The Circus - Fun for Humans, Abuse for Animals

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Suicine
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Look up, look down. Look left, look right. Do you see me? =)

Re: The Circus - Fun for Humans, Abuse for Animals

Post by Suicine » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:05 am

I partially agree with this, it depends on the circus really and the types of animals.
I read about a circus that kept elephants in cages just a little bigger than a truck, tigers in cages the size of an elephant and birds in cages that restricted them from flying. That's a horrible, horrible, abusing circus.

I went on a tour around a circus once, and they kept their dogs in perfect space, let them run about, had a huge outdoor enclosure, lots of food (which was healthy, yum) and toys. They didn't look hurt and were jumping around like the hyper little things do. They also had bunnies, which was fine by me, and ducks. The ducks had their own little pond and a huge space. Same case with the bunnies. That isn't abuse.

See where I'm going?
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=68199
  • ¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)¸.·*¨)¸.·*¨)¸.·*¨)

Proud to be Kaia, Alukri of the ¢яιмѕση яαιηѕ ρα¢к.

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·*¨)¸.·*¨)¸.·*¨)
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=68199

RabidKingston
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by RabidKingston » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:09 pm

I strongly disagree with this. I'm actually planning on being in the circus and training animals all over the world. Not all trick animal trainers beat their animals. This is a piece of garbage topic in my opinion. I now train dogs to hunt all kinds of game (even wolves, and bear), and soon I will be going to a special school for exotic animal trainers. Not all animal trainers are bad people, and you should not judge us on a couple bad eggs. Out of hundreds of exotic animal trainers circus or not there are a few bad eggs I will agree, but don't make it impossible for people like me to not have a job and make a difference. If you all are all so concerted, become animal trainers, and try to fix the industry, and not try to take it away. Plus there is always be animals that won't be able to be released back into the wild, and us care takers need to make money to feed these animals, and what gives you any authority to tell us we can't teach them some tricks to show people, make money, and feed them. And not every zoo in the world can take all these animals that preform in circuses, or shows. They are better off preforming tricks for a crowd, then dead.
Alors vous pousser américains sont ..

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:11 am

I've never been to a circus before - they're not my cup of tea - so I don't know how well this stereotype stands with all circuses.

But I do know, as far as zoos go, the majority of them are 'bad' and keep their animals in cruel conditions...especially in countries that do not have a zoo association like Canada and the U.S.A do. But some zoos in Canada and the U.S.A are still appalling.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

SpiritOfTruth
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SpiritOfTruth » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks for sharing this, I was unaware and had always been excited to go to "animal featured" circuses.
In many circuses, animals are trained through the use of intimidation and physical abuse. Former circus employees have reported seeing animals beaten, whipped, poked with sharp objects and even burned to force them to learn their routines. They are taught that if they do not obey the animal trainer, they will be abused physically.

Many circus animals are kept in small cages, away from their natural environments. Don't you think a Bengal tiger would have more fun running through a Himalayan forest than jumping through a hoop? Animals are likely to get sick as a result of these unnatural conditions. Many even die in captivity.
Animals abused for our entertainment doesn't seem right, They aren't toys or dolls, They need freedom.
ѕινєя ωιєяηєѕѕ ρα
~Okami~ α σуα ~Accalia~
нσρє ιѕ α ωαкιηg яєαм
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70592

skullet
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: training for a war in my room and preparing to make prepoations

Post by skullet » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 am

Thats awful that is why im so fuorius at ppl that abuse animals for fun
I am the inventor of the night i am what even death is afraid of i am a fire ball set to destory they call me Scar Fire

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:53 am

RabidKingston wrote:I strongly disagree with this. I'm actually planning on being in the circus and training animals all over the world. Not all trick animal trainers beat their animals. This is a piece of garbage topic in my opinion. I now train dogs to hunt all kinds of game (even wolves, and bear), and soon I will be going to a special school for exotic animal trainers. Not all animal trainers are bad people, and you should not judge us on a couple bad eggs. Out of hundreds of exotic animal trainers circus or not there are a few bad eggs I will agree, but don't make it impossible for people like me to not have a job and make a difference. If you all are all so concerted, become animal trainers, and try to fix the industry, and not try to take it away. Plus there is always be animals that won't be able to be released back into the wild, and us care takers need to make money to feed these animals, and what gives you any authority to tell us we can't teach them some tricks to show people, make money, and feed them. And not every zoo in the world can take all these animals that preform in circuses, or shows. They are better off preforming tricks for a crowd, then dead.

If they don't want to perform they'd probably be happier dead! We think this is wrong and cruel, and it is! Animals prefer to run in their naturel habitat. We hate it, And wild animals are much different than dogs. And please don't train your dogs to hunt wolves. We are trying to protect them. If you love wolves and your a true wolfquester you wouldn't hunt them unless they hurt you fitst. But we aren't standing in the way of your dreams. However you may be surprised when you find out the truth with your own eyes

-Dusk
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm

duskypack wrote:
RabidKingston wrote:I strongly disagree with this. I'm actually planning on being in the circus and training animals all over the world. Not all trick animal trainers beat their animals. This is a piece of garbage topic in my opinion. I now train dogs to hunt all kinds of game (even wolves, and bear), and soon I will be going to a special school for exotic animal trainers. Not all animal trainers are bad people, and you should not judge us on a couple bad eggs. Out of hundreds of exotic animal trainers circus or not there are a few bad eggs I will agree, but don't make it impossible for people like me to not have a job and make a difference. If you all are all so concerted, become animal trainers, and try to fix the industry, and not try to take it away. Plus there is always be animals that won't be able to be released back into the wild, and us care takers need to make money to feed these animals, and what gives you any authority to tell us we can't teach them some tricks to show people, make money, and feed them. And not every zoo in the world can take all these animals that preform in circuses, or shows. They are better off preforming tricks for a crowd, then dead.

If they don't want to perform they'd probably be happier dead! We think this is wrong and cruel, and it is! Animals prefer to run in their naturel habitat. We hate it, And wild animals are much different than dogs. And please don't train your dogs to hunt wolves. We are trying to protect them. If you love wolves and your a true wolfquester you wouldn't hunt them unless they hurt you fitst. But we aren't standing in the way of your dreams. However you may be surprised when you find out the truth with your own eyes

-Dusk
If you want to discuss wolves, you should head over to the wolf boards. :)
That aside, while yes, wild animals are different in their own right, and going off SolitaryHowl's earlier point, we DO already keep animals "from their freedom" in facilities like zoos (most are born via captivity, so they are not necessarily "wild" but are exotic; with that being said, they wouldn't really know what they are missing if they were already captive-bred, though that doesn't mean they are tame or domesticated or anything). Granted, the condition of the zoo can vary, but zoos can offer a place to preserve the animal, given the right conditions; that being said, they can still be seen as some form of entertainment. Point being, it is not just circuses.

Sinopaa

Post by Sinopaa » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Suicine wrote:I partially agree with this, it depends on the circus really and the types of animals.
I read about a circus that kept elephants in cages just a little bigger than a truck, tigers in cages the size of an elephant and birds in cages that restricted them from flying. That's a horrible, horrible, abusing circus.

I went on a tour around a circus once, and they kept their dogs in perfect space, let them run about, had a huge outdoor enclosure, lots of food (which was healthy, yum) and toys. They didn't look hurt and were jumping around like the hyper little things do. They also had bunnies, which was fine by me, and ducks. The ducks had their own little pond and a huge space. Same case with the bunnies. That isn't abuse.

See where I'm going?
  • I have to agree with Suicine, the treatment of animals usually depend on what types of animals are owned and the members of the circus.

In all the circuses I've been too the animals were all relatively small -- just dogs, goats, rabbits, ducks and maybe a small pony or two. They were all cared for rather well, they all had plenty of room to run around in and play. They seemed healthy too. When I got to look at some of the dogs after a performance they weren't skin and bone.

However, there are many preforming three rings that don't care for their animals and starve them, or place them in cages that are either too big or too small. I don't think it is as common as it was in the 1800s or the 1900s, but the cruelty is still out there.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Good topic, Croix! And people think it's totally the animal's fault if it attacks.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Skydust wrote:Good topic, Croix! And people think it's totally the animal's fault if it attacks.
In general, all animals are unpredictable, whether they are in the wild, at a zoo, in your own home, or in a circus; it is not always necessarily to the entire fault of the human nor animal at face value, as it really depends on each individual attack case and situation, and the factors that led to the attack. Attacks are best evaluated individually if you were to make such a statement.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Windstrider » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Maybe all animal circuses should either stop or have an anti-animal abuse supervisor to make sure no animals are treated badly.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

Good vibes

LarkaMisty2
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by LarkaMisty2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Ever since I was little I didn't like the circus this gives me yet another reason to not go to one. I think it's horrible how they keep them from their natural habitat and the companionship with their own species.
╔══╗
╚╗╔╝
╔╝(¯`v´¯)
╚══`.¸.YOU

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Post by Silverfang88 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:23 am

My dad told me this when i was young. I was never nor ever will go to a "fun filled" circus. The next time there's a circus in the town, i will put up signs that say Circuses torture animals or don't go to circus there animal killers and would you like to be burned if you don't do a trick? Well thats what they do to the circus animals. That will get people to notice.
No longer active Might check in every few months

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Windstrider » Sun May 12, 2013 11:48 am

Most animals were meant to be wild, not made to obey man. They probably think, "Why should I do all this wierd stuff? I want to be back home in the [insert habitat here] where I belong."

Good vibes

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Post by Silverfang88 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Skydust wrote:Most animals were meant to be wild, not made to obey man. They probably think, "Why should I do all this wierd stuff? I want to be back home in the [insert habitat here] where I belong."
I totally agree with you, skydust. That's exactly what there saying.
No longer active Might check in every few months