Save a stray today!

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Cheyannfelts
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Save a stray today!

Post by Cheyannfelts » Sat May 31, 2014 10:32 pm

Hello everyone, My name is Cheyann. I saved a stray. I saved a cat, meowing in our shed for food, 3 years ago. Let me tell you, She trusts me more than anyone. Shes scared of everyone else but not me... We've bonded, her fur is so soft, and she is healthy. Save a stray, save a life today? Get a cat to trust you by putting tuna near where you are and letting them come and eat it, after that, the cat will show up everyday for more. Be careful when holding a stray cat, when i first held my kitty, she clawed me.. Thanks for reading. Have a great day! ~Chey
CHEY~

firedog6
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: At My Desk, on the Compuster, Sitting on A Chair, Obviously

Re: Save a stray today!

Post by firedog6 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:55 pm

I agree! I have not saved any strays, but I have gotten all my dogs from non-profit, no-kill rescue facilities that save dogs, heal them mentally & physically, and than put them up for adoption. So how about getting stray pets or pets from the pound instead of buying them from breeders? Sure, some breeders are reputable. But what does that matter when you've just saved a life from dying? Also, mixed breed dogs tend to be healthier than purebreds, because all the genetic issues are mixed up! It might be the same for cats. There are also plenty of kittens and puppies at the pound & on the streets, and even some purebreds! Like Chey said, SAVE A STRAY TODAY!! :D
SHREWITITY

little pup 2
Pup
Pup

Post by little pup 2 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:25 am

This is great! I totally agree on saving strays. Like fire though, I adopted mine from a no-kill, non for profit rescue. So if you want a pet, look at a shelter before anything else. From the looks of my dog, he was abused. When we rose a hand, he flinched. When we yelled, he ran away. He even appeared semi-trained. So if you want a pet, the shelter is the way to go. A motto I use is...

Saving one dog will not change the world, but hopefully that dog's world will change forever.

Edit: Hip-Hip Hooray! My dog (Nelson) is now no longer scared, and as we tease him, a cat. But now... darkness has fallen again... and there is... Hannah!n :twisted:

Hannah Banana, is so sweet, yet hates being picked up, and will nibble you, and scratch you if you try to. She is around 6-7 months old, and my grandparents adopted her. She is a lot of work. She is quite bluntly, a brat. She DOES NOT enjoy beng told what to do. She's a wild one! We are working on training her though... She also...

: Runs from flyswatters
: Runs when you raise a hand
: Bites the vacuum, because its EVIL! :evil:
: Runs when you yell
: Picks out the soft food chunks in her food

Otherwise, she is energetic, and just a good dog :D
Another motto to say is...

There is no such thing as a bad dog, only bad people
Last edited by little pup 2 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Shallow Creek Pack Story
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=74777

95% of teens would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers at the top of a skyscraper about to jump. Copy and paste this if you are part of the 5% that would sit there with popcorn and a camera and yell "DO A FLIP!!!

firedog6
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by firedog6 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:22 pm

Yes. Unfortunately, all of my dogs are like that too. One is deathly afraid of being picked up, and his back legs are slightly crooked, so he was probably dropped on a bed or something. :( One is a breeder dog, and he is now happy - although his son probably didn't have much human interaction for the first months of his life, otherwise he would be outgoing like his father. You need to earn his trust. I also have a family of dogs - a son, a daughter and their mother. The mother is normal, but the children are also very skittish! Good luck with your dog! Back on topic

You are right: Saving one pet won't change the world, but it will change the pet's world - certainly.
SHREWITITY

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:04 pm

I work at an animal shelter, and I see strays put down often. Its really sad because most of them are perfectly good animals, they just look weird or aren't puppies or kittens. It breaks my heart because I want to take home all of them, but I can't. So I agree, go for a shelter dog or cat rather than one from a breeder.

On a side note, get your pets fixed to prevent so many strays and unwanted animals! People will sometimes bring in newborn kittens or puppies because they can't care for them. Even if you see a cat or dog on the side of the road, try to get it fixed. It will make fewer unwanted animals, reducing the number of animals in the shelter, which brings down the need to put animals down for space.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

firedog6
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by firedog6 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:47 pm

Yes. I mean, there are a few breeders who scan their pets for health issues and stuffs, and have generally good puppies and kittens, but why would you want to adopt a puppy when it already has a good home when you can go to the pound and get one that actually needs you? And absolutely no offense to anyone who might have gotten a breeder dog, but I've seen over time that rescued dogs have way more personality than breeder dogs. I think it's because rescue dogs actually appreciate you, where as breeder dogs have never been in a bad situation.

And also yes, you should always try to get an animal fixed on the streets - even if you can't adopt it, then bring it to a non-kill rescue place.
SHREWITITY

alethe

Post by alethe » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:47 am

Breeder animals are all going to find homes. Its because people want them. But strays.. its really disheartening to see them put down. We have so many stray cats now, and most are with kittens or are pregnant with kittens. I'm worried about some of the older cats being put down because of the sheer amount of kittens we have. I believe there's ten up for adoption last time I checked, and another five are too young to put up for adoption, and a mother who's pregnant. Pretty soon, they're going to start putting down the older cats..

Edit- I forgot to add that if you're trying to catch a stray and it gives you trouble (mostly cats, I've noticed), try your best to get it (and make sure you're not bitten) and once its fixed, release it again. Shelters will put down aggressive animals. The animal has lived without human contact for most of its life, and it will do just fine on its own. It just now can't reproduce.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:56 pm

I have rescued a stray one time. It was about 4 years ago. I was walking down the street when I saw a 6 month old black and white Domestic Shorthair kitten lying next to the sidewalk. He didn't have a collar, and it didn't appear to have an owner. I took the kitten to my local animal clinic to see if he had any proof that he had an owner, but all the tests were negative- the poor guy didn't have an owner. I knew his mother and father had abandoned him. I decided to take him home and call him my pet. I had named him Sylvester, and now he is happy.

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA CLOSE THE DOOR
TO OPEN A WINDOW

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree

Post by calxmity » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:40 pm

My kitty was a stray, however she died about a year ago. I loved her so much, and nothing else gives you the warm fuzzy feeling than rescuing a stray. It's sad to see strays wandering on the street. My only suggestion is make sure you are careful with them, wash your hands after touching strays. Also, always take them to the vet if your parents allow you to... they can be FULL of disease. Another stray we took to the vet had diseases such as lyme disease, gum disease, and sadly, heart disease. Note this is all in one stray... it was extremely sad, and they said if we hadn't brought the cat to the vet when we did, the cat would have suffered an extremely painful death within the next 2 or so days. The cat had a painless death, as the vet put her down that day. So just be careful... (:
green - cavetown

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Post by PeltOfAsh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:01 pm

When I get my own place I am going to rescue a dog, possibly two. I've been looking into several rescue organizations around Arizona, California, and surrounding areas for border collies and some other breeds. I have also been considering volunteering at the local shelter to get my daily dog fix. Thing is, I'm on a tad of a budget right now and gas has to be rationed. The shelter is not on my path between school and my dorm.

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:15 am

All of my cats found me.

Snowball came to our catnip field and we adopted him. He was so tame, he just followed us in.
Jewel came to our door in winter
Pouncer was one of the kittens of a neighboring stray cat. She was the only tame one.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Sun May 10, 2015 4:49 am

I adopted a German Shepherd from GSD 2000 a charity working all over the UK, she is a black shepherd who was being attacked by another female and being abused by her old owners.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

alethe

Post by alethe » Sun May 10, 2015 7:18 am

Our family has been fostering dogs for about a month now. Its worked out great so far!

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:10 pm

I found a stray cat with a broken leg, rushed it into the vets. Unfortunately it had to be put down as it was to serious but it would of gone to a rehoming centre as we have 3 dogs 2 don't like cats and our rescue German Shepherd would just lick it all day. Such a kind heart dog she is.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Latra

Post by Latra » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:12 pm

We don't have any strays around... our dog would probably be too intense with his investigations to let them get close. But when we lived in South Carolina we fed a stray, we called him Boots. He couldn't come inside but he was a sweetie. I remember one time, I might have been somewhere between 5-8 years old, and I found a dead salamander on the porch and a proud Boots. He would always come and leave us little gifts on our doorstep.
╔════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╗
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
ꕥ ❁ ꕥ —Mary Oliver ꕥ ❁ ꕥ
╚════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╝

Quote / Av Shop