Animal Hoarding

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Animal Hoarding

Post by failwolf56 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Mhh, I've never actually heard of animal hoarding before this. It sounds like a very controversial topic, very interesting. To me, animal hoarding is not really a "good" thing. It can be extremely unsanitary, and often times the hoarders aren't able to handle so many animals. I feel it's a diaster waiting to happen.
Nov. 2011 UotM

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:32 am

failwolf56 wrote:Mhh, I've never actually heard of animal hoarding before this. It sounds like a very controversial topic, very interesting. To me, animal hoarding is not really a "good" thing. It can be extremely unsanitary, and often times the hoarders aren't able to handle so many animals. I feel it's a diaster waiting to happen.
And usually it does end up in disaster. It is first of all putting the health of the pets at risk, pets aren't usually spayed/neutered there for breeding and resulting in more pets. The hoarders lose money due to the cost of pet food etc. Not only is it unhealthy for the pets, the hoarders are living in the same dangerous conditions..
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:10 pm

BlackWarrior wrote: And usually it does end up in disaster. It is first of all putting the health of the pets at risk, pets aren't usually spayed/neutered there for breeding and resulting in more pets. The hoarders lose money due to the cost of pet food etc. Not only is it unhealthy for the pets, the hoarders are living in the same dangerous conditions..
I couldn't agree with you more here. Diseases are easily spread, when many animals live in close proximity with one another. Also, when animals proliferate in a household, the result can be devastating. The owner oftens gets over there head, and the animals are in bad conditions.One more reason why animals hoarding is usually a bad thing.
Nov. 2011 UotM

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:45 am

failwolf56 wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more here. Diseases are easily spread, when many animals live in close proximity with one another. Also, when animals proliferate in a household, the result can be devastating. The owner oftens gets over there head, and the animals are in bad conditions.One more reason why animals hoarding is usually a bad thing.
And the sad thing about it all is that the hoarders don't realize they are doing this to their pets... they will not usually willingly accept the help of others because it most likely leads to some of their animals being taken away... its not only a health and safety issue, these kind of problems often lead to the family breaking apart as well..

Has anyone watched "Animal Hoarding" on Animal Planet? A good example of these kind of situations.

Legendary-Taco
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Legendary-Taco » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Quite unfortunate, it is. I remember watching a program on Animal Planet, not Animal Hoarding, but something along the lines of 'animal cops'. Folks dealing with reports of animal abuse.

I remember on one episode, there had been a women who hoarded animals. Once her house was searched, they had found several deceased animals. Like the other folks said, the abundance of animals will easily give the opportunity for diseases to spread, if contagious. It may also cause potential harm to the owners. It's a really sad sight to see people doing this, sometimes.
Last edited by Legendary-Taco on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
___________╔══════════╗

_________im pretty meme savvy...
______ Ask me anything chump xox
________(avatar by me boyo xox~)

___________╚══════════╝

brightstar99
Yearling
Yearling

Post by brightstar99 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:00 pm

I watched animal hoarding before and one time I was watching it and I saw theses kennels full of dogs, I mean it and I think few of them were tied up in ropes or in chains and the rope or chain were tied around a tree or something. And I watch it again and this lady was keeping 200 birds in her house! I think that people should give their pets a good home if they can't keep them any longer due to bills and how many pets they have been keepen.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:34 pm

I think I saw that episode too Star!
The sad thing about animal hoarding is that, not only is it hard on the owners, due ti bills, disease etc, it puts the lives if the animals at risk, and if not their lives, than their health... and I have seen from experience that it isn't only dogs or cats that they hoard, it could be rats, birds, mice, rabbits, hamsters, horses, etc etc...
I also think animal hoarding is quite a sad situation because the hoarders don't realize they have a problem. They just love the pets and can't let go of them. It is actually a disease, and the hoarders don't realize they are causing harm to themselves, their family, or their pets.

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:09 am

Animal hoarding definitely isn't fun. It's tragic, disgusting, and horribly unhealthy for both the animal and the person. I hope no one has to experience this kind of thing.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:22 pm

CamaroChick wrote:Im not an expert, but i will give you my opinion. Animal hoarding.... is not really bad. Its hard for me to explain, but it is done to do a good cause. A animal hoarder is a person that keeps taking in animals off the street because they think that thay are saving them and that they will find them a home. But after a while the animals are kept by the person and start getting neglected because there are so many of them. Most of the people that are animal hoarding think they are helping the animals by giving them a home but they dont realize that they are hurting them in a way. Then the animals start to take over the house and the person is living in filth and it is hard for them to get rid of them. So i wouldnt think of an animal hoarder as a mean, careless person, they are trying to help.
I hope that gives you a little idea what an animal hoarder is. Im sure you are fine. ;)
I agree, CamaroChick. Hoarding is done for a good reason, but the hoarder gets outta hand. I mean, a better way for these people to care is to take 10 at the most animals at a time and then, they could give them to shelters or give them to good homes. They shouldn't just keep all of the animals, even if its very sad to part with them. But, the people can choose to keep the 3 animals they have and give whatever other animals they find to places that can handle them. Again, I agree with every word you wrote there, CamaroChick.
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

ironhide101

Post by ironhide101 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 pm

I saw a show or epoisode about this on animal planet and he had two injured cats the person loved all of his dogs and cats but wasn't taking care of them properly he got rid of some of the dogs but kept some as well i only pray that those animals didn't end up like they were before.

LarkaMisty2
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by LarkaMisty2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:05 pm

ironhide101 wrote:I saw a show or epoisode about this on animal planet and he had two injured cats the person loved all of his dogs and cats but wasn't taking care of them properly he got rid of some of the dogs but kept some as well i only pray that those animals didn't end up like they were before.
I agree, I don't understand why they let the people keep their pets when they have a serious problem, in which they need help for. I personally find it disgusting and inhuman to keep animals in those conditions and think that you are helping them and even more to leave animals with that person.
╔══╗
╚╗╔╝
╔╝(¯`v´¯)
╚══`.¸.YOU

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:00 pm

I always watch Animal Cops Houston or any of the other episodes where they would find many many pets abandoned or when the owner can't take care of them, they don't want to get rid of them? I don't have many pets at all, nor do I want to have a place run by dogs/cats, you name it. It's disgusting and unhealthy if the animals are not properly cared for, it's a disturbance if the owner is lazy to care and clean after their own pets, leaving their health to decrease. This is where I don't understand....reason why also there are many shelters over-crowded with abandoned or stray animals.
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:08 am

I had come to know my neighbor that lived a couple houses down; we bonded over both having rats as pets. She said she was a breeder, and I was looking to buy a small baby from her so she could have money to buy them food. Her house wasn’t dirty, or gave me an idea that she was a hoarder, but when I saw how many rats she had put in one cage, I was disturbed. There were at least 60-70 rats in a cage (the cage she had could only allow 6 females or 5 males comfortably), and their cage was covered in poop and looked as if it hadn’t been cleaned in years. She did not care to see their gender before locking them up. Any educated and formal breeder knows to always to this to not have any “oops litters.”

Not to mentIon, she didn’t have food to feed them so they were all skin and bones. Most were fed table scraps after her dinner. They weren’t at all lively when approached like my rats are, or petstore rats. I took more than one home, and I’m slowly getting them back to health and rehomed. But when I tried to educate her about her mishandling, she ended our friendship saying that it wasn’t “serious.” So I’m unable to save the rest, and it makes me sad that this is problem, and that she will get more if she hasn’t already.

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Tascalusa wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:08 am
I had come to know my neighbor that lived a couple houses down; we bonded over both having rats as pets. She said she was a breeder, and I was looking to buy a small baby from her so she could have money to buy them food. Her house wasn’t dirty, or gave me an idea that she was a hoarder, but when I saw how many rats she had put in one cage, I was disturbed. There were at least 60-70 rats in a cage (the cage she had could only allow 6 females or 5 males comfortably), and their cage was covered in poop and looked as if it hadn’t been cleaned in years. She did not care to see their gender before locking them up. Any educated and formal breeder knows to always to this to not have any “oops litters.”

Not to mentIon, she didn’t have food to feed them so they were all skin and bones. Most were fed table scraps after her dinner. They weren’t at all lively when approached like my rats are, or petstore rats. I took more than one home, and I’m slowly getting them back to health and rehomed. But when I tried to educate her about her mishandling, she ended our friendship saying that it wasn’t “serious.” So I’m unable to save the rest, and it makes me sad that this is problem, and that she will get more if she hasn’t already.
I think you should report them to an animal welfare organization like the RSPCA, because that is just not right. It doesn't matter whether or not some people consider them to be "pests", or think "they're just rats", no animal should be treated like that.
┌────────────────┤├────────────────┐
When the sky is clear and day has turned to night,
the land is touched by a beautiful moonlight.
└────────────────────────────────────┘

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:58 pm

Zawki wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:57 pm
I think you should report them to an animal welfare organization like the RSPCA, because that is just not right. It doesn't matter whether or not some people consider them to be "pests", or think "they're just rats", no animal should be treated like that.

I’ve reached out to some organizations in my area; only a one has responded, one explaining they do not have the space for rats. I’ll definitely do updates on my posts for this scenario. Pests or not, no animal should be treated like that as you said