"Edible spoons promise to be tasty while saving the planet"

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Kivia

"Edible spoons promise to be tasty while saving the planet"

Post by Kivia » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:44 am

Tired of seeing mountains of plastic cutlery polluting India's landfills, Narayana Peesapaty had an idea: What if you could eat your disposable spoon rather than toss it?

Peesapaty, a researcher and agriculture consultant from Hyderabad, India, developed an edible spoon made of millet, rice and wheat flours, in 2010. Now, after selling 1.5 million spoons for his company Bakeys, he wants to reach even more eaters. Peesapaty knows that means he has to cut the cost of his products to compete with cheaper plastic counterparts.
Read on here:
http://mashable.com/2016/03/26/edible-s ... lEbzm.wkqu

I feel like this is a fantastic step at curbing the use of plastic cutlery. I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of seeing wildlife choking on plastic and getting tied up in it. Plus, it's a spoon you can eat!

So what do you guys think? Would you consider using them? Have you heard of any other types of inventions similar to this?

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Re: "Edible spoons promise to be tasty while saving the plan

Post by Kamaal » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:39 am

This is just brilliant, but the thing that bugs me is the product's price. It's quite expensive for those people. They don't get payed the same as people in America or other counties do, so I believe that their price should be reduced in order for them to be able to buy them with greater ease. After all why would people who have metallic spoons buy edible ones? It's a good idea, but it still needs work in my opinion.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

Post by twinlinskis » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:28 pm

i saw the video for this last night when i should have been sleeping! it's such a good idea, and i would definitely invest in these spoons since they have a pretty long shelf life and if i somehow leave it behind, i won't have to worry about any negative effects since it's biodegradable! i'll likely be donating to their kickstarter so i can get my hands on a few of them.
Kamaal wrote:This is just brilliant, but the thing that bugs me is the product's price. It's quite expensive for those people. They don't get payed the same as people in America or other counties do, so I believe that their price should be reduced in order for them to be able to buy them with greater ease. After all why would people who have metallic spoons buy edible ones? It's a good idea, but it still needs work in my opinion.

??? it's actually supposed to be near/at the price of plastic cutlery, which is what Peesapaty is aiming to do with Bakeys. when it launches, it's estimated to be a bit more expensive than plastic, but with mass production and so many people already interested in the product, it will likely lower and be less expensive and therefore very affordable!
............ ............
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
............ ............
sig © twinlinskis

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Sign me up for the sugar spoon, please!

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:14 am

As twinlinskis pointed out, they are hoping to reduce the cost to make it more affordable. If the demand for these spoons builds up, then producing mass quantities should help reduce the cost of making them, and ultimately the price.
Koa wrote:Sign me up for the sugar spoon, please!
I'm just imagining those Lik-a-Stix that come with Fun Dip, haha.

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:46 am

Kivia wrote:As twinlinskis pointed out, they are hoping to reduce the cost to make it more affordable. If the demand for these spoons builds up, then producing mass quantities should help reduce the cost of making them, and ultimately the price.
Koa wrote:Sign me up for the sugar spoon, please!
I'm just imagining those Lik-a-Stix that come with Fun Dip, haha.
That's true, the cost will be reduced either way at some point. So I believe that it'll be easier for people with less budget to buy them. I'd buy them to be honest, I'd like to try that out.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Swans Feathger
Pup
Pup

Post by Swans Feathger » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:12 pm

That is really cool! And only 10 dollars for 100 spoons! I could get 200 spoons!
my favourite games on the computer are: WolfQuest, AnimalJam, Star Stable, howrse and all the dreamzer games.

My favourite books are: Warriors, The Wolf Chronicles, survivers and Spirit Animals.

I will be getting a horse in about 3 years and a half years. So excited!

Uzumaaki
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Uzumaaki » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:40 pm

my high school had something similar to this. the spoons weren't edible, but they were made out of corn starch (if i'm remembering correctly) and were completely biodegradable. it was pretty neat!
av by theinfinite

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Post by Writers Block » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:40 am

I heard a little about this when it was first announced. Very cool and environmentally friendly idea. I hope it catches on and becomes more mainstream.
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv