Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

DeeVee7278
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by DeeVee7278 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:07 am

i respect your decision but :cry: please reconsider :(

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:54 am

Echoing SolitaryHowl, I'm also glad (dare I say relieved?) to see the closure of lexicon chat. It was a fair effort on the team's part; it had its ups and downs, but ultimately, I would think that it is better that it ends this way. That system has seen too much abuse and it's hardly fair on anyone, really; I respect the people who did not abuse it to bypass and ignore multiplayer rules. It had a good run while it lasted, but it's time to put lexicon to rest and allow the team to focus on the current version.

@Kamaal: Following what was said here, information relating to entering contests, criteria to qualify and similar information will be posted starting from next week. ;)

@DeeVee7278: I'm sorry, but the decision was made and as Dave already said, has been pending since 2011. You're welcome to try entering the upcoming monthly contests for a chance to get a free copy of 2.7, but beyond that, lexicon's closure has been long overdue. We're fortunate the team even came back to update the game and allow the community's existence to even continue at all. The original decision involved forum lock-down, lexicon removal much earlier than yesterday and no new updates, which would have meant the project and its entire user base was set to fade away completely. With 2.7, the project at least has a chance to continue. For most of WQ's supporters, this is better than the alternative.

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:22 am

Alright, thank you for the info Neam ^^

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:23 am

I'm glad it lasted as long as it did. I was sure it would close in 2014.
Also, to everyone being rude, isn't going to bring it back. I know everyone is upset, but we have 2.7.

amethystrose
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Hypnotic

Post by amethystrose » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:39 am

Ever since 2.7 came out, I've been more drawn to it than in 2.5. So I'm not that disappointed that the Lexicon chat was disabled in the last version, because chats in 2.7 have gotten better, especially with private games. Although, I do understand that there had been mishaps with people not cooperating as they should and breaking the rules, bypassing the filter with saying words that were similar to the ones that were banned, and other things. I'm agreeing that Phrase Chat is a better option for open public games, because it provides a "safety wall" for younger users from older users. I have heard that more phrases will be added to Phrase Chat, as more suggestions are given, am I right? I did take the time to read everything, and I completely understand. I just won't be playing 2.5 as much anymore since I'm very much tangled into the new version.
Goodbye Lexicon Chat in 2.5. May the safety of our users be forever in our hearts. :)

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:43 am

amethystrose wrote:Ever since 2.7 came out, I've been more drawn to it than in 2.5. So I'm not that disappointed that the Lexicon chat was disabled in the last version, because chats in 2.7 have gotten better, especially with private games. Although, I do understand that there had been mishaps with people not cooperating as they should and breaking the rules, bypassing the filter with saying words that were similar to the ones that were banned, and other things. I'm agreeing that Phrase Chat is a better option for open public games, because it provides a "safety wall" for younger users from older users. I have heard that more phrases will be added to Phrase Chat, as more suggestions are given, am I right? I did take the time to read everything, and I completely understand. I just won't be playing 2.5 as much anymore since I'm very much tangled into the new version.
Goodbye Lexicon Chat in 2.5. May the safety of our users be forever in our hearts. :)
That is actually the nicest and most beautiful post I've seen on this topic. Why can't more people be reacting this way, instead of being rude, inconsiderate people? I agree with every word in this post, it's a good thing to see lexicon chat go away, it's safer for everyone and prevents inappropriate behaviour.

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:53 am

CakeWolfy wrote:
amethystrose wrote:Ever since 2.7 came out, I've been more drawn to it than in 2.5. So I'm not that disappointed that the Lexicon chat was disabled in the last version, because chats in 2.7 have gotten better, especially with private games. Although, I do understand that there had been mishaps with people not cooperating as they should and breaking the rules, bypassing the filter with saying words that were similar to the ones that were banned, and other things. I'm agreeing that Phrase Chat is a better option for open public games, because it provides a "safety wall" for younger users from older users. I have heard that more phrases will be added to Phrase Chat, as more suggestions are given, am I right? I did take the time to read everything, and I completely understand. I just won't be playing 2.5 as much anymore since I'm very much tangled into the new version.
That is actually the nicest and most beautiful post I've seen on this topic. Why can't more people be reacting this way, instead of being rude, inconsiderate people? I agree with every word in this post, it's a good thing to see lexicon chat go away, it's safer for everyone and prevents inappropriate behaviour.
I totally agree with Amethyst's and Cakewolfie's sayings, I'm glad that the abuse of the lexicon is finally over, but I'm disappointed as well since I can't purchase the game at this time. I guess, I'll just have to wait, everything can be solved, at least that's what I believe.
I hope to see you soon on 2.7 again.
Thanks for bringing up a contest Dave, it will really help some people (including myself, if I win) to get the game they love so much.

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:58 am

Kamaal wrote:
CakeWolfy wrote:
I totally agree with Amethyst's and Cakewolfie's sayings, I'm glad that the abuse of the lexicon is finally over, but I'm disappointed as well since I can't purchase the game at this time. I guess, I'll just have to wait, everything can be solved, at least that's what I believe.
I hope to see you soon on 2.7 again.
Thanks for bringing up a contest Dave, it will really help some people (including myself, if I win) to get the game they love so much.
Agreed. Can't wait for the contest as well, as I currently don't have a means to buy the game, even if I do have the money. Wish all who plan on participating in the contest well, may you enjoy the contest, and even win! But yeah, seeing lexicon go away actually made me happy, although purchasing the game at this time will be a challenge for me.

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:59 am

I wish you best of luck ^^

SilkenGalaxy

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:00 am

Kamaal wrote:I wish you best of luck ^^
Thank you

I wish the best to you too! ^.^

isaiahwashington1
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: kiba
Location: Yakutsk, ул. Новопортовная, Yakutsk, Sakha Republic, Russia

Post by isaiahwashington1 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:24 am

Really should have seen this coming i have been seeing the same thing thinking the wouldnt catch on to it but hey for some they had said my brother also make a point to, for some networking games they make good money not to ask people from around the world to put there money in this like( WORLD OF TANKS, WAR OF WAR CRAFT or something like that or MINECRAFT great american game just to say and others that are good on other as set things. :idea:

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:02 am

For those who are unable to purchase 2.7 due to currency issues: Can you elaborate on that? So PayPal and credit cards are not possible for you to use, or is it some other obstacle? Are you able to purchase games on Steam or Humble Bundle or Amazon?
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Eliza Doolittle
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Eliza Doolittle » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:25 am

To Who It May Concern:

I have not ever before spoke up against something in this game. Never. I found no faults, except for a few glitches here and there, but I could deal with that. Yesterday, today, and every other day from now on, I have a problem that I cannot deal with any loner. Now is the time where I draw the line and take my stand. I am going to help the loyal and faithful players on my side. I feel that taking away lexicon chat is very unfair, especially without a lot of warning. Yesterday morning it was there, at noon, gone. No warning when lexicon chat would be taken away. It just disappeared. Unfortunately for the makers of Wolf Quest, I believe that they have lost (and are still) a lot of players, ones who have been on almost since the beginning of the game. Some just came on Wolf Quest just for the roleplaying. I should know. For I was one of them. Without lexicon chat, us players will not be able to roleplay as freely as in the past. Even if we couldn't say everything that we liked, we still had our dignity. Now we have no freewill to write and talk about things that we liked. All the friends that I have made I cannot number, for there were too many. Now, someone, pray tell, how will I meet these lovely players? How? Using filtered or even disabled chat? Well, that's a laugh. As for me, I will no longer play this game and definitely will NOT buy 2.7, which I was planning to do for myself and my family members who play Wolf Quest. I have completed the single player Wolf Quest at least five times. That got boring, so I don't do that anymore. My main focus on this game was to roleplay. Now that is gone. My interest in Wolf Quest is gone. Left forever. For any of my friends who are reading this (you know who you are) goodbye. I hope someday we will meet on another free roleplay site, where we have freedom of speech. Farewell.

Sincerely,
Eliza D.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:34 am

I am sorry to read how disappointed you are about the lexicon being taken away. It is understandable, but I do want to point a few things out.
Eliza Doolittle wrote: Yesterday morning it was there, at noon, gone. No warning when lexicon chat would be taken away. It just disappeared.
I fear that it was impossible to give a prior announcement within the game itself. Instead, as you can read in the first post, the fact that lexicon would eventually be taken away has long been discussed on the forums. It honestly has been living on borrowed time for the past years, and the heads-up was given on here, which you have to understand was to the best of the team's abilites.
Eliza Doolittle wrote:Now, someone, pray tell, how will I meet these lovely players? How? Using filtered or even disabled chat? Well, that's a laugh.
I can see where you are coming from placed in a 2.5 perspective, but now 2.7 is released I do want to stress that this is not entirely fair. Despite having phrased chat, WolfQuest 2.7 made it a lot easier to communicate with your friends through the user account system, and private games allow for a lot more freedom of speech than 2.5's lexicon chat ever did. It is true that you cannot really meet 'new' people in the way 2.5 allowed you to, but that is partly what the forums are for, and on top of that people in 2.7 have already found ways to invite people to be their friend or to join their private game. It would take getting used to, of course, but it is not as if 2.7 has rendered it impossible to talk to new and old people - on the contrary.

Please understand I am not trying to invalidate your disappointment or disregarding your arguments. I hope this gave some extra insight, and will perhaps make you feel a bit better about the situation, even though you made it clear you have no current interest in 2.7 (which honestly could be a loss).

Dorken
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Dorken » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:02 am

I've got to admit, I'm actually rather glad that lexicon is finally gone. Nobody really enjoyed it - the people who minded the rules found it too difficult to work with, the people who broke the rules found it too easy to abuse. It was a pain in the tuckus to properly roleplay with.
I would highly recommend 2.7's private game chat forms. Seriously, they blow lexicon out of the water. I've been able to have conversations and roleplays that would never have been possible in lexicon, and they were wonderful. I understand the issue of not everyone being able to buy 2.7 right now, though I do hope that they can get access to it in the future. It's worth it.
duskypack wrote:Honestly, the chatting in 2.7 is flawless! As for free chat, I saw someone who organized a public game called 'Make private game'. She friended everyone, messaged them the name and password and within minutes we could freely chat! It was a lot of fun talking with everybody about life and raising pups. Honestly I think all the the people putting up a fight are the ones who don't know how awesome 2.7 is!
Anddd if you joined Wolfquest for roleplaying, then either join a pack here or play Feral Hearts or whatever.
I've seen games like that around and they really do work for bringing in potential new RP partners and friends. I also figure you're right, most of the people who are getting upset don't have 2.7, so they can't compare the new forms of chat with lexicon.
I actually think that this decision may help bring more people onto the forums. After all, unless you want to risk getting some nasty viruses, you get the game from the official website, so you'd probably end up poking around a bit if you're new to it. Sure, there are some people who never go onto the forums or only ever make one or two posts before leaving forever, but maybe now they'll have more motivation to be active here?
I also agree with people saying that there are other wolf games out there that allow you can more freely roleplay on. I guess it sorta comes down to a less blunt "If you don't like it, you don't have to play it" by saying that there are likely other games out there that will cater to your roleplaying needs if you can't have or don't want WQ 2.7 (though I'd highly recommend it). I'd stay away from FeralHeart, though - the community isn't very nice and it was recently hacked by some very unsavory characters, not to mention how random open registration is.