The Circus - Fun for Humans, Abuse for Animals

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

The Circus - Fun for Humans, Abuse for Animals

Post by Croix » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 am

• Animal Abuse in Circuses
The circus is supposed to be fun for everyone, right? Wrong! Have you ever thought what the circus is like for the animals who perform in it? Sadly, they are often not treated with respect or kindness.

Spending life locked alone until it's time to rehearse or perform and traveling from town to town is not a healthy life for exotic animals like elephants, bears, apes and big cats who perform in circuses.

In many circuses, animals are trained through the use of intimidation and physical abuse. Former circus employees have reported seeing animals beaten, whipped, poked with sharp objects and even burned to force them to learn their routines. They are taught that if they do not obey the animal trainer, they will be abused physically.

Many circus animals are kept in small cages, away from their natural environments. Don't you think a Bengal tiger would have more fun running through a Himalayan forest than jumping through a hoop? Animals are likely to get sick as a result of these unnatural conditions. Many even die in captivity.

Making an animal do something he wasn't meant to do or doesn't want to do is a form of cruelty, too. Elephants are not meant to do balancing acts, bears aren't meant to dance, and lions are not meant to jump through flaming hoops. It is disrespectful to make animals perform tricks for human audiences.

Would you want to be forced to perform embarrassing stunts every day, then sleep alone in a small cage at night? Circus animals should not have to, either.

Do you know that you can help make a difference in the lives of animals who are forced to perform at circuses? Here's what you can do:
  • Don't go to the circus—unless it's one that doesn't feature any animal performers.
  • Most people who attend the circus aren't aware of the abuse that goes on behind the scenes. Spread the word by writing a letter to the editor of the local paper when the circus is in the area. For ideas on what to include in your letter, visit the Circus section on ASPCA.org.
  • Learn as much as you can about the different kinds of animals who perform in circuses. Find out where and how they live in the wild. You can also find out what conservation groups are doing to help these species in the wild. Support them and tell them how much you care about these animals.
  • Here’s a list of circuses that don’t use animal performers.
    http://www.aspca.org/aspcakids/real-iss ... cuses.aspx

For information on tigers, visit:
- Save the Tiger Fund

For information on lions, visit:
- BigCats.com
- Lion Research Center

For information on bears, visit:
- Ursus International Conservation Institute
- National Geographic's BearCam

For information on elephants, visit:
- Save the Elephants
- African Elephant Conservation Trust
Source: http://www.aspca.org/aspcakids/real-iss ... cuses.aspx

I personally, have never gone to a circus. Nor do I plan on going to one any time soon since I have found out how some of the animals are treated.

JuliusthePython
Pup
Pup

Re: The Circus - Fun for Humans, Abuse for Animals

Post by JuliusthePython » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Oh my gosh! I have never thought about it that way!! That is so sad and thank you for posting that there. I will visit some of those sites and learn more. Once again, thank you!
I'm just a small video game character that you can find running around in your Nintendo DS screen.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:48 am

Ah yes, the circus. A controversial topic that many people could argue the different perspectives. I personally have never been to a circus and most likely never will.
This article is a prime example of how animals are seen as less than humans. If you really think about it, the circus is only a small portion of the many places misusing and mistreating animals.
Many zoos, public marine centres, and pet stores are many other services that, we as people, don't put much thought into the situation in the eyes of an animal. Circuses tend to attract tourists, families, and people of many ages usually because they are captivated by the awe-inspiring acts they perform. And when they animals come out, they are too over whelmed in the show to truly see and understand that what they are seeing is actually an act of cruelty. I must say that not all circuses are like this, even though a majority of them are. I do hope this industry comes to a halt or gets closed down completely for the sake of the animals.
Thanks you for sharing Croix!
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

DragonflySpirit
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by DragonflySpirit » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:33 am

Thank you very much for posting this Croix. I personally have felt as if the Circus had been abuse for quite the while now, that's why I have never expressed the interest to go to one.

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Croix » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:48 am

I'm glad you guys feel the same way as I do. c:

Whispering Breeze
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Whispering Breeze » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:21 am

Just like in the movie Water for Elephants,the one staff members was stabbing the poor elephant in the side, I felt so bad for for the elephant. I wish they would end all circuses, let the animals free and be done with it. People should see what really goes on when training these animals and what they pay to see. Circuses with animal abuse should be banned! I will visit sites to learn a little more. Thanks for posting this!

Aubura
Pup
Pup

Post by Aubura » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:09 pm

I strongly agree with this. It's so tragic that people would abuse an innocent animal all for our entertainment. I'm glad not all circuses are like this, however and train their animals with love and respect. Thanks for posting this, Croix. c:
......A thousand sugar stars
Oh put them in a jar
......And then whistle round the world
Oh whistle round the world
......I’m a little wolf inside a girl, you say
And off I’ll go from June to May
......Oh whistling round the world

Holo<3

brightstar99
Yearling
Yearling

Post by brightstar99 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:50 am

thats so bad! I almost cried when I reading the front post. Animals abused just for us? I feel like I wil never go to another circuse again unless the circuse has no exotic animals or animals that look sad or beaten up. I think that the person who owns the animals-abused circuses should be under arrest for treating animals like dirt and beating them to death.

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:16 am

How terrible! It makes my heart ache. This is a tragic thing for any animal to experience. I don't enjoy circuses, nor will I ever like them. Thanks for sharing this, Croix.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:30 am

As a reminder, please refrain from making this topic turn into a "human are bad, save the animals" rant/thread. Thanks! ^^
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

brightstar99
Yearling
Yearling

Post by brightstar99 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 am

Alpha Female wrote:As a reminder, please refrain from making this topic turn into a "human are bad, save the animals" rant/thread. Thanks! ^^
Thank you for reminding us that alpha female! I still feel sorry for the animals in the circus.

gabrilagg

Post by gabrilagg » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 am

Thanks for sharing this, Croix! Actually, all things that prevent animals from living in their habitats (Circus with exotic animals, bad-built Zoos, exotic animals illegal domesticated) are abuse for animals, since they give it stress and illness caused by stress. I'd love if there was a law preventin circus of using wild animals in their shows. Unfortunately, we don't have one. Anwyay, thanks, Croix!

King-ShadowWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by King-ShadowWolf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:12 pm

I love animals and I don't really like circuses. It's rare but some circuses are realy good if they don't have to go to gerastik meshers like abuse. Thoughs ones are the most amazing ones there are you have to agree but it is vary sad though.

Thank you Croix for makeing this link.

ironhide101

Post by ironhide101 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:49 pm

If i saw that my self i would sue the one who trains the animal because you are not even supposed to own these wild animals also for my love of cats . Besides this is very sad for i would say there is no reason to have a circus if it involves animals it should be illegal.

Larkey

Post by Larkey » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks for sharing Criox, this is the number one reason why I don`t go to the circus.