The importance of Hunting

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: The importance of Hunting

Post by alethe » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:48 pm

Tonbei wrote:
  • HunterStrait makes a good point, that the food we eat often comes from unethical practices, especially our meat and dairy products. That's something that often goes overlooked, or unacted upon, or quietly ignored as we make another trip to our local supermarket chain to grab our usual products. One could even argue that the proportion of unethical food production practices largely outweighs the scale of unethical hunting instances, since all people eat, many from chain/commercial grocers, and not everyone practices hunting.
A lot of the food in the grocery stores isn't hunted though. I don't consider taking a cow or chicken and giving it an electric shock to be hunting in all honesty, just like I don't consider those "hunting parks" (where they fence in some sort of big game for someone to shoot and kill for fun) real hunting either. Both are very unethical, but I'm not entirely against the mass food production. As you said, we all have to eat. The hunting parks do need to be stopped, though.
(not really sure if I strayed off topic too much there)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:27 pm

I do think hunting is just fine. Other animals do it, so why can't we?
_-:¡!*"*!¡:-_
_-:¡!*"Warden"*!¡:-_
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

av/sig: alethe

TheImmortalWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TheImmortalWolf » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:08 pm

firedog6 wrote:I don't like hunting. I understand your concept. This is my opinion and that's yours deal with it.
i agree with you firedog6 i dont like hunting either.
Mess with me?
I'll let karma do its job.
Mess with my family?
I become karma.

pickledham
Pup
Pup

Post by pickledham » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:43 am

river6 wrote:
Tonbei wrote:
  • HunterStrait makes a good point, that the food we eat often comes from unethical practices, especially our meat and dairy products. That's something that often goes overlooked, or unacted upon, or quietly ignored as we make another trip to our local supermarket chain to grab our usual products. One could even argue that the proportion of unethical food production practices largely outweighs the scale of unethical hunting instances, since all people eat, many from chain/commercial grocers, and not everyone practices hunting.
A lot of the food in the grocery stores isn't hunted though. I don't consider taking a cow or chicken and giving it an electric shock to be hunting in all honesty, just like I don't consider those "hunting parks" (where they fence in some sort of big game for someone to shoot and kill for fun) real hunting either. Both are very unethical, but I'm not entirely against the mass food production. As you said, we all have to eat. The hunting parks do need to be stopped, though.
(not really sure if I strayed off topic too much there)
I do believe she was referring to the treatment of animals in factory farms, and not that farm animals are being hunted. From what I've researched animals on farms are sometimes treated horribly, and the electric shock you mentioned doesn't always kill the animal. I really don't have a right to talk though, as I eat meat from supermarkets and the like. :/
----------------------
trouble is a friend of mine

trolling existence since 1st millennium BC

winterwolf1203
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by winterwolf1203 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Both sides of the argument have valid points, and I will wait until I have developed a better opinion on the topic before picking a side.
Last edited by winterwolf1203 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
T K
ɪs ʀ ɴ ʟɪɢʜ ɢs ɴ ɪs ʀɪɴʟ ʙʏ sʀ ғʀ ɴʜʀ.
ʜ ɴ ғ s ʜs s ʜɪɴ ɢʀɪ ғ ʜs ʜ ʜ ʟɪɢʜ ʜ ғʟ ɪʜɪɴ s

alethe

Post by alethe » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:37 pm

Population rise = more land needed for food. Besides, its no different from hunters like wolves killing deer. It keeps down the population. It is NEEDED in some places where there aren't enough higher predators to take care of things. Do you really want YOUR species to starve? Or do you want another species to die off because of lack of food due to overpopulation?

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:00 pm

I for one agree ^.^

Humans aren't aliens who kill everything.

Please don't eat me if you oppose me.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Fri May 01, 2015 3:18 pm

duskypack wrote:I for one agree ^.^

Humans aren't aliens who kill everything.

Please don't eat me if you oppose me.

Humans are not aliens that kill everything, although we are destructive. To me humans are so smart we're stupid, we don't think about our actions affecting others.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

Noella
Name: Noella

Post by Noella » Wed May 06, 2015 1:00 pm

I think anything said on the particular topic such as this one, is opinionated aside from facts.

Fact: Hunting does have its own positives and negatives. Predators are on earth to maintain prey populations so they don't get out of control.

Opinion: Hunting is bad or good.

To press the fact, hunting is on a season based "schedule" so that population can increase from last years hunt. Certain animals are set on Reserves so they aren't hunted because they are endanged species. Wolves were put on the endangered species list for the sole reason that humans were hunting them way too much. Now that they're not endangered though, it's a safe cause to hunt them in reasons of protecting live stock for farms or too many being in one area.

I guess in my eyes, it's a fifty-fifty, but the topic is far more opinonated that facing facts, I think.

If this was said before, I must have missed it XD Sorry!

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Sun May 10, 2015 4:45 am

No, hunting is not important. If there are to many prey animals its because of the fact predatory animals have been killed to much. So to fix it let nature take its path, then everything will be fine and no one harmed, the animals are more scared of you than you are of them.
Everyone will have a different opinion this is mine
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

alethe

Post by alethe » Sun May 10, 2015 7:12 am

Hunting is needed in some parts to keep prey under control. There is no denying that. You can wish that there are predators there all you want, but that won't fix anything. The damage to the area is done. If you want the prey animals to die out too, then oppose hunting. Otherwise, people help the natural cycle in places we messed up generations ago.

Humans are part of the natural cycle as well. Everything is. Just "letting nature take its course" will do more harm to existing species than you seem to think.

Some articles on deer to educate yourself on why we need hunting.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles ... rchers.htm

http://www.wirelessdeerfence.com/lp/dee ... opulation/

The fact of the matter- we did this by killing the predators. Just stepping back and doing nothing won't fix the ecosystem. Unless you want the species in that area to die off.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

KrazyWolff
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by KrazyWolff » Tue May 12, 2015 8:57 pm

Ah yes, the common pro-hunters vs. anti-hunters arguments.

I, for one, am pro-hunting. However, I am anti-poaching all the way!

I can see if you accidentally kill a red wolf during coyote season because, well, let's face it, red wolves look almost EXACTLY like coyotes.

Or if you're starving in Ethiopia and only see an endangered, yet seemingly healthy, Ethiopian wolf, so you poach it in order to survive, that's ok.

However, if you purposefully poach a Bengal tiger because you want a rug made out of REAL Bengal tiger fur, then that's wrong!

Anyways, as for responsible hunting, I have no problem with that whatsoever. I used to be an anti-hunter myself but then I realized the importance of hunting and now I have a beautiful blue dyed silver fox pelt from Glacier Wear in my bedroom.

And I realize that some people on here are only against, or at least highly against the hunting of wolves.

Here's an article that I found on the importance of hunting wolves that states exactly how I view wolves: http://www.petersenshunting.com/uncateg ... nt-wolves/
~KrazyWolff

--------------------

>>>Observe the pure K R A Z I N E S S of the W O L F F<<<

rainstorms
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by rainstorms » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:14 pm

I read a hunting magazine while my dad was getting his hair cut, and I have to say, it frustrated me.

"Oh, the wolf head? Yes, I flew halfway around the world to a place with -20 degree temperatures to senselessly murder it! Because wolves are pests and vermin, and now that they're off the endangered list, we can kill as many as we want!"

Hunting overpopulated areas? Fine. But if you kill it, you have to eat it.
━━━━━━━━━━

alethe

Post by alethe » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Some wolves are over populated.
I don't know the context of the article nor the location I can find it but in my opinion, if it isn't illegal than it isn't hurting anyone. If someone wants to go hunt a wolf, fine. They don't have to eat it either. Trophy hunting isn't bad, nor do I see anything like what you're saying here. Most hunters are responsible people and don't "kill as many as they want." Because if they do break the laws they get the license taken away.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:12 pm

I agree with Skybreaker. I am friends with a few hunters, and they are some of the most environmentally conscious people I know. They will not take the shot unless they know it is a clean one. They probably care more for the animals than some random person on the street.

Not all hunters are nut-jobs. The ones that are appear in the news, because it is rare. Its kind of like plane crashes...they appear in the news because they are rare. But car accidents happen every day, and you rarely hear about them.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011