What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Re: What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Post by Rikkuzilla » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:09 am

For almost a year now, I've been fostering a large, female red tail boa. She was actually dumped off and set up for "adoption" at my work. Poor thing looked horrible -- there are so many people who do not know how to take care of these large snakes unfortunately. So, I decided to take her and nurse her back to health until I could find an appropriate home for her. I like big snakes, but don't really want one long term ; although I was willing to commit to having her in my life permanently, if it would ensure her well-being. Well, after almost a year -- she went home yesterday to someone who is actually a foster mom for another animal rescue (but she loves reptiles). I couldn't imagine her going to any better place with a wonderful, loving person. Plus, it's nice to have my spare bedroom available for guests again, instead of a massive snake habitat. Not to mention, with her habitat and the bearded dragons habitat, that room was sooooo hot. D:

But I have always considered looking into starting a U.S. 501(c)3 reptile rescue. If I still lived in Florida, I'm sure it would have been easier-- but in Tennessee, it's kind of hard to find responsible reptile enthusiasts that aren't....well, to put it nicely, the type who really SHOULDN'T have reptiles. Heh ^^;

Well, perhaps one day it will happen! :]
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

Khia 112
Pup
Pup

Post by Khia 112 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Me and one of my friends are currently caring for an injured lizard we found.
......................'..Rain, rain, go away
.....................Come again another day
...............All the world is waiting for the sun
.......................To lie here under you
.......................Is all I could ever do ♥

Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

lunarwolf050
Pup
Pup

Post by lunarwolf050 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:31 pm

I have taken in Kittens that were strays apart from their mothers and still needing to nurse from the mother, I have also taken in a litter of kittens and the mother which the mother we adopted and kept her and she is a very loveable cat :3 also two injured dogs on the streets that one had a dislocated hip and the other was badly injured from a dog fight up the street with another stray. Both the kittens and the litter we turned over to the Pound or vetanair place for them to take in and care for after they had no need for nursing so we basicly fostered them. The dogs we took to the vet for care and had them turned over to them for more care and to be put for adoption for a new family. I have also taken care of some birds I have found not able to even fly yet just by giving them warms and food, I have also found a baby squarril outside my grandma's house and took it to the vet to be cared for since it had fallen out of the tree. and from there I'm still helping as much as I can with animals.
Moved WQ Account. New User: Zayree

lucarioheart200

Post by lucarioheart200 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:26 am

I haven't done much, but I've tried. Every now-and-again I'll make a poster about stopping litter, ect, and hang it up on the wooden board at Wallmart.

The activity that I'm most proud of is that I wrote a note to my teacher about how we really needed to stop the litter on the school playgrounds. She then agreed, took it into consideration, and gave the note to the school principal. Now we have a recycling program and a lot more trash cans. Once I can get enough money, I might donate to animal shelters.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Fri May 04, 2012 7:14 am

Well my father and i saw a bird have a broken wing so we toke it in the house and it stayed in our house in few months then next thing you know it better and we the took the bird outside... and that what i did to help a animal

ironhide101

Post by ironhide101 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Well i have decided to become a vet and an animal care giver to help take care of wild life and domestic animals.

Suicine
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Look up, look down. Look left, look right. Do you see me? =)

Post by Suicine » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:36 am

About a year back, mum and I were in the car, when we spotted this little cat on the road. Mum saw it and brang it into the car, to prevent it from being run over. We brang it home, gave it a drink and some food, then took it to the adoption shelter. It had been lost for a week now on that road, but it went back to it's home.
Another one was a bouncy little chihuaha running around the road. We again, picked it up and brang it to the closest house on the street. It had gotten out without the owner knowing, so it went back.
I'm not sure if this was 'Taking Action' since it was my bird (kinda) but we have lovebirds, and one of the pairs had a chick. They pushed it out of the nest and dad found it covered in ants in the bottom of the cage. I suggested naming it "Stubby" after we had gotten all the ants off it and fed it some baby bird food (it was about a week old, no feathers). We ended up naming it Stubby xD. Even though I was joking. He died two weeks later, but at least he had an extra two weeks to live.
A dog was once running in front of our house, so we got it with the lead (it was huge, almost my size, and I was 8). We locked it in the courtyard and called the RSPCA to pick it up. They did after an hour of calling, and I remember that I always watching 'Animal Cops' and stuff on Animal Planet (I still do c:), so when the ranger got the special lead that doesn't hurt the dog, I commented on it x3.

I am going to help the local RSPCA/vet when I'm old enough, and donate my next lot of birthday money... or just 'adopt' an animal online (my birthday is in two weeks or so). We've done a heap more, and I'm going to start a contest at school, with a $1 or $2 entry fee, then donate all the money to wolves (since we recently had a contest donating to the RSPCA. Our class won a morning breakfast c:). I've also signed petitions on 'save animals!' and ranted a whole lot about animal haters... to them XD.
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=68199
  • ¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)¸.·*¨)¸.·*¨)¸.·*¨)

Proud to be Kaia, Alukri of the ¢яιмѕση яαιηѕ ρα¢к.

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·*¨)¸.·*¨)¸.·*¨)
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=68199

SilverSparks12
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SilverSparks12 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:03 am

Once about 2 yrs ago, My mom and I saw a dog get hit by a car on the highway. My mom called the dog pound, when they came and took the dog away, they told us that they were going to put her down.The dog was so sweet that we didn't want them to kill her. We took her to the vet and the vet did an operation on the dog's leg. We later named the dog Annie and took her home. I'm so glad we adoted her, she's a very good runner now as well, even though at one point she pretty much broke her leg. :)
~Larkstar of The Four Clans

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 pm

We routinely take in animals that may need help or foster care to be healthy and find good homes and whatnot. Over the last year we've rescued one cat and got him re-homed (someone dumped the poor cat. Declawed and neutered and starving, fending for himself. Beautiful snowshoe Siamese, we got him homed within the week and he's very happy now.) We've fostered 8 kittens over the year, two litters (3 males, and then 4 females and 1 male), we're currently boarding a horse due to a friend with financial problems to make sure he's got the care he needs while she works on her situation, and I'm in the hopes of obtaining a very nice holland lop rabbit across the street, since he's not given the care and attention he needs.

Many of our animals are rescues. Two of our once-feral cats, Kailey and Ku'uipo, were kitten rescues that were sick, wounded, infested, or all three. Another was one failed foster that ended up staying. Our German Shepherd/Rottie puppy was an adopted dog from a vet clinic, whom almost died from being malnourished at a young age. Our dog Zoe, we got as a present for an older dog we had at the time to brighten up his life and give him a youngster to teach, who has passed on but raised her to be confident, respectful to other dogs, and as sweet as he was. Being a energetic boxer mix she brought a lot of much needed light into the old one's life and offered him an extra three or four years. One of our snakes is a sort of rescue, we purchased him from my mom's petsmart store she works at, as he had been there for over a year and needed a bigger cage and home, so we got him and he's proven to be an adorable addition to our family. :)

SilverGothicTears
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SilverGothicTears » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:02 am

I've helped animals by doing volunteer work at Ching Farm Animal Rescue and Sanctuary. The horses there have came from slaughter houses, rejection and simply because they do not perform the way the person wanted them to. Anyways, I spent two years working with these horses and helping them get the attention that they need. For a non-profit sanctuary, I think the place does fairly good!

I also forgot to mention that 4 of my pets are rescues too. My cat was picked up off the streets because the owner moved away and left the cat. My youngest dog was dumped on the streets because he is a runt, so we saved him and are currently still working on his anxiety because he has abandonment issues. My oldest dog was rescued from a desert because someone left him as food for the coyotes, so we nickname him coyote bait, but really he is a sweet dog and doesn't have any psychological disorders. My third dog was rescued from a puppy farm. They tried to make him look like he was living in better conditions, but when we asked to see the parents, we were not allowed. He currently has food aggression because as a puppy he had to fight for his own food and fight for a place that he could call shelter. He is improving as he realizes that he will continually get food and never go hungry.
Last edited by valkea on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding info from double post
Silver, the Gothic Pop Hybrid of the Nation.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:11 am

Please avoid double-posting, SilverGothicTears, as it can be considered a form of SPAM ^^ If you have something to add to your previous post, please use the edit button instead.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:48 pm

I really enjoy this topic. Great idea! :3
Well once I saved 5 baby flying squirrels after they fell out of a tree into the road. I was walking my dog when we found them and we took them to a wildlife reserve ASAP in case they was injured. Turns out they was very healthy and they are now living in a local zoo! Also I adopted a shelter cat named Honey and donated 25$ to the local animal shelter to help provide more pens or food and toys for the animals. Also I took care of a stray that came across us until we found his owner. His name (What I called him) Was Leaper.
Last edited by Blizzard_Wolf on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,
Night now brings the stars it makes.

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,
From silvery woods there comes a call.

DefyingGravity
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DefyingGravity » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Well, I have started out with feeding strays since I was very young. I have always clicked with animals right away, established special bonds that made me very protective of them and subsequently very interested in them and in the possible ways of helping them. For a time there, I was even considering becoming a veterinarian or a vet nurse, but unfortunately that never came to be as I have chosen a different path in life. I am still an animal rights activist and am doing my best to help stop animal cruelty and to support good causes.
I have adopted two cats from the shelter that have had some health issues I had to see to and I have enjoyed every moment of it - there is no greater satisfaction than to witness their progress.

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Post by Silverfang88 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:30 am

I pick up litter in my street, the beach and wherever i can find it. One time I saw a bird and it was trapped in a plastic bag so i ran over to help it. I got it out of the bag then it bit me (I just saved your life bird bro!) and then it flew off.

July 20, 2013
Fifteen minutes ago a saved a bird from dehydration. Twas lying on the ground so i picked it up and put in in a bird bath and it drank and washed itself off and now the bird loves me! :D I named him spot.
Last edited by Silverfang88 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
No longer active Might check in every few months

Snowyowolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Snowyowolf » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Me and my family have fostered a few litters of kittens without mothers. In our old neighborhood, there are a lot of feral cats that keep multiplying. We used to do a Trap, Fix and Return program where we could keep the cats still living healthy and keep them from spreading kittens. It worked out well :mrgreen:
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss