Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Weylenn
Pup
Pup

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by Weylenn » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:28 am

Kenta_Akita wrote:I have an idea.

Why not make a separate server for the younger kids, that have phrase chat?
But for the teens, older, and MUCH older, have text chat?

You do ask for our ages before we register, so I would hope you can separate the two by doing that.

You can still have the censored chat and all, but i'm sure it's mostly parents concerned of what their 8 year old is seeing/hearing while playing, So I think making a separate server for older kids/adults would sound reasonable, and bring back role-play in the game. :D
The problem with this is that hosting a server costs money. Money that the team needs to put towards making back what they spent, and then a POSSIBLE (stress on possible, not definite) 3rd episode. Not to mention I'm pretty sure there's laws in the states regarding people under 13 being in public online spaces. (If a mod wants to correct this and elaborate, go ahead! =) ) Also, there is nothing stopping a creepy person from lying about their age and putting it younger than it is.

elementleskys
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by elementleskys » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:44 am

i do respect the change, even if its sad. and it was very childesh for my sister and i to send a email to dave on why they should add the lexicon chat back to 2.5. we where angry for we are poor so we cant afford the 10 2.7.
any way i will save some change and get the 2.7 game later.

StormWolf250
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by StormWolf250 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:24 pm

I am not sad or angry at this at all because its kinda fun to use the phrase chat for me.

midnight1975
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by midnight1975 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Okay, at first I was really angry and upset when this was posted. But I'm not so much anymore. When I first bought the game it wouldn't work at all. It froze, glitched and crashed. Now it is great. But I do have a few suggestions to make it a little better.
1. When you howl, your mate howls. But when they are across the map they sound like they are right beside you.
2. Maybe be able to go inside the den.
3. Please make the territory marking go up more than 1% at a time. I don't know about anyone else but having to tap the P button 100 times gets a little annoying xD
4. And PLEASE make a urination animation for females (if possible)
Thanks.

stacymaisy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by stacymaisy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Dx
I understand that wolfquest 2.7 came out but I enjoy playing wolfquest 2.5
because I can't just pay the full for 10.
Now I see that the servers are less.. :(

Drains784
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: hmm.. why would i tell you, are you a ped... just kidding, i'm from Sweden.

Post by Drains784 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:15 pm

I understand the reasons why you removed lexicon chat and i'm glad it lasted so long as it did but even on the 2.7 update, how are you supposed to meet new people. I mean, through phrase chat of course but, it'll obviously be harder to make friends through phrase chat though. It's just, is it worth the money?

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:57 pm

I'd actually like to thank you for disabling lexicon.
I was online once in 2.5 after 2.7 was released, and I still saw servers, titling where people wanted graphic rp.
It's disgusting, really it is.
People don't care what filters you put on.
Have you seen the list of words people used to bypass the filter?
It's practically endless.
And you put a stop to all the nonsense.
I hope nobody in 2.7 is still doing this,
unless they want deja vu of what happened 2 days ago.

stonegaze
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by stonegaze » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:10 pm

xocidious wrote:This decision I think will make WolfQuest less popular as a game now. I LOVED role playing on this game with (almost) freedom of speech, and able to have a wonderful time roleplaying with other people online. Now, with the phrase chat, I am not even aloud to tell other wolves my name, gender, or anything about myself :'(( this makes it really hard to make friends! We can't even share jokes, descriptions, ideas and our own thoughts. With Lexicon chat disabled, I really don't see a point to this game anymore. I completed the private game, and now ( in my opinion ) the public games are pretty much worthless. I know a lot of people who agree, and we are all deleting the game off of our computers and finding a new site with freedom of speech.
I understand the WQ Board's reasons for changing the chat, but in my opinion, the pros DO NOT out weigh the cons! There will be a dramatic drop in online activity, making income decrease even more.
I really hope the WQ Board reconsiders their decision! :((
I agree SO MUCH with this quote. As someone who enjoyed meeting new people through the lexicon chat on WQ 2.5, this is extremely disappointing. There truly is no point to the public games as there is nothing to do other than run around. I also cannot afford to purchase the new game and I do not feel like going through the trouble of making a new account, it is just easier to delete the game and find a new one. It is a shame that this decisions was made, pretty much ruining the game for those who are unable to purchase the new version. It is unfair to those people, and I hope it is reconsidered.

EDIT:
Drains784 wrote:I understand the reasons why you removed lexicon chat and i'm glad it lasted so long as it did but even on the 2.7 update, how are you supposed to meet new people. I mean, through phrase chat of course but, it'll obviously be harder to make friends through phrase chat though. It's just, is it worth the money?
It really is a shame. I LOVED making so many new friends through this game and finding new people to RP with, but who is there to make a private game with if you cannot even meet people? Even though I don't have the money, I don't believe it is worth it. There is point to the public option, which I enjoyed so much and used the game mostly for. I understand the board's reasoning, but I do not believe the pros outweigh the cons. While they are trying to keep it family friendly, they have to realize there is a broad age range and they won't be able to please everyone. They are severely damaging their demographic and profit margins by this decisions. Many people will not purchase the new game solely for the fact that they have butchered the public option. It really is a shame.
Last edited by Masika on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding information from double post.

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:17 pm

stonegaze wrote:
Drains784 wrote:I understand the reasons why you removed lexicon chat and i'm glad it lasted so long as it did but even on the 2.7 update, how are you supposed to meet new people. I mean, through phrase chat of course but, it'll obviously be harder to make friends through phrase chat though. It's just, is it worth the money?
It really is a shame. I LOVED making so many new friends through this game and finding new people to RP with, but who is there to make a private game with if you cannot even meet people? Even though I don't have the money, I don't believe it is worth it. There is point to the public option, which I enjoyed so much and used the game mostly for. I understand the board's reasoning, but I do not believe the pros outweigh the cons. While they are trying to keep it family friendly, they have to realize there is a broad age range and they won't be able to please everyone. They are severely damaging their demographic and profit margins by this decisions. Many people will not purchase the new game solely for the fact that they have butchered the public option. It really is a shame.
Please try not to double post there stonegaze as it's against the forum guidelines. If you want to add something extra to your posts to avoid double posting in the future, you can always use the edit feature! Thanks. :]

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:18 pm

Sorry, I can't delay it. My agreement with the Minnesota Zoo was that we'd shut down lexicon chat after releasing 2.7. It's already had a much longer run than anyone expected when we made this plan back in 2011, and the only reason it's remained active this long is because it took us forever to finish 2.7.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=77817
I do not believe there is any chance of this being reconsidered. The lexicon wasn't really supposed to last this long, but it did because 2.7's development took so long. Now that 2.7 has been released, the lexicon had to be shut down because of the agreement with the Minnesota Zoo. It's unfortunate and seems unfair to people who did not abuse it, but it's something that had to be done. If it couldn't have been delayed to a later date, then I imagine it can't be reversed.
2.7 has an in-game messaging feature you can use to set up private games with the filtered chat, which allows a lot more freedom than lexicon ever did because it is filtered through a list of disallowed words rather than there being a list of words that are allowed. There's also voice chat, though I imagine most people will probably prefer text chat over voice chat, especially with people they've just met. You also always have the forums to go to for meeting new people. So even though public games in 2.7 are restricted to phrase chat, it's not impossible to meet new people.

SketchCat
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SketchCat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:03 pm

I am sad to hear that chat has been closed off :( , but after watching the trailer, I found out what i want for Christmas. I am excited for Wolf Quest 2.7 AND I hope every one else is to. :D

Whitetigress55
Pup
Pup

Post by Whitetigress55 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:30 pm

Thank you Staff for working so hard on making the game. Not only that, but trying to right every wrong on the forums. The angry people who don't seem to understand to be thankful for 2.7, for example. I don't have the full version yet, but if I love the demo, I can only guess how I'll feel when I get the full version. If there's one thing that's unfair about WolfQuest, it's the people who aren't being nice to the Staff. Thanks for making WolfQuest 2.7!

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:43 pm

midnight1975 wrote: 4. And PLEASE make a urination animation for females (if possible)
Thanks.

Actually, I discovered female wolves do often raise their legs to urinate and not always squat. Not sure what makes them squat and what makes them raise their legs, but both female wolves at my local zoo raise their legs sometimes, and I've seen several videos and photos of females not squatting to urinate or mark. So it wouldn't be necessarily something important to add. Although perhaps if the funds were there it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Snowbee
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Snowbee » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:00 pm

That's sad to hear, I guess my time on wq is over. I wish for you all it know, the past couple of months I have been playing this game I have met so many great people and I was really happy, but I guess that doesn't matter anymore. My best friend ember wolf1 already has 2.7 and I haven't spoke to her in weeks, and the one person that was rude to me, we were finally friends again. Sad to say I Guess all of this meant nothing, this highly inconvient update will change the community forever, some may agree but many won't, I'm guessing the community will decrease a lot, I wish you all the best, but I don't know if the game will be the same, especially loosing so many people. Being able to get on here and talk to my friends was my favorite thing of the game, and I can't stand to play it without that part of it, sorry but I probably won't be on wq a lot, I hope this game will stay strong because I did enjoy it once...
Last edited by Snowbee on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:05 pm

@Snowbee: 2.5.1 is final -- it will not undergo any further development, To my awareness, the changes you have proposed would require an update specific to 2.5, which is not possible as that version is finished and the team would rather spend time developing and improving 2.7. Sorry! As the removal of lexicon is permanent, you'll have to make do with other chatting methods, such as using the forums' private messaging system. As explained in the first post, this has been pending for long enough already.