What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Break Out
Yearling
Yearling
Location: • Chillin with the fictional characters of Gorillaz on Plastic Beach •

Re: What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Post by Break Out » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Nice topic! Great idea!
Now, I haven't done much, because I am at a young age, but my family (being my sister, mother and I) have certainly helped out. We rescued my cat from an abusive home during the end of her pregnancy and just a week later she gave birth to 6 kittens. We took care of the kittens until appropriate adoption age (We got them their shots and regularly treated them for fleas when they were old enough) when we found good homes for the six of them. The mother, Jade, was in poor health and we nursed her back to a healthy weight and she currently lives with us. We have also taken care of a stray kitten until he was found a good home.
We've also taken in birds and a few dogs, but dogs are a little harder to take care of, so not many...
.................'..................♥ Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ ♥
........................¸¸.*¨*`..*¨*`.¸¸.
.......................All I need, all all I need...
......................'..............Is you
..........'...'......................ƨɱɪʅɪɲʛ
...............'...........At me, all all I need,
.............'..........All I need, all all I need,
.......................All I need, all all I need...
................................Is ʅɪƒє, ʅovє
..............'....................ɯɪƭɦ ɣơυ
........................¸¸.*¨*`..*¨*`.¸¸.
.......................♫ Av/Sig =JeansHowl/Crystal
.......................Lyrics ~ AWOLNATION! ♫

LakenTrue
Pup
Pup

Post by LakenTrue » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:24 pm

I fostered a 2-year-old basset hound for about 7-8 months. He found a home with one of my friends I met online. She had him for five years, I believe. I have also adopted a Sphynx cat, also known as the Canadian Hairless. Her name was Lucky. I learned much from her, such as, Sphynx cats do have some hair; also and they show a high level of energy, intelligent, curiosity, and affection for their owner(s). They are very good pets to have. I, personally, am allergic to cats, but she didn't seem to spur up my allergy as much as my neighbor's cat did. :3 One famous Sphynx cat is named Mr. Bigglesworth, belonging to Dr. Evil, I believe. c:
Everybody wants happiness,
no body wants
pain,
but you can't have a rainbow,
with out a little rain.

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:23 am

I like the topic...great idea!
To start off I been a volunteer for animal shelters, and I would always report news on an abandoned pet or animal to the SPCA of New Jersey., the experience of catching a animal that has been abused and harassed is what I been acknowledged with. The first time I worked there, there was a dog, it was a 5 year old collie, and it had floating knee caps, it was found along the side of an express way in a dog cage, the dog was pregnant, and had no room whatsoever in the cage, she had a tight collar on her, and her littler of pups died after she gave birth, her milk supply was low, and she was in terrible condition. if you have questions on what is floating knee caps, don't hesitate to ask. I adopted her, after she came out in perfect condition, but floating knee caps, with that disability, she couldn't run and could barely walk, I still have her today, she is a pretty little dog, but it's sad to see a dog with floating knee caps, it's heart braking to see something so innocent to have that, being in that position in a cage has caused that.
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

Legendary-Taco
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Legendary-Taco » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:22 am

Hm, well, when I was younger, I used to help birds which got injured by hitting a window or anything of that sort x3
It wasn't anything important, but hey, it was a start ^^"

Something recent was probably when I saved a stray cat from near death. My brother had found a stray in our garage, and her spine and ribs were quite prominant. We took her in and within a month, she had gained some weight, and we still have her today ^^
___________╔══════════╗

_________im pretty meme savvy...
______ Ask me anything chump xox
________(avatar by me boyo xox~)

___________╚══════════╝

Dusk97
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dusk97 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:39 pm

I donate $50 to the World Wildlife Foundation twice per year, because I get $50 on my birthday and Christmas. It all pretty much started when I got a catalog in the mail from WWF, which was when I made my first donation to the Humpback Whale. My most recent donation was to the critically endangered animal, the Emerald Hummingbird. The money actually goes to all animals, not just to one specifically. If I recall, someone actually donated somewhere around $1,000 to the WWF. If you donate $50 or more, you get a... bag of sorts or a box (if you donate $75), a plush of the animal (certain animals will have two plush versions), an adoption certificate, an information card, a picture, and a double picture frame. (if you donate $75)
"Naturally, everyone's gonna die...it's a natural part of life.
But, if you have no purpose, you're dead already.
It's what you do with the gift of life,
that determines who you are."

"Make yourself something you can be proud of."

~Dusk97~

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:58 am

I once found a cute little turtle in my yard, he was missing a foot, so he just had a little stub for a leg. He could walk fine, so a few days later, me, my brother, my mom, my dad and my aunt took the turtle to a beautiful lake for him to live in. I hope hes doing fine now, because he deserved to live.
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

rose13

Post by rose13 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:10 am

well i haven't really done much to help animals yet but im planning to do more when i get older. Im going to volunteer to help at my local animal shelter,cleaning out the cages etc. and im a vegetarian which sort oh helps them in a way. Also any money i have spare i donate to animal charities. :D and any pets we get usually come from animal shelters

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:37 am

I helped foster some kittens who didn't have a home. Also, when the supply of brooke trout was low, I joined a program where we housed a large number of trout eggs, and then released them into the wild.
Nov. 2011 UotM

-Winter
Pup
Pup

Post by -Winter » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:29 pm

During Halloween, I temporarily took care of five black kittens for Petco, since they were not selling them at this time of the year due to increased voilence with black cats at Halloween. It's sad in my opinion that that would happen. Also, another time, a hawk smashed into our wall when flying and injured its wing so we took it to a wildlife rescue team.
.....(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸...-Ɯιитɛя...¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
...`¯¨.¸¸´.´.¸)´.¸).....(¸.´ (¸.´ .´ ¸¸.¨¯`.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while
we're here, we should dance"

.....................................................-Anonymous

Icon © Gingerlite

Izzian
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Izzian » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:05 am

I adopted a kitten from a local shelter, and It's sort of a personnel thing but, my first cat was suffering so I put him down, there was nothing the vet could do. And that was helping him. :cry: :cry: But now i volunteer at a no kill cat shelter, Crash's Landing! CHECK IT OUT!!!
Avvie= Determined Pinkie Pie

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:38 am

I own a rescued horse and gave her a loving home. I took in two foster kittens who we still own. I helped raise 11 baby kittens.. I am volunteering at the vet centre and I am also in an environment club with school.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Khia 112
Pup
Pup

Post by Khia 112 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:14 am

I've wanted to volunteer at a no-kill animal shelter near my town, but my mom says I'm too young. I guess she just doesn't want to drive me over there, and I have a long way to go before I get a drivers license.

I did do a couple raffles to donate to animal organizations, including a local no-kill animal shelter, wolves, and bison. Although at one point I almost literally fell asleep on my feet, I'd like to do more of these.

I also "participated" in an Animal Planet event, where if you watch a certain episode of one of their pitbull rescue shows they donate money to that organization for every person who watches.

Several years ago, we found a kitten under my dad's truck and took him in. We don't have him anymore, but I loved that cat and still do. He wasn't exactly very "grateful" seeming though--the kind of cat that sits in your lap and purs, but when he's done with you, he tears you up X3

And my family also took in a stray puppy that we think someone abandoned in a Walmart parking lot accross the street from my house. Gosh, I hate how people assume animals can fend for themselves like that or just don't care!
We even found a poster for "Puppies For Sale!" that fit her description.
We weren't able to keep her permanently, but we found a good home for her.
......................'..Rain, rain, go away
.....................Come again another day
...............All the world is waiting for the sun
.......................To lie here under you
.......................Is all I could ever do ♥

Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

Kamiko
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Kamiko » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:41 am

Honestly, I did nothing. :'D

I've never helped nor rescue any animal nor wildlife before. and I probably don't plan on to, given my current circumstances of not enough income to support me, and even if I do want to help foster, I rather not, as my place isn't a ideal place to even be called a good "foster home". Sorry, as terrible as I sound, I'm just not qualified to take any actions. I rather not help, than try & "pretend" to help, when I know the support I give is not genuine & half hearted & do a sloppy job! it would be really cruel of me.

But anyways I certainly will help, when my own situation improves.

Lastly I would like shout out in thanks too, are the people who are kind enough to adopt the older animals as pets, as oppose to getting brand new litter! You guys are great! it gives all those older animals a chance to be loved! and shout out to those who donate to local animal shelter charities, and other sites, that promise to help maintain wildlife, you guys are great too! ^_^

Honey wolf

Post by Honey wolf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:55 pm

I guess this is helping as it is putting an animal out of pain, and long term health problems. You might have guessed it, iputting an animal down, i had a cat who was old,
about twenty two ( thats old :!: ) and we had to put him down, due to long term sickness
and pain. It was helping, because he was in so much pain, he was loosing weight, due to dirty teeth, which we could not clean, because he have to be put under anistesic( sorry i cant spell it :( ) and he was too old to have that done, at least i know hes out of pain 9 he also got fits, which were very scary and painful for him)
Im sure hes happy, now playing in greener fields like a kitten again :D

-Honey wolf

brightstar99
Yearling
Yearling

Post by brightstar99 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:57 pm

I helped animals before:

1. I volunteering at tigers for tomorrow, it's a zoo that saves animals such as wolves and tigers from abused circuses, abused zoos and more abused stuff.

2. Saved a bunch of frogs and toads from drowning in my grandma's pool. It's normal to save them from drowning but one time they were allot of frogs and toads in my grandma's pool! Half of them drowned while the others were swimming for their lives. My mom, my grandma and I think my dad took the frogs and toads out of the pool.

3. Saved two toads from death. Me, my dad and my sister spotted three toads, one of them died from a mouse trap while the others survived. I released them in the wild after we set them free from the traps.

4. Saved a greyhound after he got into the backyard twice. One day me and my sister were playing in the backyard until my sister saw something under the tree house. It was a male greyhound and me and my sister ran inside and told my mom. My mom knew that Heidi was in "heat" so we kept her inside until she nicely took the dog out of the backyard. Then a couple days later, the dog came back and me and my dad took it to a non-animal-killing-shelter.