Animal Hoarding

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Rjbledsoe
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Animal Hoarding

Post by Rjbledsoe » Tue May 31, 2011 4:45 pm

What are the signs of Animal Hoarding. No, I don't have many animals(only one) but I would like to avoid taking up any animal I see on the street--an urge I have whenever I see a stray dog or cat. I know there is a show on animal planet about it but that show, to be honest, scares me ALOT. I don't watch it. I would feel more comfortable hearing it from someone here.
There's Something
Unique
About Everyone...

-- Silhouette --
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Animal Hoarding

Post by -- Silhouette -- » Tue May 31, 2011 6:45 pm

Shows like that always tend to over-exaggerative the problem. Yes, it is horrible for anyone -- human or animal -- to go through, but it isn't all that common.

You do see the occasional case of course, but it isn't something you see daily like they want you to believe. i think everyone's heart breaks when they see a stray and they want to take it home. It is only hoarding when they completely lose their grasp on reality. They think they're doing good for the animals, when they're really just providing a festering breeding ground for disease and overpopulation.

It is quite a tragic issue, when you truly think about it. If you think you have a problem with hoarding, you should see a therapist as this may be a sign of mental instability that could be helped.

xx Athalie
╔═════════════════════════╗
......... αтнαʟɪє
╚═════════════════════════╝

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Animal hoarding is just awful. It's even more awful when shows exploit it.
I'm pretty sure that Silhouette covered all the reasons. I give you kudos for that. =3
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

safren
Yearling
Yearling

Post by safren » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:19 pm

Animal hoarding is awful and disgusting, considering most people have their house covered in pee and poo from their 50-100 animals in the house. One person I saw on a show had 210 animals and it almost made me turn the TV off. Animal Hoarding can also be cruel because many of the animals get sick and so the owner cant bring all of them to the vet and all that so in my opinion, what's the point of having so many animals in your home?
......................LIFE

───────╔═╗
───────║╔╝
╔══╦══╦╝╚╗
║══╣╔╗╠╗╔╝
╠══║╔╗║║║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╝

avvie© susijuani

Text art(c)nightly

Khisa
Pup
Pup

Post by Khisa » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:42 am

I don't support animal hoarding.

Animal hoarding involves keeping higher than usual numbers of animals as domestic pets without having the ability to properly house or care for them; if the pets are receiving neglect/living in unsanitary conditions/not receiving the care, food, or proper veterinary care, then I find this a form of abuse. Now, animal hoarding in the form of a breeder, who would have a large number of animals as the central component of his or her business that are treated with care in healthy conditions, I find alright. As long as the animals are in adequate care with people who know what they are doing and how to raise the animal, then I don't really care how many animals you have.

In my eyes, there is a slight exception to animal hoarding, compulsive hoarding which is basically a symptom of mental disorder rather than deliberate cruelty towards animals. Usually, these hoarders are deeply attached to their pets and fail to realize that they are not providing proper care. I still wouldn't allow someone to hoard animals in unfit conditions, mental disorder or not, but I find myself more lenient in this case, as the person wouldn't be intentionally causing the animal harm.
av by jewelz

dustydawn
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by dustydawn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 am

I am definitely not a fan of animal hoarding.
It's just awful, seeing them have all those pets and they can handle them all.
Most of all, the pets that most hoarders have are inside their house.

I don't know; but it's not healthy at all for them. :3
" too many feelings "

" and love is a word used too much and much too soon "
icon : soranofavalor

NewMooon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by NewMooon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Yes, television shows do over exaggerate what happens in the life of an animal hoarder but it really is bad. It is great for some one to love animals, but please don't keep so many. :|
..........╔═╦╗────╔═╦═╗
..........║║║╠═╦╦╦╣║║║╠═╦═╦═╦═╦╗
..........║║║║╩╣║║║║║║║╬║╬║╬║║║║
..........╚╩═╩═╩══╩╩═╩╩═╩═╩═╩╩═╝

.........."life IS hard."
.........."~ŋɚɰ ɱøøŋ

Green Paws Team

TextArt© Nightly
Avvie© Crystal

bigchicken
Pup
Pup

Post by bigchicken » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:14 pm

I'm an animal hoarder but I'm not insane. I keep up to 1 dog, 10 cats, and 75 chickens at a time. Although I do have a few other animals. Currently I have 1 dog, 9 cats, and 16 chickens. I have enough space and food for all my animals. My house isn't like what you see on TV about animal hoarders. I want more land to have more animals but I don't have it yet.

April

Post by April » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:00 pm

What?! Since when is adopting a stray bad? My dog Sam was actually adopted 10 years ago before he died and he was the friendliest dog I've ever met. I myself didn't adopt him, my Uncle did and when he moved 9 years later he gave Sam to us. Sam was found alone in the country, as a pup. Nowhere near civilization.

Also, a friend of mine told me what they saw. They found an abandoned mantion full of dead cats. There were like..over 100 and they had been poisoned when the owners decided they didn't want them anymore and abandoned the house and their poisoned cats. It...is such a waste...of life.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

equinehuggerr3
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by equinehuggerr3 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 pm

I think things like this are so sad; people who are regardless to life.
I am strangely addicted to Phineas and Ferb.
HORSES... Are my soul, life, and heart(:
Live to ride, ride to live</3
To ride a horse is to ride the sky.

Selize
Pup
Pup

Post by Selize » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Animal hoarding isn't just about the need for pets. Many animal hoarder are feeling lonely or have some sort of disorder where they need attention. It is a sad situation but it can be easily solved... get a great pet with lots of personality like an african gray cuz they can talk. I have seen animal hoarding on animal planet and the animals seem miserable and the people quite twisted. I saw an episode of animal hoarding and someone was hoarding bunnies. The poor things lived in the house all covered in their droppings. The worst part was that the woman who owned all these animals never cleaned up after her bunnies and her whole house was literally half covered in bunny droppings! I will save you the gross details! If you absolutely CAN'T stop hoarding then at least keep them in your backyard or in their own room. I saw on youtube a woman who hoards cats. She gives them each their own litter box and when she feeds them she throws the food at them like they are chickens! I won't lie I thought it was funny! On youtube search "Russian cat woman" and it should be the 1st one! There are no bad words or inappropriate material in it! Its the only case of hoarding I find funny! :lol:
yoυ we re a ѕм all вυмp υnвorn,
тнen тorn ғroм lιғe,
мayвe yoυ were needed υp тнere,
we're ѕтιll υnѕυre wнy

Avvie ©brebear.dA
Signature ©Ed Sheeran (Small Bump)

Rivenbeak
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rivenbeak » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:32 pm

Oh Geez... Dont get me started, I have a friends mother who hoards Chinchillas.
(Pretty awful right?)
There all stuck in her basement that is filled with bedding all over the floor.. She has at least 200 Chinchillas, 14 cats, 3 dogs, and 4 sugar gliders.
Yeah total nightmare. And her house isnt in the worse condition, but has quiet a bit of poop on the floor.
*did i mention she had a 500$ parrot as well?
Hey thar, Let me tell you a secret,
I like...
TRAINS.
.~dun dun dun~.

~Thanks GreatestAlly Fer the amazing avatar X3~

April

Post by April » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:45 pm

I watched a show on hoarders. Its called "The Secret Life of Hoarders" apparently there's a book about it too. Most people who hoard have something wrong with them, either a disorder or something weird happening in their brain (This could include depression)

But seriously sugar gliders? I didn't know you could even get those kind of animals without a permit of some sort because those aren't normal pets. ANd if she's hoarding sugar gliders too how on earth did she get her permit in the first place? O_o
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Rivenbeak
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rivenbeak » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:28 pm

April wrote:I watched a show on hoarders. Its called "The Secret Life of Hoarders" apparently there's a book about it too. Most people who hoard have something wrong with them, either a disorder or something weird happening in their brain (This could include depression)

But seriously sugar gliders? I didn't know you could even get those kind of animals without a permit of some sort because those aren't normal pets. ANd if she's hoarding sugar gliders too how on earth did she get her permit in the first place? O_o
Yeah.. I really dunno. But they could be Flying Squirrels too, so yeah.
Hey thar, Let me tell you a secret,
I like...
TRAINS.
.~dun dun dun~.

~Thanks GreatestAlly Fer the amazing avatar X3~

CamaroChick
Pup
Pup

Post by CamaroChick » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Im not an expert, but i will give you my opinion. Animal hoarding.... is not really bad. Its hard for me to explain, but it is done to do a good cause. A animal hoarder is a person that keeps taking in animals off the street because they think that thay are saving them and that they will find them a home. But after a while the animals are kept by the person and start getting neglected because there are so many of them. Most of the people that are animal hoarding think they are helping the animals by giving them a home but they dont realize that they are hurting them in a way. Then the animals start to take over the house and the person is living in filth and it is hard for them to get rid of them. So i wouldnt think of an animal hoarder as a mean, careless person, they are trying to help.
I hope that gives you a little idea what an animal hoarder is. Im sure you are fine. ;)
Shiny
Avatar © Lord-Pinkerton@deviantart.com