What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Post by Rikkuzilla » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:04 am

Whether it be wild or special pet in your lives, what have you done in your life time to helped contribute to the well being of an animal? Did you foster or adopt a pet? Donate or volunteer somewhere? Share your stories on how you took action to help an animal.
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

Zethra

Re: What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Post by Zethra » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:30 am

I have done quite a few things to help out animals; I have adopted a lot of animals throughout the years(being dogs), which had a kind of fault and where 'misfits'. This includes taking in animals that people need to find homes for but are not to sure of bringing it into a shelter.

I also volunteer at my local Kennel Club for puppy obedience class on every available Tuesday night, helping train the dogs and getting courses ready for the dogs to go over with. I also have been looking at volunteering at the SPCA where I live so that I can help bring in lost animals, maybe foster an animal.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 am

Nice topic! Maybe as people are listing what they do, it'll give ideas to others for what they can as well! (Like Zethra- I never thought about volunteering for a Kennel Club... way cool!)

I adopted a dog (basset hound) from a rescue group, am fostering a dog from the same group, volunteer to update their dogs available on Petfinder (in hopes to help the dogs find better homes faster), volunteer for a bunch of their events, and have made several small donations. I've also adopted 'stray' and unwanted reptiles (turtles and a leopard gecko) and have volunteered at animal rehabilitation centers (one for general wildlife and one specifically for raptors). And I wanted to volunteer for that Canine Can-Do organization that I wrote about in a totally separate topic, but haven't had the time with our current foster dog.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 am

I adopted my dog (Suka) from a humane society, I volunteer at that same humane society, and I regularly make donations to CWF, International Wolf Centre, and the humane society.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Post by Rikkuzilla » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:07 pm

Helping animals has been pretty much my career in life so far. I am a certified veterinarian technician (although, currently taking a "break") and certified dog trainer, so I work with animals on a regular basis. I adopted my cat from a local human society and one of my dogs from a rescue group.

I work with a few of local rescue organizations that visit the company store I work and train for on the side, helping with training rescue/foster dogs and on the side doing little art-related things to help raise money for them (like collie and corgi rescue (^_^)b).

I generally donate a lot towards the preservation of the Smokey Mountains and its wildlife. (I love those black bears! :D)
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Our family adopted a Corgi that we named Sunshine when I was around 9-or-so. We don't know his history, but he had been through a couple of owners, and he fear bit and growled quite a bit. He never fully grew out of his fear, and we could never touch him with our feet, and he hated ropes. We got him when he was nine years old, and when he was around thirteen, we got another dog(not a rescue) and that golden retriever helped us rehabilitate Sunshine a lot. We had to put Sunshine to sleep two years ago at age 14 and a half, but Teekla, the Golden Retriever, is still with us, happy and healthy. We like to think that we made Sunshine's life better for his last few years. =')

Other than Sunshine, we recycle newspapers, all organic waste in a compost bin(year round!), flyers, plastics, cans, glass jars you name it, we probably recycle it. =D

We had a bird stuck in our wood stove a couple of winters ago, and we managed to catch it in a sheet. It took us around an hour or so, but it was so worth it to watch it fly away. <3 I had taken a few classes that dealt with how to hold wild birds, so we could take it through the hose to the door without hurting/releasing it in the house. ← This was a great experience btw. =D
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:17 pm

For my birthday I asked my dad to donate $50 to The World Wildlife Foundation to help them out. =3
I've also donated to numerous animal welfare agencies and I'm currently trying to bribe my parents into adopting our next family pet. ^^
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Lovely topic! I'll have to watch out for some interesting ideas on here~

Well, all of my cats and dogs (except for Linkin) came from shelters, and my current cat Ringo was actually a stray we brought in from the street.
I've donated a lot to various organizations, such as WWF and the IWC as well.

I plan on volunteering at the SPCA, and maybe a bird refuge, but again, I haven't yet. That's on my list of things to do. ;D I even have the SPCA form filled out and everything, but I just need to turn it in.

Well, I can't really think of much else, though I've probably done little tiny things over the years to help, but can't recall. I suppose one thing that we use to do at my old house was that we would design humane mousetraps and let them go. It would be like a big family activity, seeing what we could use and how we could trap the mice without hurting them. It was a ton of fun, and of course, we didn't have to resort to killing the mice.

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Great topic, very thoughtful!

Well, I have volunteered at the SPCA, helped walk the elderlys dogs (If that counts) and sometimes donate money to various organizations like Save our Shores and, of course, WolfQuest. (:
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

+Noctis+
Pup
Pup
Location: A lachrymøse, forebøding, serene, place I call 'My Mind'

Post by +Noctis+ » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:29 pm

I've volunteered at my local animal shelter, and walked the dogs, cleaned a few cages, and washed some of the animals. I donated to the animal shelter a few times, and all my four-legged family members are adopted as well.
There is nøthing eiŧher gøød ør bad, But ŧhinking makes it sø.
___________________+||+||+||+__________________
Føøls set ŧhe rules in ŧhis wørld, just take a løøk arøund. It's undeniable.
___________________ [] [ ] [ ] []_______________________

Signature- Square Enix, and Shakespeare.
Icon- BlackAndWhite45.

wolfsong768
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: HEY THERE, WOULD YOU LIKE TO TALK ABOUT HOOOMESTUCK.

Post by wolfsong768 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:11 pm

i saved a dog from drowning in a closed deep kid pool. i also adopted a rescue puppy {jack russle beagle mix} from dog fighting stuff.
Im Swift.
My friends: Adoptiontiger, Chic wolf Chick, Wolfarrow123, Wilddog101.
My family: Blaze101, Peacewolfy2012, Lucky. (Blaze - Father Peace - Mother Lucky - Uncle)

White wolf solace
Pup
Pup

Post by White wolf solace » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:14 am

I recently donated all the money from my wallet to a wildlife fund, it was not much, but it was all I had and I probably will not be needing it.
Staring into my eyes, they can't comprehend what it is that they see, is it a being, or is it just an illusion, they wonder if they even really exist, or if they are just figments of my dream...

Now a proud member of Solstice Pack

ldsqon062501
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ldsqon062501 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:20 am

I have donated to a wildlife fund before, helped at a local shelter, and adopted my dog from a breeder who worked there.
~Swift~

Lord Voldemort ~ "Why do you live?"

Harry Potter ~ "Because I have something worth living for."

Anything is possible, so never give up.

Avvie By ~ Google!

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:57 am

Me and Zarago are volunteers at a Local Owl Sanctury, Zarago is mainly there but I go whenever I can, we help out with the birds and careing for them such as fresh water, cleaning, and exersize, hard days work but it is worth it, we also try help other wildlife as much as possible, we go on a Toad Patrol to help the local toad population, also, to save them from being killed by Cars on the road. =3
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

yuli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by yuli » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Well i adopted lot of dogs that i find drawn in the street or in the camp, And im working in the school in a project for help the animals.

Sometimes i put pics in all the internet or make groups (with my friends and in the internet) just for help them 8D