Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and game, or read and enter our monthly giveaway contest.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by PeltOfAsh » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:07 pm

The vastly improved chat options in the honestly underpriced 2.7 multiplayer definitely void any claims that lexicon chat was better. Text chat in private games allows you to actually make sentences and talk coherently. I don't know why you would prefer a chat option that cuts about half of the operative words you would use to coordinate in an rp to one that allows you near uninhibited chat. Just my two cents toward the people who are complaining.

twilightwolf_23
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by twilightwolf_23 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Well I mean this is frustrating and I probably won't play again due to this "decision". I won't be playing the new version because I'm not going to spend ten dollars on a game but it is what it is I guess might as well just delete the 2.5 version and move on.

(People are already protesting about how wrong the decision is)

Mr Darkside
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re:

Post by Mr Darkside » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:14 pm

Brightside you need to calm down right now, the new update aint so bad come on little bright try it out.

Faolan Edme
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Faolan Edme » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:26 pm

I was someone who was big on role playing and I honestly think this decision will have a negative effect on the amount of purchases since it was one of the only things keeping some players on. I still enjoy wolfquest and bought the new version but the popularity of lexicon chat for rps will most likely cause the player count to drop. Even though it was abused maybe lexicon could be brought back but maybe an age range could be selected for rps or a button that can be clicked to report someone immeadiantly for not following rules but I doubt it will and rping will be missed in public play.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:06 pm

Honestly, the chatting in 2.7 is flawless! As for free chat, I saw someone who organized a public game called 'Make private game'. She friended everyone, messaged them the name and password and within minutes we could freely chat! It was a lot of fun talking with everybody about life and raising pups. Honestly I think all the the people putting up a fight are the ones who don't know how awesome 2.7 is!

As for 'worthless' accounts, there is in-game messaging, achievements, friends list, packs you can make, multiple wolves you can have under the same username! What's not to be excited about?

Anddd if you joined Wolfquest for roleplaying, then either join a pack here or play Feral Hearts or whatever.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:39 pm

duskypack wrote:Honestly, the chatting in 2.7 is flawless! As for free chat, I saw someone who organized a public game called 'Make private game'. She friended everyone, messaged them the name and password and within minutes we could freely chat! It was a lot of fun talking with everybody about life and raising pups. Honestly I think all the the people putting up a fight are the ones who don't know how awesome 2.7 is!

As for 'worthless' accounts, there is in-game messaging, achievements, friends list, packs you can make, multiple wolves you can have under the same username! What's not to be excited about?

Anddd if you joined Wolfquest for roleplaying, then either join a pack here or play Feral Hearts or whatever.
I agree completely!

Besides, personally I'm glad I'm not seeing Unicorn and etc RPs in a wolf game.

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 pm

I'm not saying that WQ 2.7 isn't far better than 2.5, but sadly some people (including myself) are not able to buy it till late next year. I'm not able to do so, due to some problems occurring in my country. Since they blocked all the cards, I'm afraid I can't purchase it... So hopefully I'll return in late 2016...

Kipcha28

Post by Kipcha28 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:29 am

Kamaal wrote:I'm not saying that WQ 2.7 isn't far better than 2.5, but sadly some people (including myself) are not able to buy it till late next year. I'm not able to do so, due to some problems occurring in my country. Since they blocked all the cards, I'm afraid I can't purchase it... So hopefully I'll return in late 2016...
Dave has already announced that there'll be contests held to win free keys - I believe he even said the first one will be next week.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:30 am

Skybreaker wrote:@ the people complaining: chill.
No, really. Y'all all sound like you don't know anything about marketing, money, and lawsuits. So sit. Back down.
Trust me, as Dave stated, if they only cared about the money, they wouldn't be doing this. Because this sort of thing doesn't bring a lot of money in. I bet the 2.7 funding is only going to new WQ games, not actual profit.
Wolfquest isn't your only rp opportunity. In fact, you can start a pack on the forums, make nice private games for it and get the same, if not better, experience than before. Or even migrate off site. Wolfquest isn't the only wolf geared game out there, nor is it the only place to rp wolves.
Yes people, calm down. The constant complaints are getting very annoying, especially since there's always 2.7 where, despite everything's in private games now, it's a much better version, and honestly, I think it's better that we're being forced into private games. Open games have been a pain in the butt, from people being rude, to seeing the chat room filled with "Meat RP"s. This is actually the best decision the team made, and I approve of it. If you don't like it, that's your problem, quit the game if you want, I'm staying. Sorry if it sounds rude, but it is what it is.

journey2009
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by journey2009 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:31 am

Wow. I'm honestly speechless at how immature people are being about this. Seriously, it isn't that bad. Yes, it's sad that you can't just join a free game and role-play. But 2.7 is so much better! Not only that, but everyone should be grateful there is even a WolfQuest to play at all!

Anyways, I respect the choice to shut the Lexicon Chat in 2.5. In fact, I'm honestly glad they did disable it. WolfQuest team, don't let this get you guys down, you've all worked so hard! :)

ArtSwirl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ArtSwirl » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:50 am

I understand why this happened, it has very good reasoning, but the multiplayer part of it was all through communication, yes, there were many inappropriate people with inappropriate role play on some games but that wasn't the entire thing. I mostly played the game to Role Play with others or do hunting. I enjoyed being able to communicate with others well, the filtered chat was frustrating at times, but I could have put up with it. This is just my opinion though, but to me the lexicon chat being removed cut the cord of communication, it leaves us with simple phrases that take a while to put together into a sentence, it would be harder to do what you want to do, and thus making less people want to play the game, single player is great and all but the multiplayer was a big part of giving the game its popularity, removing the chat cut everyone off, what has happened is simply the people who can't buy the game are left with 2.5, where multiplayer is big, along with RP. Where that RP thing is gone, and it's simple phrases, if I saw that a year or two ago I would have taken the older version that breaks my computer and dealt with the drama. I understand that this is just saying, "Yes, you can play this, but if you want to be able to do your multiplayer thing you need to get the latest version of the game." which I can respect, but it was kinda disappointing that lexicon would be removed. I came back to play just to RP again and now I can't really do that. 
It seems very unfair to people who don't do bad things or abuse the lexicon chat option, a majority of the people who use it are good people and do simply Role Play, and the ones that do abuse it, I believe can simply be banned or something, It's just my idea and probably not a good one, but a banning system I believe is here, I just don't think about it, I'm glad you actually gave reasoning though, a lot of people don't when shutting something down.
(The next part can be ignored, it's just me kinda feeling sad)
Many games I've played or parts of the games I've played are gone, for instance Free Realms, Word of Warcraft was ripped from my hands the moment I started to enjoy it, Wizard101 and Pirate101 are the only things remaining along with Wolf Quest, WolfQuest was a game I played at a young age (about 8 1/2 or 9) and I was before 2.5, of course I didn't have an account then because at the time I didn't want to join the community and would rather stick to another and just enjoy the game as the game, I did, but now I'm seeing it just kinda slowly go away and out of my reach, paying for something is the hardest part of this. It gets hard for me as there's so many games I wanna play but have no money to pay for them. I was happy that WolfQuest was free, but then it was improved so much, which I loved, I knew it would be costing money now, but I was happy that then there was even the fact that you could still get the older version for free. Which I thank you for giving us the ability to do that. Now as the lexicon chat was removed I kinda lost my purpose to play it anymore, I beat the game before, the only challenge left would be just to simply beat the game perfectly, but that's it. Then I'd be back to just Wizard101 and Pirate101, which are good games and I reccomend you play them, but I hate being unable to go back into a multiplayer world with the freedom of speech and not have to pay for it, Wizard101 and Pirate101 have this problem, and now the only remaining game has joined in, I don't like having to pay to be able to speak, and do what I did before, but if I need to, I'm ok with it. Or I'll just be silent the whole time and eventually quit.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:04 am

ArtSwirl wrote:I understand why this happened, it has very good reasoning, but the multiplayer part of it was all through communication, yes, there were many inappropriate people with inappropriate role play on some games but that wasn't the entire thing. I mostly played the game to Role Play with others or do hunting. I enjoyed being able to communicate with others well, the filtered chat was frustrating at times, but I could have put up with it. This is just my opinion though, but to me the lexicon chat being removed cut the cord of communication, it leaves us with simple phrases that take a while to put together into a sentence, it would be harder to do what you want to do, and thus making less people want to play the game, single player is great and all but the multiplayer was a big part of giving the game its popularity, removing the chat cut everyone off, what has happened is simply the people who can't buy the game are left with 2.5, where multiplayer is big, along with RP. Where that RP thing is gone, and it's simple phrases, if I saw that a year or two ago I would have taken the older version that breaks my computer and dealt with the drama. I understand that this is just saying, "Yes, you can play this, but if you want to be able to do your multiplayer thing you need to get the latest version of the game." which I can respect, but it was kinda disappointing that lexicon would be removed. I came back to play just to RP again and now I can't really do that. 
It seems very unfair to people who don't do bad things or abuse the lexicon chat option, a majority of the people who use it are good people and do simply Role Play, and the ones that do abuse it, I believe can simply be banned or something, It's just my idea and probably not a good one, but a banning system I believe is here, I just don't think about it, I'm glad you actually gave reasoning though, a lot of people don't when shutting something down.
(The next part can be ignored, it's just me kinda feeling sad)
Many games I've played or parts of the games I've played are gone, for instance Free Realms, Word of Warcraft was ripped from my hands the moment I started to enjoy it, Wizard101 and Pirate101 are the only things remaining along with Wolf Quest, WolfQuest was a game I played at a young age (about 8 1/2 or 9) and I was before 2.5, of course I didn't have an account then because at the time I didn't want to join the community and would rather stick to another and just enjoy the game as the game, I did, but now I'm seeing it just kinda slowly go away and out of my reach, paying for something is the hardest part of this. It gets hard for me as there's so many games I wanna play but have no money to pay for them. I was happy that WolfQuest was free, but then it was improved so much, which I loved, I knew it would be costing money now, but I was happy that then there was even the fact that you could still get the older version for free. Which I thank you for giving us the ability to do that. Now as the lexicon chat was removed I kinda lost my purpose to play it anymore, I beat the game before, the only challenge left would be just to simply beat the game perfectly, but that's it. Then I'd be back to just Wizard101 and Pirate101, which are good games and I reccomend you play them, but I hate being unable to go back into a multiplayer world with the freedom of speech and not have to pay for it, Wizard101 and Pirate101 have this problem, and now the only remaining game has joined in, I don't like having to pay to be able to speak, and do what I did before, but if I need to, I'm ok with it. Or I'll just be silent the whole time and eventually quit.
The thing was people were roleplaying inappropriately, despite being told it wasn't allowed in the in-game rules. Its been happening for 7+ years, with some people being repeat offenders. Some of the things they would roleplay would be illegal as well, which caused some legal scares for the WQ team.

The lexicon was like constantly fighting a losing battle. They would remove words from the lexicon, only a couple of days later people would come up with other words to get around it ('meat', 'led', and 'alas' being recent examples)

Personally, I'm glad the lexicon is gone. Good riddance.

2.7 has an in-game messaging, pack, and friend system you can use to message other people about making private games. Private games are a lot more reliable now than in the past. I've seen people in public games just make a game with the title 'MovingtoPrivateGame', then the host would add everyone as a friend and then message them the private game info. Organizing a private game in 2.7 is not difficult at all.

Unfortunately, money makes the world go round. It cost the team too much money to keep the lexicon chat (+ the forums and etc) up and running every year, and if it wasn't for 2.7, they would have shut down the forums, WQ multiplayer, everything. But because 2.7 is here, there is a huge opportunity to fully revive WolfQuest. Like an episode 3, for example.

amycag
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by amycag » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:42 am

i am pretty sad by this :( I cant buy the game and roll play was the reason is still played wq! I came across people using it the wrong way but its nothing a little banning can do! I hope this changes in the future......

ArrowWolf14
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ArrowWolf14 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:51 am

xocidious wrote:This decision I think will make WolfQuest less popular as a game now. I LOVED role playing on this game with (almost) freedom of speech, and able to have a wonderful time roleplaying with other people online. Now, with the phrase chat, I am not even aloud to tell other wolves my name, gender, or anything about myself :'(( this makes it really hard to make friends! We can't even share jokes, descriptions, ideas and our own thoughts. With Lexicon chat disabled, I really don't see a point to this game anymore. I completed the private game, and now ( in my opinion ) the public games are pretty much worthless. I know a lot of people who agree, and we are all deleting the game off of our computers and finding a new site with freedom of speech.
I understand the WQ Board's reasons for changing the chat, but in my opinion, the pros DO NOT out weigh the cons! There will be a dramatic drop in online activity, making income decrease even more.
I really hope the WQ Board reconsiders their decision! :((
I agree completely, because of the fact that WQ has disabled lexicon chat. No one will want to play! We would have to find a way to conversate with eachother on the website, while playing the game. That's too much work. In my opinion, I'm going to try and find another game like how wolfquest used to be... :cry:

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:56 am

Kipcha28 wrote:
Kamaal wrote:I'm not saying that WQ 2.7 isn't far better than 2.5, but sadly some people (including myself) are not able to buy it till late next year. I'm not able to do so, due to some problems occurring in my country. Since they blocked all the cards, I'm afraid I can't purchase it... So hopefully I'll return in late 2016...
Dave has already announced that there'll be contests held to win free keys - I believe he even said the first one will be next week.
I know this might sound silly, but how do you participate in one of those contests?

EDIT: I agree with Dave's and the team's decision, I respect it, it had to be done. People were breaking the rules the whole time. I believe that private games will be better, but from this point of view I can't judge correctly, since I myself have only played the demo. I hope to get the full game soon, I'll stay and be patient, that's all I can do for now. For the people who disagree, remember, the team was forced to this decision. Most of the time the servers were mate related and another variety of them were inappropriate. So for the protection of the younger audience this had to be done, I'm sad as well, I know how it feels, I really love this game and to be honest, this was the thing that got me into volunteering at a wolf center.