Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by AmberZeWolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Exactly, got to understand, and enjoy whatever your provided with, even if that meant your favorite game gets rid of something that means so much. But don't dwell on it, seriously, It's just a game. Games are just entertainment to teach us, entertain us, or even just challenge us to brain games, and they can be fun, like this one for learning, but it doesn't make sense is that people take games so seriously. A person's life shouldn't be lead by games because it is unhealthy for them to let games control their life.

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Not everyone prefers to live on in life, technology and mind over matter stuff is the thing. Our generation [considering I'm 22 and still have the knack for games still almost everyday, based around different categories, per se], yet living these days teens and other young adults feel as if they shouldn't respect or do chores or even work and just want to revolve around electronics. Thus mocking us other folks that want to work but still want games to this day. The age group shouldn't matter but of course playing this game or other based games makes us look like we don't have a life, but we do have a heart for a lot of things too and not all of it may seem understandable to others. I wouldn't really play this game or any game as often now that I'm old enough.

But I do also see and agree with your point that the game wasn't meant for role-play, not every game for that matter anyways. Sure enough you are interacting with other animals that are NPC's in the game and that's pretty much role-playing right there as an action type. And there's also not many unrealistic role-plays to say that are very popular, like I stated in a few posts before this, you see a lot of non-related wolf hosts in rooms and it pretty much bums you out at how nothing really has changed as far as wolf education goes with other people. A game is a just a game to others, but something like this that was made with tons of effort and knowledge is pleasure to many more.

Dark Nyx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dark Nyx » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Perhaps you could create an easier way to report members for inappropriate behavior, rather than remove "Lexicon Chat" from 2.7 multiplayer games.
Last edited by Dark Nyx on Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Dark Nyx wrote:Perhaps you could create an easier way to report members for inappropriate behavior, rather than remove "Lexicon Chat" from 2.7 multiplayer games.
The decision to remove lexicon was made in 2011, and there was an agreement with the Minnesota Zoo to remove lexicon from 2.5 after 2.7's release. Also keep in mind that it has not been removed from 2.7, because the option to use lexicon chat has never existed in 2.7. It was removed from 2.5.
Sorry, I can't delay it. My agreement with the Minnesota Zoo was that we'd shut down lexicon chat after releasing 2.7. It's already had a much longer run than anyone expected when we made this plan back in 2011, and the only reason it's remained active this long is because it took us forever to finish 2.7.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=77817
Also, while public games are restricted to phrase chat, private games have text chat that is only filtered through a list of disallowed words and is much more free than lexicon was even at its best. There is also an in-game messaging system that can be used to set up private games with players you've met in public games.

Chanco19
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Chanco19 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:20 am

It's funny, I can only remember lexicon being annoyingly clunky to use and people are sad about losing it? Surely the benefits of the new private game and messaging system far outweigh the loss of another that was outdated. Though maybe to make up for it for the naysayers, phrase chat could be expanded slightly in the future?

Blue-Kumiho
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Blue-Kumiho » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:25 am

[quote="Chanco19"]It's funny, I can only remember lexicon being annoyingly clunky to use and people are sad about losing it? Surely the benefits of the new private game and messaging system far outweigh the loss of another that was outdated. Though maybe to make up for it for the naysayers, phrase chat could be expanded slightly in the future?[/quote]

It's true that private games seem to be much more improved than lexicon, but I will miss the convenience of simply being able to enter a room without searching for available private games without phrase chat.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Well at least now you would be able to just gather friends, after making some new ones if possible, then just invite them to a private server where if they have to go it won't matter if someone takes their spot when they come back right, because it won't be possible without them knowing the name and password inside.

Blue-Kumiho
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Blue-Kumiho » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Snow130 wrote:Well at least now you would be able to just gather friends, after making some new ones if possible, then just invite them to a private server where if they have to go it won't matter if someone takes their spot when they come back right, because it won't be possible without them knowing the name and password inside.
Yes, that is true. I can't wait to get the 2.7 version, I'll be downloading it once exam week ends.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Chanco19 wrote:Though maybe to make up for it for the naysayers, phrase chat could be expanded slightly in the future?
There is a thread here for suggestions for expanding phrase chat, however keep in mind that the amount of phrases that can be added is limited by the amount of space on the chatbox.

Dark Ciel
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dark Ciel » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:21 am

It's no use neamera, Snowbee is extremely stubborn and I know her in real life. She has already said that this won't effect her, she said in quote"I'm laughing cuz wolf quest jacked up their game, they dropped a whole bunch of great people, doesn't effect me." Do excuse Snowbee she is not always easy to speak with, but i will deal with her, and get her to apologies, sense her outburst wasn't exactly appropriate. I understand where she is coming from but she should have approached this from a different angel. But I am afraid I won't be playing wq much anymore, sense I can't afford 2.7, but maybe one day I can again...

Kiana1237
Pup
Pup

Post by Kiana1237 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:47 pm

I see a lot a new people saying this is a bad idea. Now I am upset, but I am not going to lie and say I don't see why. I fully understand why they had to do this. I've been on for 7 years now and yes, the chat was getting way out of hand. I hope that someday we can have it back but maybe have an age limit thing. I don't know.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:53 pm

Kiana1237 wrote:I see a lot a new people saying this is a bad idea. Now I am upset, but I am not going to lie and say I don't see why. I fully understand why they had to do this. I've been on for 7 years now and yes, the chat was getting way out of hand. I hope that someday we can have it back but maybe have an age limit thing. I don't know.
There are age guards in place now, but we can't guarantee someone won't lie about their age. As I've said before, open games are open games. There''s simply not enough word-wise that can defend open games the way they are, unlike the "enter at your own risk" disclaimer announced by private games. (There's a disclaimer difference just between the two in name alone.) The act of any lying resulting in "accidental exposure" poses more of a problem for open games than private games. We won't always know who is underaged and lies, but it would only take one incident to be troublesome.

Nia The ChibiDrawer
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Nia The ChibiDrawer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:50 pm

As much as I do agree to the abuse and all the point of the game is for education, I feel this site is about to go down. I get on, there's only 1 server, and everyone is talking about leaving. Even though I don't visit as much as I used to, I'm thinking of uninstalling the game and just quit also since there's nothing to look excited for. Sure it' nice to learn about wolves and all but I also would like to make friends. It makes it more fun to learn and also create a friendship with each other. I don't know anything about this Wolfquest 2.7 or something other than it cost money. When you say "affordable" it still says to me "lol you can't buy it". Really hurts to see this is all going down, there's not much left other than the forums. I feel sorry for anyone who paid for the 2.7 and learned that they still can't use Lexicon.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:04 pm

You should accept what you get. It doesn't matter what chat there is, there's a new chat, just look at the private games, you can just gather people and invite them to your game to chat freely. I don't get why people aren't seeing this. Now I'm feeling like people are saying they are leaving because they want the attention and want the game to put lexicon back, even though it is final. It's never coming back. Don't beg guys, it's just a game, it doesn't matter much. It's better than 2.7 not coming out at all.

Geronino
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Ari!

Post by Geronino » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Okay, so I've been reading this forum a while now, but I still have one or two questions. So the text chat in private games of WolfQuest 2.7 is kind of like Lexicon chat? And are there high chances that this chat will be used for the 2.7 game?