Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by Koa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:22 pm

WolfLife2334 wrote:NOOOOOO my rp life is ruined thats ok i hope they will find a way to return it soon :shock: :)
The lexicon will not be making a return in 2.5.; it is gone for good.
midnight1975 wrote:I understand, but really this is very unfair to players that are not abusing this. Yeah there are quite a few players that really do abuse it but in my opinion, it is not fair at all to those who don't and like to chat freely with their friends. For me, I don't play on private games, I like to join random games to meet new people and have some fun. Now that you have taken that away, I really don't want to play anymore... Not to be offensive or anything... :? Please reconsider. :(
This plan is not new and has been in the works for some time, and honestly, it is surprising that the lexicon chat lasted as long as it did. I'm sorry.

mkehrt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by mkehrt » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:23 pm

I purchased WolfQuest 2.7 and to log in it says we must enter a Key. This key would have come in the email receipt. It did not. This has been a very difficult purchase through all the steps it takes to get the new game.

Weylenn
Pup
Pup

Post by Weylenn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm surprised you guys didn't get in tons of trouble with those kinds of RPs happening. Hopefully this will allow for a push in sales and also maybe a smartening-up in player behavior.

On that note.. Did you guys ever have like, any scary lawsuit threats or whatever?

Also: To those talking about it being unfair, the kinds of inappropriate RPs going on were ILLEGAL as far as i know, so I rather them shut down lexicon than risk getting sued or get a cease and desist note. Consider.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:28 pm

mkehrt wrote:I purchased WolfQuest 2.7 and to log in it says we must enter a Key. This key would have come in the email receipt. It did not. This has been a very difficult purchase through all the steps it takes to get the new game.

Looks like someone had a similar problem on the first page.
loboLoco wrote:
lonewolf3656 wrote:i respect your choice but i cant log in on wolf quest 2.7, i brought it and i made an account on it, and i wrote in the key and it said that it sent an email to me but it never came so i cant activate my account so now i wont be able to do anything
send an email to info@wolfquest.org with your email address and username in 2.7.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Weylenn wrote:On that note.. Did you guys ever have like, any scary lawsuit threats or whatever?
We never did. We had a few momentary scares, and believe me, many people were concerned something worse. It truly is amazing that the Minnesota Zoo supported it for so long.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

DemonkittenXIII
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DemonkittenXIII » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:12 pm

I AGREE COMPLETLY! and how do we get the private chat information? like the password! you dont.... it will just shut down.. I would definatly buy 2.7 but now that you shut down all the fun rps.... I don't want to any more. I met some of my closest friends on WQ chat rooms.... and WQ you took that away from me I still have so many more friends I want to rp with

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:49 pm

DemonkittenXIII wrote:I AGREE COMPLETLY! and how do we get the private chat information? like the password! you dont.... it will just shut down.. I would definatly buy 2.7 but now that you shut down all the fun rps.... I don't want to any more. I met some of my closest friends on WQ chat rooms.... and WQ you took that away from me I still have so many more friends I want to rp with
You private message users here on the forums or use the new user account system to message users,

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:34 pm

dangerisback wrote:that's not fair, you selfish people, you all just want money
How dare they want a roof over their heads and the ability to feed themselves and their family! ;)
Seriously though, they need to pay the developers, who are doing this at their actual 40-hour-a-week job (and some of them were putting in a lot more than that, more like 70-hour weeks, prior to release of 2.7). As others have mentioned, that cost pre-2.5 was covered by grants and donations; the goal was to make a wolf game and do a study on its impact on players. They made the game, the study was done, and funding ran out in 2011. (The original National Science Foundation grant for the game was, by the way, $508,253. And they actually ended up needing a lot more money than that; if I'm remembering right, that mostly went toward Amethyst Mountain, I think? The forum alone, according to the paper they wrote about it, cost at least $1000/year as of 2009 to keep it running.)
Due to the fact that they no longer have grants/donations paying for the game, they would not have been able to make 2.7 at all without having it as a paid game.

(By the way, they actually had plans as early as 2012 to kill off lexicon chat anyway, before 2.7 was even an idea.)
DemonkittenXIII wrote:I AGREE COMPLETLY! and how do we get the private chat information? like the password! you dont.... it will just shut down.. I would definatly buy 2.7 but now that you shut down all the fun rps.... I don't want to any more. I met some of my closest friends on WQ chat rooms.... and WQ you took that away from me I still have so many more friends I want to rp with
If you want to play with random people, there's the "Advertise your multiplayer games here!" thread, and people also tend to share them in the official WolfQuest FB group. There's also actually a FB group dedicated solely to finding people to play in a private game with.

silver bow
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by silver bow » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:59 pm

In am really disappointed about this choice. One of my favorite parts was loging on and playing with different people. We could create stories that were fun. Now that is gone and I don't want to play anymore.The imaginative part was the best and now that is gone. We can't use our creativity or get to play with others. Now we can't say what we want or comment on the scenery. Now we can only say basic stuff that doesn't come from us. We can just use the boring commands that are giving to us. I'm not playing this game again because it had lost the best part about it.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:27 pm

silver bow wrote:In am really disappointed about this choice. One of my favorite parts was loging on and playing with different people. We could create stories that were fun. Now that is gone and I don't want to play anymore.The imaginative part was the best and now that is gone. We can't use our creativity or get to play with others. Now we can't say what we want or comment on the scenery. Now we can only say basic stuff that doesn't come from us. We can just use the boring commands that are giving to us. I'm not playing this game again because it had lost the best part about it.
I'm sorry. I encourage you to look into 2.7.; the new user account system does make it possible to interact with other players better and will allow you to coordinate games more efficiently, as well. I want to re-emphasize, however, that this "decision," or "choice," if you will, has been under consideration for some time now. Given the past issues with funding and the previous outlook for WolfQuest, it didn't help that inappropriate behavior was going on in the troublesome multiplayer, and, coupled with the issues surrounding WolfQuest, I encourage you to be sympathetic to the decision they were considering and inevitably had to make. Perhaps if fortune had favored WolfQuest differently back then, things might have traveled on another path. That, however, is not the reality of the situation. The lexicon, while frustrating and a general for everyone involved, had a good run-- and a much, much longer run than expected. This sounds blunt, but be grateful. Everyone expected this lexicon to be gone long ago, and time and time again its existence was prolonged, and its removal delayed. No one even expected that the forums would be around anymore, and we were told that the game would not continue. Things have changed and will continue to change. This has been a change that, frankly, was long overdue.

Mr Brightside
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mr Brightside » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:42 pm

Your ruining the game why are you doing this? Your going to lose more than half the wolf quest population. This is your worst decision you guys have made. I don't care about 2.7, you can't even chat openly there either! So your going to ruin it because we role play? Tell me what is wrong with role playing... How is that bad! Please tell me. Role play is fun and there is nothing wrong with it, I know people abuse other things, but really role playing!

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:53 pm

@ the people complaining: chill.
No, really. Y'all all sound like you don't know anything about marketing, money, and lawsuits. So sit. Back down.
Trust me, as Dave stated, if they only cared about the money, they wouldn't be doing this. Because this sort of thing doesn't bring a lot of money in. I bet the 2.7 funding is only going to new WQ games, not actual profit.
Wolfquest isn't your only rp opportunity. In fact, you can start a pack on the forums, make nice private games for it and get the same, if not better, experience than before. Or even migrate off site. Wolfquest isn't the only wolf geared game out there, nor is it the only place to rp wolves.

TreeTops
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Playing Skyrim and The Witcher 3. Roleplaying and reading my eyes out.

Post by TreeTops » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:56 pm

(I'm posting this here because it's somewhat relevant.)

''Join us in fighting against this lexicon banning madness, don't you want it back well we are here to fight for it don't buy the new version. You can't role-play in public servers because there is no lexicon in there either why pay for only private servers. Stop this by joining the Lexicon Army and sending messages to the creators to bring it back! We must protest and fight!''

I'm getting PMs from this user asking me to join their revolution. They're planning on spamming the mods and, quote, ''...make them angry, upset, whatever!''

''What do you have to risk! Your account is practically worth less now, only messaging on forums! Acting sane? You think rebelling against their decision is immature? Your pathetic, weak to not fight for something you care about. You give into what they decide pfft your never gonna get far being a push over and not fighting back.''

I'm pretty sure they sent it to every online user. I'm not happy about Lexicon disappearing, but this is even more annoying.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re:

Post by loboLoco » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Mr Brightside wrote:Your going to lose more than half the wolf quest population.
Look on the bright side (sorry, couldn't resist). That's better than the original plan, which was to lose the entire WolfQuest population by shutting down lexicon chat with nothing new to replace it. And in fact, chatting is better than ever in 2.7, it's just limited to private games.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

luckycavy117
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by luckycavy117 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Well, okay then. This is frustrating, but I can deal with it.