Earth Hour - General Discussion

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Earth Hour - General Discussion

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:40 am

Each year, Earth Hour comes around, and gives the world an opportunity to make a difference in the amount of energy they are using, and make a small change. The more people that get involved, the bigger of difference we make.

For those who don't know what Earth Hour is:
Earth Hour is a worldwide event organized by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and held on the last Saturday of March annually, encouraging households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights for one hour to raise awareness about the need to take action on climate change. The event, conceived by WWF and The Sydney Morning Herald, first took place in 2007, when 2.2 million residents of Sydney participated by turning off all non-essential lights. Following Sydney's lead, many other cities around the world adopted the event in 2008. Earth Hour 2012 took place on 31 March 2012 from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., at participants' local time.
Source : http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Hour#section_1

So, are you one to get involved and take part in this global event? To what extent do you feel this simple task makes on our environment?
Every action we do affects nature and wildlife, so I hope to hear about many of your Earth Hour experiences. :)
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Kivia

Re: Earth Hour - General Discussion

Post by Kivia » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:01 am

I took part this past weekend- I unplugged everything in my house and just chilled out for an hour. I went out and played with my dogs in the backyard, sat outside for a bit, and then drew by candlelight. Honestly, it was a ton of fun. =D I also "blacked-out" my Tumblr for that night and had a badge that would lead to WWF's Earth Hour site.
Of course there are controversies that surround this, but overall I think this is positive, environmental event to teach people to be conscientious of the usage of electricity and how it impacts the world today.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 am

I agree Kivia. I think it helps to teach our communities that saving energy actually isn't that hard, and for an hour we can survive without it. It's also being conscious of how much we really use it.

We also took part in this. We turn our power 100% off every year and generally we stretch out our hour to longer. It is actually quite fun, doing everything by candlelight and listening to the silence in your house. I was actually quite surprised that I could hear all the appliances shut down once we flicked the breaker.

I went outside a bit (in the dark) and also drew and read in the candle light.
I'm looking forward to next year. ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Here we always turn off all the light for an hour when we think it's necessary. We usually do this once a month, or when they announce it on TV. Actually not many people do turn off their lights even though they announce it everywhere... at least many of my friends do it. At the end everything helps, 5 minutes without power, 10 minutes...

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 pm

I participate n earth hour, but I also do this kind o stuff everyday, such as turning off lights unless completely necessary, or turning off tv when not in use. Everyone should try these to, it is a good way to help save our planet. (:
_-:¡!*"*!¡:-_
_-:¡!*"Warden"*!¡:-_
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

av/sig: alethe

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:52 pm

Hey all, so Earth Hour is today! It starts at 8:30pm your local time and goes until 9:30pm. It's a really fun experience if you partake- I'm definitely going to be doing it.