Wildlife Friendly Yards

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Wildlife Friendly Yards

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:40 am

One way to take action is to have a wildlife friendly yard. What does it mean to have a wildlife friendly yard?

The National Wildlife Federation has a program to certify your yard as a wildlife habitat. They list the requirements as having food sources, water, shelter, and sustainable gardening.

Food: Planting native forbs, shrubs, and trees is the easiest way to provide the foliage, nectar, pollen, berries, seeds, and nuts that many species of wildlife require to survive and thrive.

Water: Wildlife need sources of clean water for many purposes, including drinking, bathing, and reproduction. Water sources may include natural features such as ponds, lakes, rivers, springs, oceans, and wetlands; or human-made features such as bird baths, puddling areas for butterflies, installed ponds, or rain gardens.

Shelter: Wildlife require places to hide in order to feel safe from people, predators, and inclement weather. They also need a sheltered place to raise their offspring.

Sustainable Gardening: How you maintain your garden or landscape can have an important effect on the health of the soil, air, water and habitat for native wildlife - as well as the human community nearby. You can make your yard more sustainable by using mulch, reducing lawn (grass) areas, using rain barrels, planting native species, and reducing chemical usage on your yard.

This is just one organization's take on making a wildlife friendly yard.

What are you doing to make your yard wildlife friendly?

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Wildlife Friendly Yards

Post by Songdog » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:40 pm

Ooh, I've heard a lot about this (we did an entire section on it in class) I live in Florida, and a lot of people who move here think that anything will grow in Florida. Very wrong. Plants must be suited to long periods of drought as well as long periods of floods. Also, our planting seasons starts earlier than the north. One of the biggest problems we have is when people plant the really springy grass here. However, that grass requires a lot of water, is very invasive, and kills native plants. It is not suitable for Florida, and is not native.

If you live in Florida, here is a helpful website all about Florida Friendly landscaping, including some interactive stuff as well:
http://www.floridayards.org/

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:46 pm

That looks like a great web site Songdog. Grass can be hard on the environment if it isn't suited for it.

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Post by Rikkuzilla » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Fortunately, I live in a heavily wooded area, so there is plenty of wildlife around our home. A few months ago, we had a pond built on our property, and now we have mallards hanging out around the pond, as well as a huge crane! And I recently built a large bat box near the pond, so the bats can eat any of the mosquitoes that may be attracted to the pond. (^-^)

Here's a link to a PDF file from the college I went to (UT), regarding ways you can help attract wildlife to your own backyard. Now, granted, it's mostly directed for people that live in TN, but people can get the "general idea" about setting up your own backyard ecosystem. (^-^)

http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publicat ... /SP530.pdf

I had a lot of luck with wildlife around our property when I lived in Florida, because we had a huge natural lake in our backyard. Sadly, due to growth and construction, many species seemed to disappear from the lake. I really enjoyed seeing the alligators and the snake birds, etc. (>.<)
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

SunlightsRock
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Cat

Post by SunlightsRock » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:32 pm

i think there used to be an animal planet show called 'backyard habitats' or something i used to watch it all the time but i think it was canncelled :cry:

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:08 pm

unfortunately, where I live, such a yard really isnt too possible... but it is suited to the animals that live here xD
icon by Rottenrobbie

WQ (BaltoSource)

Post by WQ (BaltoSource) » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:56 pm

I put out a bird feeder on the porch and two birds built a nest on the neighbors house and now theres a family of 5+ birds that come every day. :lol: Now Im motivated to put a hummingbird feeder, and bird house. (I already have water out there) ^^ dunno if the neighbors would like it though... they dont really mind, so far.
wheres the best place to put a bird house? (on my porch cause its a close together neighborhood)

Kaiji
Pup
Pup

Post by Kaiji » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:44 pm

Because I love wildlife, and especially studying birds, I make sure to put up humingbird feeders, birdfeeders, bird baths, and plenty of birdhouses. I mean, nearly every tree on my property has a birdhouse in it. I want to get into ornithology when I'm older. I spend a lot of time outside, journeling about birds I see. ^^

Fawn

Post by Fawn » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:35 pm

We have a bunch of birds they nest in all of our trees and bushes, and hang out in our jacuzzi and fountains :D and we got a raccoon, who tries to eat the chickens, and we have this big thicket thing in corner that stuff lives in. Its pretty wildlife friendly, but mainly birds and rabbits live in the yard. Although we have a stupid gopher too......

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Yes I like landscaping for wildlife and it drives me not when someone cuts down shrubs and tree for more "pretty" plants
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:56 pm

awww my bird feeder cracked from ice damage! dang it. :? but there are some bats around neighbourhood, which I enjoy watching. anything that eats bugs is welcomed to live near me :)
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

timber wolf4321
Pup
Pup

Post by timber wolf4321 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:39 am

I dont have a back yard. :cry: I live in a townhouse.At least animals walk about on that path.Can somebody help me out?I need an idea.(Back in my old house in Virginia,we had a BUNCH of wildlife in our back yard.we had a huge backyard! :D
/\............./\
....0.......0...|
..................|
.....UUU.......|
-------------

Happy kitty cat!

Avvie made by awesome photographer that posted it on airliners net.

WildFire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by WildFire » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:54 am

I planted a tree in my yard when we first moved in about 3 years ago so birds can build their homes in it and now it is quite tall and a home to 2 families of birds :mrgreen:

Lucrisha01
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Lucrisha01 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:27 pm

I have some trees in the back of my old barn house and it is home to alot of birds....we also have quite a few bunnies running around at times

WildFire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by WildFire » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:58 pm

yeah, there is a house down the street that almost always has bunnies in it since it is next to the wash.