Wildest Dreams: The Story of WolfQuest (Chapter 1)

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Wildest Dreams: The Story of WolfQuest (Chapter 1)

Post by loboLoco » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:43 pm

[youtube]bDeA-0I7xjM[/youtube]
Video link:

Ten years ago today, we first released WolfQuest into the world. I daresay nobody in their wildest dreams, whether on the WolfQuest team or eagerly downloading (or trying to download) it, could have imagined that the game would still be going strong today. And yet, here we are.

To commemorate this minor but remarkable event, we’ve made a documentary video about the history of the game. Actually, the documentary turned into a bigger project than expected (hmm, sense a pattern here?) so we’re going to release it in three chapters. Here’s the first one, “Genesis.” Enjoy!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Re: Wildest Dreams: The Story of WolfQuest

Post by Phasoli » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Wow! What an inspiring documentary! I can't wait to see the next two chapters. The game has really come a long way. Those old models--oh my goodness, they don't even compare to the new models that are soon to be released! Wow... My mind is blown.

ArgentsArrows
Pup
Pup
Name: Birdie/Goose

Post by ArgentsArrows » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:35 pm

This game's progress is truly surprising, just looking at the dates from the video. Many games I've played in the past haven't been popular for even half as long as WolfQuest, so congrats to you guys! I'm glad you were able to find a program that allowed you to make these graphics, they look absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to how the crew surprises us in the future!

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm howling at the ShockWave3D test footage it makes me feel so much better about my own project pursuits.

It's very heartwarming to find out just how surprised you were at the interest the game attracted. It makes a lot of the functionality choices regarding WQ both in game and on the forum make a lot more sense.

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:41 pm

I love this! It's awesome getting an insight like this into how WolfQuest came to be what it is today. That my little pony forum thing really caught me off-guard hahaha.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:45 pm

I had no idea WolfQuest would find success through one of that pony franchise's forums, either. That's both amusing and amazing. Great start to the documentary, Dave.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:32 am

I would not have expected the pony forum thing lmao. Anyway, the video was really interesting! And that graph at 11:45 tho

And it's crazy to compare the Shockwave models to even the old ones from 2.5 and older, and the difference is especially crazy when you look at those and then look at the ones for 3.0 and Tower Fall. Holy crap, they look like they're from completely different projects! The progress on that alone, and everything in WQ really, is amazing.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:30 am

Wow, that video was really good. It is really interesting to hear how everything got started. I joined in 2008 and I was like, "Oh cool, a game about wolves! Let's download it,"

And 10 years later, I'm still here. :)

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:31 am

This was a lovely watch and a very interesting trip down memory lane. It was nice to see the faces (and cats) of those who have done so much for the project over the years. I honestly can't say enough that you all genuinely deserve the success you've had so far, and I hope that there's more to come :)

I'll definitely be looking forward to the next two chapters of this documentary. This is definitely a worthy celebration of the ten year anniversary.
Windstrider wrote:And it's crazy to compare the Shockwave models to even the old ones from 2.5 and older, and the difference is especially crazy when you look at those and then look at the ones for 3.0 and Tower Fall. Holy crap, they look like they're from completely different projects! The progress on that alone, and everything in WQ really, is amazing.
Ha, those older models definitely caught me off guard. Extremely cool to see the baby stages of this project.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:10 pm

So I just noticed there is a cat behind Dave. I just thought it was like...a purse or a backpack or something on the desk. That's cute though...office pets are the best. What's the cat's name, Dave?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:So I just noticed there is a cat behind Dave. I just thought it was like...a purse or a backpack or something on the desk. That's cute though...office pets are the best. What's the cat's name, Dave?
That is Stuart. We were hoping he'd lift his head occasionally -- but we should've known better.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Pup
Pup

Post by 8900 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:51 pm

I saw this on youtube last night. It really is something awesome-I'm so happy WolfQuest has made it this far! :D

Keppostelija
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Trickster

Post by Keppostelija » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:34 pm

This is very interesting!

Build-A-Fish looks like my type of game.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Ok, YouTube let me watch the video finally, and l think where WolfQuest came from was inspiring and neat. I've never seen Build-A-Fish before, but just watching that part looked like it was a fun game. :D :D :D

Sarruki
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sarruki » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:58 pm

this is awesome
Last edited by Sarruki on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.