"Shut down the world's cruelest greyhound racing track"

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

"Shut down the world's cruelest greyhound racing track"

Post by twinlinskis » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:49 pm

** please be aware that the content matter in this thread may be distressing, but i feel as if it is a problem that must be addressed and that we should be aware of. the articles are succinct in their information and draw a broad picture of the abuse that racing greyhounds suffer for the sake of the readers, but the videos may contain images/material that may make you uncomfortable or disturbed. **
i'd first like to start off by saying that i'm not really sure where this goes, but since it deals with dogs, i decided to post it here. should there be another topic similar to this, feel free to lock this discussion and direct me to the aforementioned topic. :') sorry for the potential inconvenience this might cause!

anyway, i saw this today on my feed on facebook can't believe i still have an account, but not the point and i was legitimately so infuriated that i had to physically remove myself from the computer to get some lemonade. now that i'm back, i've decided to post this here so that others are made aware of this "trade" that's going on, and how macau's racetrack is literally a death sentence to all greyhounds that arrive there.

Greyhounds are running for their lives in Macau. But we can help them TODAY.

Ruthless Australian greyhound owners have been quietly sending Aussie dogs to race at Macau's Canidrome for years. These gentle dogs suffer immensely: confined to tiny, barren cages, often injured on the rock-hard track, and killed at an alarming rate — all dogs sent there will be dead within 3 years.

Animals Australia's world-first investigation has for the first time shed light on life inside the Canidrome for the 700 Australian dogs confined there. We're part of a Coalition of animal protection groups from around the globe urging authorities to close its doors.

And with the future of the Canidrome currently under review, we have a good chance of success. Add your voice today to calls to close the Canidrome and allow the greyhounds currently kept there to be adopted into safe and loving homes.
all of the above quoted information can be found at this link. you can also sign a petition on that page to help get these animals out of this abusive and deadly environment so that they may be rehomed.

i've looked up some other sources, though these are some pretty dated articles (one is from 2011, though most i'm trying to post here are about a year or so old). here are a few of the sources that i have found that are explain this "sport."

The peninsula of Macau is home to a single dog track called the the Yat Yuen Canidrome. At the Canidrome, nearly 400 greyhounds are put to death every year.

According to the Macau Daily Times, dogs race four times a week. If they finish outside the top three in five sequential races, they are destroyed. The head of Macau's animal control department has stated that every greyhound arriving at the track is dead within three years. An average of thirty new dogs arrives each month from Australia.

In 2007, a draft animal cruelty law was presented to the public for comment and consideration, but the Macau legislature never took it up. In fact, there are no laws in place to prevent the wanton killing of these gentle dogs.
found here.
Hundreds of Australian greyhounds deemed too slow for Australian racing by their trainers and owners have been exported to Asia, in breach of racing rules, where they are languishing in shocking conditions.
the rest of the article can be found here.
Australia's leading greyhound racing body has banned the export of dogs to Macau in a move that could threaten the future of the controversial Canidrome track.

Greyhounds Australasia has stopped issuing so-called "greyhound passports" to dogs being sent to Macau because it "does not support the export of greyhounds to any country that does not meet contemporary animal welfare standards" .

[...]

The ban on greyhound imports by Greyhounds Australia is not legally binding and members can flout the regulation and continue exports if they choose. The Canidrome may also be able to source greyhounds from unlicensed breeders.
the entire article can be read here.
............ ............
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
sig © twinlinskis

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Re: "Shut down the world's cruelest greyhound racing track"

Post by Kamaal » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:08 pm

Oh lord, I'm literally about to cry right now... I cannot believe that some individuals of the human race could do such thing... That's simply horrible...
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:09 pm

Going to move this to Take Action since it involves a petition and there are other domestic-related topics there e.g. "Save a stray", "Shelter Pets & Adoption, etc.

- moved to Take Action -

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

Post by twinlinskis » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:16 pm

Kamaal wrote:Oh lord, I'm literally about to cry right now... I cannot believe that some individuals of the human race could do such thing... That's simply horrible...
yeah, it's terrible, and i hope that macau's racetrack gets shut down as soon as possible. hopefully with animals australia and other groups-- and the people of the country who find this to be cruel, as well!-- raising awareness of this, it will get enough attention that china will have to do something about it. granted, they have poor animal protection laws there, and the ones that have been drafted are rarely put into effect, but we need to hope for the best!
Koa wrote:Going to move this to Take Action since it involves a petition and there are other domestic-related topics there e.g. "Save a stray", "Shelter Pets & Adoption, etc.

- moved to Take Action -

thanks Koa. i wasn't sure where to place it since the description of this forum only specifies wildlife and the environment, but i appreciate you moving it to the correct forum :')
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
sig © twinlinskis

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:34 pm

Just despicable. I think racing (horse and dog) is fun to watch, but I hate the money and maltreatment that can sometimes be involved. Rescued racers (I've met a few) are the sweetest dogs and there is no reason to be destroying them or even kicking them out of the racing industry; someone always has to loose, and the killing of these dogs is so ignorant in the part of the track management. I signed the petition, and hopefully something will get done about it in the future. Thank you for posting this.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:52 pm

I've nothing wrong with animal racing, even betting on them.
But this? This is horrible.
Animals Australia has earned my signature on their petition.

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA CLOSE THE DOOR
TO OPEN A WINDOW

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:31 pm

I only condone racing if the animals are treated with care, and trained without cruelty. But this...

This is an outrage. Someone needs to shut them down for good, and find someone to rescue those poor pups.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

Swans Feathger
Pup
Pup

Post by Swans Feathger » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:24 pm

That is so sad! :cry: :(

:wolf: (that is the closest to a dog that I could get)
my favourite games on the computer are: WolfQuest, AnimalJam, Star Stable, howrse and all the dreamzer games.

My favourite books are: Warriors, The Wolf Chronicles, survivers and Spirit Animals.

I will be getting a horse in about 3 years and a half years. So excited!

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:44 pm

I’m coming to a disgust in today’s modern animal-related sports/hobbies. Why can’t we just let animals be.. animals!? Why must be need to have to “dominate” (maybe not the right word) a species for our own selfish greed? Let them in peace. Gosh, this infuriated me.

Rant over :/

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:12 am

As this thread contains a petition and whatnot from 2016, I was curious to see if anything had developed on this topic. I'm happy to report the racing track mentioned in the original post — the Yat Yuen Canidrome — has indeed been shut down on 21 July 2018.

This particular topic can therefore be locked, but apparently, greyhound racing unfortunately remains a problem.

For those interested in a starting point for further research, there's a Wikipedia page on the Yat Yuen Canidrome here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canidrome_(Macau)