will admit I cannot do light themes anymore haha, so hopefully we'll see the return of our dark theme soon! I wish you guys the best of luck with that!

Shiranuiii
Name: Shiranui

Post by Shiranuiii » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:52 am

very nice!! I like this version a lot better than the old one haha, nice to have a change. cx

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Thanks for the upgrade, Dave!

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:36 pm

I will miss the old version, but at the same time it's very refreshing to finally see this happen. Thanks Dave! ^^

xXWolfFangsXx
Pup
Pup
Name: Fang

Post by xXWolfFangsXx » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Just wondering, When is wolfquest 3 coming out? I am so excited!!! :wolf: :moose: :fox: :wolf: :D Gratejob on the upgrade BTW!!

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:42 pm

WolvesRule144 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:29 pm
Just wondering, When is wolfquest 3 coming out? I am so excited!!! :wolf: :moose: :fox: :wolf: :D
Most of the updates published in the weekly developer's blog entries provides an update in some form or another on the progress of 3.0. The latest update was this:
loboLoco wrote:They also bring tidings of other bad news: despite our best efforts, we will not have Amethyst Mountain ready to release by the end of this year. Everything is coming together in exciting ways, but there are still simply too many bits and pieces that need to be built, tweaked, and polished. So now we’re looking at early 2019, though we have not set a release date. We are terribly sorry for making predictions that don’t come true — but we are getting close, and the game is looking even better than we’d hoped. We think the extended wait really will be worth it!
Source: Beary Bad News

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:54 pm

We are now utilizing this thread to source information about bugs and glitches that have occurred with the forum's version and layout changes. If you have noticed some issues, please post on this thread and list them. This thread is not for questions about the WolfQuest game-- only comments, questions, and concerns about the forum-- so please try to post those elsewhere so we can keep this thread organized. Thank you.

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:32 pm

The upgraded forum from from my personal perspective looks great! Although, it is a little weird seeing a light version featuring on the wq forums now. Looks like I'll just have to adjust until a dark theme is put out.

Wonderful work as always Dave! :butterfly:

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:39 am

Great that the forums got an upgrade! :D
I too gotta get used to the lighter version, though. xD But I'm pretty sure I will with time.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:02 am

I'll admit--i was very surprised to come back to a big change. I'm gonna miss the old look of the forum, but I'm really loving this polished, modern feel. Can't wait to see what it becomes next year!

Admiral Moonfire
Pup
Pup

Post by Admiral Moonfire » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 am

I miss the darker theme, but this one is nice too. Things seem to be running a lot smoother since the upgrade, so that's a huge plus!

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Oh dear, R.I.P. pale yellow text :lol:

EDIT: This is not a bug, but if it is simple to do I am wondering if "Your Posts" and/or "Unread Posts" could be added to the brown header bar where Search and New posts is. Like it was on the old skin! I used those links a lot.

Paradiigm
Name: Atlas

Post by Paradiigm » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:02 pm

I dearly miss the old theme, it's what I grew up on! This is a nice transition, as I have transitioned into adult life it feels as if the site went with me.
I hope a darker theme does pop up, this is super bright on my dim setting for my phone and laptop lmao. But this setup is much quicker for my devices to load.