Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

D0m
Name: Dominik

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by D0m » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:30 pm

midnight1975 wrote: Maybe be able to go inside the den.
Going inside the den was decided against as announced by Dave:
We've decided not to add anything with the den interior. Sorry but it was just too tricky to figure out something satisfying and worth the effort. So I'm gonna lock this topic.
Source:

hikerhorse
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by hikerhorse » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:49 pm

I think getting rid of rhe Lexicon Chat was a very stupid idea and it will decrease playing time as well as income. I understand why, but now that there is only phrase chat, people won't be able to connect and really play together and come together. I feel like wolfquest has lost what it once was through this, and a big part of wolfquest was learning communication and teamwork skills. Now even that is mostly taken away with the lexicon chat being taken away. Plus, I played multilayer all the time and saw little to no inappropriate games. I hope you decide to being back lexicon in the future. I'm not saying I won't play anymore, but I will definitely probably only play single games or private games.

Edit: Also, I'm basically crying now that it's been taken away I met many many friends on here and I'm sorry to see that it will be harder to make friends now that people can't connect to eachother anymore.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Please do not double post, hikerhorse. If you have something to add, edit your previous post instead.

Dark Ciel
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dark Ciel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:27 am

Wow this is really unfortunate, I highly agree with @Snowbee, but I have a very close friend on this game and I am not going to allow some stupid update from keeping me away from my friend, if I have to get here number and text her than that is what I will do, yes thi is highly Inconvent an yes the community is going to drop numbers, but I will still rp on private servers with my friends, because as much as I hate this update, life is life and that's what we have to deal with

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:57 am

hikerhorse wrote:I think getting rid of rhe Lexicon Chat was a very stupid idea and it will decrease playing time as well as income. I understand why, but now that there is only phrase chat, people won't be able to connect and really play together and come together. I feel like wolfquest has lost what it once was through this, and a big part of wolfquest was learning communication and teamwork skills. Now even that is mostly taken away with the lexicon chat being taken away. Plus, I played multilayer all the time and saw little to no inappropriate games. I hope you decide to being back lexicon in the future. I'm not saying I won't play anymore, but I will definitely probably only play single games or private games.

Edit: Also, I'm basically crying now that it's been taken away I met many many friends on here and I'm sorry to see that it will be harder to make friends now that people can't connect to eachother anymore.
Wow this is really unfortunate, I highly agree with @Snowbee, but I have a very close friend on this game and I am not going to allow some stupid update from keeping me away from my friend, if I have to get here number and text her than that is what I will do, yes thi is highly Inconvent an yes the community is going to drop numbers, but I will still rp on private servers with my friends, because as much as I hate this update, life is life and that's what we have to deal with

It's still completely possible to connect with friends, and quite honestly I feel it is much easier with in-game messaging rather than having to switch between the game and forums. It really isn't so hard to make friends on public games either- send them a request, say a hello, start a private game, etc. You can advertise on the forums too and make friends that way. I don't think teamwork and communication skills has been lost either. Public games have encouraged people to communicate not just with text chat but with their wolfs body language and vocalization, and again it's easier to communicate via in game messaging and setting up packs and friends.
Also, I'm not sure which multiplayer games you saw, but there was definitely a MAJOR issue with inappropriate games, especially during the busier MP times of day. I don't think the new system will decrease playing time or income either, I for one definitely play MP more now than I did with 2.5, co-op games are too fun and private games are a lot easier to enjoy with the unrestricted chat. And I know I would (along with many other players) would be willing to pay more for another update or episode. I think 2.7 will definitely draw in more members, the game isn't even comparable to 2.5- it's more realistic and enjoyable, nowhere near as glitchy and the new graphics and AI are wonderful. Just imagine what they could do with more funding!
Again, lexicon was going to be removed no matter what. We're incredible lucky to have a new and improved MP system like this considering we may have not had one at all. It isn't meant to be a punishment for inappropriate games and such, and unfortunately it doesn't look like lexicon will be able to be brought back. Adjusting to the new system will take a bit, but I hope with a bit of effort you'll find it easier and more enjoyable.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I feel a lot of people aren't understanding they aren't losing friends with the update. 2.7 has entirely reignited WQ, which is amazing considering the game was almost entirely dropped. People keep complaining they're losing friends but it's entitirely possible and even easier to keep up with friends now and have more robust games. The new system just takes getting used to. I honestly don't see how people can hate this update, it's fantastic.

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Space

Post by Pelican » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:00 pm

I am at a loss for words. I think I have a lump in my throat now. I can't believe this actually happened. I know that it was probably "necessary" or what have you, but... I've been roeplaying on this game for a long time now. I just can't believe it. I... I don't know what to say. I think I need a bottle of water. Great Yellowstone, this is just too much to take in. ...I feel sick.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:42 pm

Pelican wrote:I am at a loss for words. I think I have a lump in my throat now. I can't believe this actually happened. I know that it was probably "necessary" or what have you, but... I've been roeplaying on this game for a long time now. I just can't believe it. I... I don't know what to say. I think I need a bottle of water. Great Yellowstone, this is just too much to take in. ...I feel sick.
As mentioned many times on this thread, the disabling of lexicon chat has been foreshadowed for some time, now. Make an attempt to re-connect with people. Your username is pretty simply and easy to remember, so if you cannot find them, they will probably find you. Take advantage of the forums and new account system (that is, if you have or choose to upgrade to 2.7).

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:53 pm

I know people are complaining about the phrase chat, but wow, has it ever improved how people play the game! Through our actions & body language we were able to tell each other to come here, whether it was time to hunt or not, who's turn it was to carry pups (to the rendezvous site), and even letting others know which areas are safe to cross and which areas aren't by actually showing them. There's more cooperation, teamwork, and problem solving involved. And when you finally get to the rendezvous site or take down an elk together, it feels like an actual accomplishment because you communicated through body language instead of just typing out, "Let's get the bull elk!"

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:03 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:I know people are complaining about the phrase chat, but wow, has it ever improved how people play the game! Through our actions & body language we were able to tell each other to come here, whether it was time to hunt or not, who's turn it was to carry pups (to the rendezvous site), and even letting others know which areas are safe to cross and which areas aren't by actually showing them. There's more cooperation, teamwork, and problem solving involved. And when you finally get to the rendezvous site or take down an elk together, it feels like an actual accomplishment because you communicated through body language instead of just typing out, "Let's get the bull elk!"
I totally agree! It adds a new understanding to wolf behavior by forcing you to comply with your body language. I love the concept of understood communication, because it feels like your more than just apart of any old server, but part of the back on a deeper, connected level! It made me truly feel apart of something great!

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Pelican » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:30 am

Koa wrote:
Pelican wrote:I am at a loss for words. I think I have a lump in my throat now. I can't believe this actually happened. I know that it was probably "necessary" or what have you, but... I've been roeplaying on this game for a long time now. I just can't believe it. I... I don't know what to say. I think I need a bottle of water. Great Yellowstone, this is just too much to take in. ...I feel sick.
As mentioned many times on this thread, the disabling of lexicon chat has been foreshadowed for some time, now. Make an attempt to re-connect with people. Your username is pretty simply and easy to remember, so if you cannot find them, they will probably find you. Take advantage of the forums and new account system (that is, if you have or choose to upgrade to 2.7).

I am going to get 2.7 soon hopefully, I prefer the game over the forums. I bond with people better if the chat is real-time, I think. It feels more real. And sorry about that rambling it was just a knee jerk reaction.

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:19 pm

It's pretty hard to adjust to the new and yet improved phrase chat, ever since I joined back then, Lexicon chat was my go-to perspective and how I was able to chat adaptively and freely. The phrase chat option actually comes in handy and there's less aggression between players to demand you to leave at a sudden notice and such. However, that doesn't take away the non-wolf related games you see happening still. Though this allows us users to define words and phrases easily by formatted sentences or just a single word. Sure it takes time and doesn't actually stop you from having fun or connecting to others. By what I've read from other players, I can understand and sort of relate to not able to speak to others fluently like you could with Lexicon chat. However, this gives everyone a better definition of game play and less violence or neglect from person-to-person. Phrases chat is a more safer environment in most cases, you don't have people attempting to bypass the language filter anymore, that's what makes it more of a relief. Plus no inappropriate behavior to seek either, which is also a big relief.

Perhaps in the future Lexicon chat would be reborn, but I highly doubt there will be much access to speaking again, from what happened before and how a lot of words were removed and replaced by weird lingos, we'll see what they have in store.

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Pelican » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:48 pm

Glossy wrote:It's pretty hard to adjust to the new and yet improved phrase chat, ever since I joined back then, Lexicon chat was my go-to perspective and how I was able to chat adaptively and freely. The phrase chat option actually comes in handy and there's less aggression between players to demand you to leave at a sudden notice and such. However, that doesn't take away the non-wolf related games you see happening still. Though this allows us users to define words and phrases easily by formatted sentences or just a single word. Sure it takes time and doesn't actually stop you from having fun or connecting to others. By what I've read from other players, I can understand and sort of relate to not able to speak to others fluently like you could with Lexicon chat. However, this gives everyone a better definition of game play and less violence or neglect from person-to-person. Phrases chat is a more safer environment in most cases, you don't have people attempting to bypass the language filter anymore, that's what makes it more of a relief. Plus no inappropriate behavior to seek either, which is also a big relief.

Perhaps in the future Lexicon chat would be reborn, but I highly doubt there will be much access to speaking again, from what happened before and how a lot of words were removed and replaced by weird lingos, we'll see what they have in store.

I hope it will be reborn. Maybe if they get enough funding from money spent on the full version of 2.7?

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Post by PeltOfAsh » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:08 pm

CaffeineCollie wrote:Lexicon chat isn't coming back. As has been said on the first post of the topic and about a dozen times since, it was always going to be removed. The Minnesota Zoo and Eduweb had an agreement to remove it once 2.7 was released. The likelihood of this agreement being altered is nonexistent.
This still stands. Lexicon is not at all likely to come back.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:57 pm

If your still complaining about Lexicon being removed, private chat is there with less restricted. I don't get what you guys are stinking out about because now you can just get your buddies found and establish private servers, heck even packs that you can message everyone in it at once the name and password that you'd use for private games for the pack. That idea was great to put in by the way, I like that you can message everyone in your pack at once.

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Pelican wrote:I hope it will be reborn. Maybe if they get enough funding from money spent on the full version of 2.7?
Perhaps, even though private games are a plus for having this as an extension with limited access too.
Snow130 wrote:If your still complaining about Lexicon being removed, private chat is there with less restricted. I don't get what you guys are stinking out about because now you can just get your buddies found and establish private servers, heck even packs that you can message everyone in it at once the name and password that you'd use for private games for the pack. That idea was great to put in by the way, I like that you can message everyone in your pack at once.
It's been just as easy to make an open room as a host and just play it out without phrase chat. Sure a private game may not seem that much of a difference, it was just easier to not go through all that and wait for replies from your pack or friends to make a private session of game play...