Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by AmberZeWolf » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:48 pm

Also saying, I overall am soo glad that lexicon chat is gone for good, I ain't afraid to say so.

I don't think a true wolf quester would care about popularity of the game, like me or probably the team. I would stay loyal to the team even if everyone else leaves the community. That is how loyal I am.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:08 pm

Snow130 wrote:Also saying, I overall am soo glad that lexicon chat is gone for good, I ain't afraid to say so.

I don't think a true wolf quester would care about popularity of the game, like me or probably the team. I would stay loyal to the team even if everyone else leaves the community. That is how loyal I am.
I'm with you on that! I honestly don't care about the popularity of the game and am very glad that the lexicon is gone!

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Space

Post by Pelican » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:21 am

Snow130 wrote:Also saying, I overall am soo glad that lexicon chat is gone for good, I ain't afraid to say so.

I think a "true WolfQuester" would care about the popularity of the game. Popularity of educational wolf game = more people educated about wolves.

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:14 am

Pelican wrote:

I think a "true WolfQuester" would care about the popularity of the game. Popularity of educational wolf game = more people educated about wolves.
Maybe, but in all honesty, even if the game isn't popular, at least the ones that do play the game are more educated about wolves. And half the time, the people that are upset about the lexicon and are leaving because of it were in it for the roleplay, and oftentimes in the RPs they have unrealistic elements, like Alphas, Betas, etc.

clawdeenwolf122
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by clawdeenwolf122 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Wow it really stunned me when I found out the Lexicon was disabled. It was really fun and I made new friends online everyday, and trust me, I really am not on the computer a lot but I really looked forward to RPing, last time I was on I really did not know that it would be last time I role-played on WQ. However, we all have to understand that you didn't have much of a choice but I really do, even if it isn't possible, wish WQ could just punish those who were abusing free chat such as Lexicon. Anyways, I just wanted to say how fun it was on Lexicon :) :( at the same time ya know?

WolfDJ2020
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WolfDJ2020 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:28 pm

Can you at least maybe add it back? But not allow doing role play? You don't have to but I miss being able to say things like "Webs" and "Go for the bull" :(

wolves033
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolves033 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:44 pm

when i went on one day i was like " ok coat check, statistics check" i went to make a server and there was no lexicon. im really disapointed in WQ and i was going to get the new $10 game but if it doesnt have lexicon i wont bother. im pretty sure im just gonna undownload the game completely. if you could bring it back that would be awesome and i have to say that this is how i got introduced to roleplaying and lexicon was the only way i could do that. The 2.7 game looked so cool but i read something that said it wont have lexicon and if not then like i said i wont bother wasting $10 on a game where you cant actually talk to people and make friends. I just thought i should put that out there cause i know me and alot of others are mad about this and i think it should go back to the way it was before. and may i add, none of my friends i see in real life play WQ. I cant make a privet game without just sitting there by my self like a total dork. Once again WQ im really disapointed

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:05 pm

WolfDJ2020 wrote:Can you at least maybe add it back? But not allow doing role play? You don't have to but I miss being able to say things like "Webs" and "Go for the bull" :(
The deal with the Minnesota Zoo was to disable lexicon when 2.7 was released. Now that it's been released, the lexicon has to be gone. Considering it couldn't be delayed any longer, I highly doubt that it can be added back.
Sorry, I can't delay it. My agreement with the Minnesota Zoo was that we'd shut down lexicon chat after releasing 2.7. It's already had a much longer run than anyone expected when we made this plan back in 2011, and the only reason it's remained active this long is because it took us forever to finish 2.7.
clawdeenwolf122 wrote: However, we all have to understand that you didn't have much of a choice but I really do, even if it isn't possible, wish WQ could just punish those who were abusing free chat such as Lexicon.?
People who were abusing the lexicon were punished when they were caught, however the abuse continued, and as said above there was an agreement with the zoo to remove the lexicon after 2.7's release anyway.
wolves033 wrote:when i went on one day i was like " ok coat check, statistics check" i went to make a server and there was no lexicon. im really disapointed in WQ and i was going to get the new $10 game but if it doesnt have lexicon i wont bother. im pretty sure im just gonna undownload the game completely. if you could bring it back that would be awesome and i have to say that this is how i got introduced to roleplaying and lexicon was the only way i could do that. The 2.7 game looked so cool but i read something that said it wont have lexicon and if not then like i said i wont bother wasting $10 on a game where you cant actually talk to people and make friends. I just thought i should put that out there cause i know me and alot of others are mad about this and i think it should go back to the way it was before. and may i add, none of my friends i see in real life play WQ. I cant make a privet game without just sitting there by my self like a total dork. Once again WQ im really disapointed
2.7 does not have lexicon chat, however private games in 2.7 have a chat option that is only filtered through a list of disallowed words, which actually allows a lot more freedom than lexicon ever did. Public games are restricted to phrase chat, however 2.7 also has a built-in messaging feature you can use to set up private games with people you have met in public games. You can also always meet people on the forum as well as in the game, so it isn't impossible to make friends even with public 2.7 games being restricted to phrase chat.

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:52 am

wolves033 wrote:when i went on one day i was like " ok coat check, statistics check" i went to make a server and there was no lexicon. im really disapointed in WQ and i was going to get the new $10 game but if it doesnt have lexicon i wont bother. im pretty sure im just gonna undownload the game completely. if you could bring it back that would be awesome and i have to say that this is how i got introduced to roleplaying and lexicon was the only way i could do that. The 2.7 game looked so cool but i read something that said it wont have lexicon and if not then like i said i wont bother wasting $10 on a game where you cant actually talk to people and make friends. I just thought i should put that out there cause i know me and alot of others are mad about this and i think it should go back to the way it was before. and may i add, none of my friends i see in real life play WQ. I cant make a privet game without just sitting there by my self like a total dork. Once again WQ im really disapointed

Well we're all bummed out about not having the free chat-of-what-we-can-say thing to be available no more. I used it for the role-play, but there was so much chaos and childish moments within other members that abused the system and intentionally provoked other people. I sure wouldn't miss the days where people would deliberately tell you what to do once you've entered a game that was open. No longer seeing "Change your name, it's mine!" or "Change your howl, it's mine!" kind of ordeal. I'm pleased to play within a hosted game whereas you can have similar coats/howls and have no problem telling one another that it's yours for that room and you would have to alter your characters looks/sounds.

Though you can still make friends even without actually saying what you want to be noticed during game-play. The forums are just as freely exposed to navigate and find users you've met within the game. But it's understanding where you lead this to, I too got more into role-playing when I found this game many years back. Without able to role-play is pity, but at the same time wouldn't you want to be comfortable talking without childish nonsense and how others just intentionally make it worse as it has been done already? In my opinion, I think it's best to have it settled this way than having moderators always on the look-out for disturbances upon other players. It would drive a lot of people away from playing the game, however, it's best to not have Lexicon chat with many restrictions to where users could find a way to bypass anything. There's always those people that can and lead to a permanent end of discussion about returning Lexicon chat back for the game.

Also, if I may add on to about Lexicon chat. The restrictions of what we could say and not say was a bother even if trying to role-play. You couldn't say certain words or phrases as the game restricted you from typing it out. I wouldn't say it was better back than with the other versions of WQ, but it got out-of-hand to the point where words had to be taken away and just didn't fit the picture of role-playing as easily as you could do with. Even if it was an option, it's really a waste to even try to say things that were not in the log of the game itself, making it harder to cope with other players. And boy did I feel awkward saying "led" and "alas" all the time to specify genders, when your user-name in the rooms were hard to define.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm going to say this as I see that people mainly care about roleplay here. This game was not meant for the roleplay, it was meant for the education, and people made it seem like it was about role play because it seemed to make them want to.This game isn't about role play at all like I said, it may be fun but don't forget the real deal about the game. I think that sounded a little rude, well I did mean that after all, but I didn't really want to offend people. The game was meant to educate and people are still doing unrealistic things without a good reason, and you really can just roleplay in private servers, with the free chat and all there. Why don't you guys see this? Is there a specific reason you don't notice the fact that roleplay is much easier in the new version where you can just gather friends and go to a private server? Just wondering since a lot of you who don't like the idea of lexicon in 2.5 going away, even though it's caused enough trouble.

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Snow130 wrote:I'm going to say this as I see that people mainly care about roleplay here. This game was not meant for the roleplay, it was meant for the education, and people made it seem like it was about role play because it seemed to make them want to.This game isn't about role play at all like I said, it may be fun but don't forget the real deal about the game. I think that sounded a little rude, well I did mean that after all, but I didn't really want to offend people. The game was meant to educate and people are still doing unrealistic things without a good reason, and you really can just roleplay in private servers, with the free chat and all there. Why don't you guys see this? Is there a specific reason you don't notice the fact that roleplay is much easier in the new version where you can just gather friends and go to a private server? Just wondering since a lot of you who don't like the idea of lexicon in 2.5 going away, even though it's caused enough trouble.
I agree with this. Roleplay was not the original point of the game, and people roleplay unrealistically. And in all honesty, in the new version RP is even easier, just do as Snow said, gather your friends, go in a private server and enjoy yourselves. Don't get upset kids!

dawn oakly
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Howling among my fellow wolves deep with in the forest at the break of dawn.

Post by dawn oakly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:55 am

I understand that most people are pointing out that the whole reason for creating wolfquest was to educate people, but even though that is so role playing soon became part of that. My role playing life started on wolf quest and it got me to were I am today, it allowed me to become a thousand different charcters just by playing, I met new people from around the world just by sitting by my laptop and I cherished every moment. So it breaks my heart to hear that Lexion chat has been disabled, yes it is still on 2.7 but some like me still prefer to just stick to 2.5. I have enjoyed role playing and its hard for me to hear that I can no longer do so on 2.5. I respect that it is not my decision whether lexion chat is disabled or not but I hope that your reconsider your decision as it has effect a great majority of those who find comfort in role playing.

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Space

Post by Pelican » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:14 pm

CakeWolfy wrote:
Pelican wrote:

Maybe, but in all honesty, even if the game isn't popular, at least the ones that do play the game are more educated about wolves. And half the time, the people that are upset about the lexicon and are leaving because of it were in it for the roleplay, and oftentimes in the RPs they have unrealistic elements, like Alphas, Betas, etc.

But there's more to the lexicon than that. Even if you weren't roleplaying you could still make friends. And the way I see it, friendship is the most important thing on the planet. Besides that, there's more to a lot of the roleplays than just "random unrealistic elements." I wouldn't be half as brave as I am today if I had never created my character Space. Roleplaying as her taught me how. And if I had never met my friend Riley on Multiplayer, I wouldn't be half as loyal as I am today. I'm not trying to be self-righteous or anything here (those kind of people get on my nerves to no end) I'm just stating the truth. And even though some roleplays weren't even about wolves, it didn't mean that there weren't any interesting aspects of them. In addition to that, just because people roleplay fantasy wolves doesn't necessarily have to mean they don't know anything about wolves. I've been studying wolves since 2011, yet I roleplay "unrealistic" wolves. Even so, there are realistic elements in my roleplay and some other people's roleplay (e.g wolves' claws are dull, not sharp; they fight with their teeth). So even if people roleplay unrealistically, they might still be learning about wolves, whether it be through Singleplayer, roleplay, or the forums. Even some roleplays that have elements like howling at the moon and Alpha/Beta ranks might have realistic elements (mind you, I speak from personal experience in the roleplay servers). So I really do see a reason for both WolfQuest being popular leading to more people educated about and/or loving wolves, and a reason for the lexicon returning once there's enough funding from 2.7 being a plausible idea.
as it has effect a great majority of those who find comfort in role playing.
^ And then there's this. This is true for me and many other roleplayers. I plan on either convincing my parents to let me get the full version of 2.7, or waiting until Christmas to get it, so that I can still roleplay on WolfQuest. But 2.5 is classic compared to 2.7 for me, it's where my roleplay started.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:59 pm

Friends aren't the most important thing in life. Truth hurts however, family would be more important than friends, but if you didn't really have a family, then friends would probably be important. And I know your stating your opinion. Everyone has different opinions. But the ones with the most powerful decisions on a game are the ones who made it, and it's their choice. Plus if it was already held back too much then it shouldn't really matter. And there's a new version out. I get people can't get the new version and that happens to some, but there's no way of changing the owner of the game's decision about this lexicon chat going away. You can always find other ways to role play with lexicon chat gone. And if lexicon chat was still here, there'd still be inappropriate games out there. Just stating that as well. That's another reason it's gone, and staff can't be on 24/7 to ban/kick trouble makers because they have lives too. And making the chat even more restricted would be even worse because that would mean players still find ways around the filters.

Whitetigress55
Pup
Pup

Post by Whitetigress55 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:36 pm

Snow130 wrote: I get people can't get the new version and that happens to some, but there's no way of changing the owner of the game's decision about this lexicon chat going away.
Exactly, no matter how many times a person asks the staff to change the game, staff won't do it, and they have no reason to. The game is near perfect, (Because no game out there is perfect) so there is nothing to change, especially after all the hard work spent making 2.7. I'm trying my best not to be rude, but a change from lexicon to phrase shouldn't start a "WolfQuest War." We should all just be happy and enjoy the new release!