What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Turtle Nerd
Yearling
Yearling

Re: What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Post by Turtle Nerd » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:11 am

Once I saved a chipmunk from my neighbor's cat? lol I've done just a little over the years and I want to do more.

Yesterday My sister and I saved a pair of toads from a chlorinated pool. It's a death trap there. So many frogs and toads are sprawled on the pine straw bordering the pool, probably poisoned from absorbing and drinking so much chlorinated water. We took the toads a bit away from the pool and they hopefully won't find their way back.

Grace505
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Grace505 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:50 pm

I saved a lot of birds...fine, to be honest my mum was kinda the one who really saved them. But I was always helping. Once, my classmates found a hurt pigeon near our school (I don't really think I was older than 8 then), i came there to see what's going on and when I saw the bird, I got the idea of running to my house to get help from my mum (I am living really close to our school). I wasn't able to do anything else, as I said I was really young and the bird had a broken, bloody wing. So I ran home to get my mum and she brought the bird home. We fed him and my mum took care of his wing. We named him "Pero" which means "feather" in our language. My mum was soon starting to check if he's ready to fly again. One day he flew away...
But me and my family were seeing him again around school and on the beach for a while after that. We would know it's him because, after walking on the ground for a little bit longer, his wing would like glitch down (the once wounded wing, and I don't know how to explain it...). However, he was able to fly, although I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to fly with that wing. But I think we (especially my mum) did a really good job.
~ The strength of a wolf is the pack ~
Moonstone Pack

GleamingBlack
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by GleamingBlack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 am

Rikkuzilla wrote:Whether it be wild or special pet in your lives, what have you done in your life time to helped contribute to the well being of an animal? Did you foster or adopt a pet? Donate or volunteer somewhere? Share your stories on how you took action to help an animal.

If I'd win a lot of money in the lottery, I knew what do do with it. :) Bit I didn't …

So I try to do my best in the way I can. I ofently pick up snails or worms from the pavement to put them back into the grass so they will not be squashed. ^^
But of course I also invest some money to support organisations which help animals. I am member of the "Freundeskreis Freilebender Wölfe e.V." ('friends of free living Wolves association').
And I ofently spend food to the sanctuary dogs and cats. You can do that in some supermarkets here. ^^

xxwarriorwolffernxx
Pup
Pup

Post by xxwarriorwolffernxx » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:40 am

I've Adopted a cat, and also saved his life. He was found on the streets, Dirty and thin. Now he's clean and fat! (Not too fat though, lol) I have also saved a few cats from going boom. Tying cats to fire works, I untied them and most of them were strays. I nursed them back to health, took them to the vet and they were ready to be adopted. The cats with collars/owners were brought back to the owner.

firedog6
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: At My Desk, on the Compuster, Sitting on A Chair, Obviously

Post by firedog6 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:53 am

I've volunteered at a few no-kill dog shops, and walked, fed and socialized little Chihuahuas. <3 I now have lots of rescued dogs, all from no-kill rescue places that really need to get dogs adopted...
SHREWITITY

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:08 pm

I volunteered at the animal shelter for a while, mostly with the cats. I have adopted every animal I've owned, either from a rescue place or from the street itself. We found my cat as a kitten. I also have stayed at a wolf sanctuary for a week where I got to help care and interact with the wolves.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Sun May 10, 2015 5:12 am

I have:

Adopted many animals
Made many campaigns and donated the money I earned during that time to various charities including: WWF, UKWCT, Redwings.
I unfortunately had to stop some of my fundraising after a injury but am hoping to start again soon.
I have pretty much tried everything I possibly could and even went on hunger strike...
Many people call me crazy for doing these things but I just ignore then and carry on.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

rainstorms
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by rainstorms » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:22 pm

I've helped turtles across roads before?
━━━━━━━━━━

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:39 pm

Not supported certain "animal rights" organizations.
(Pardon the snark.)

My family has adopted a rescue dog; my mom, in particular, is a very avid supporter of rescue groups. On a more personal level, I would also argue that doing my best to dispell misinformation about wolves counts... after all, it may help (you hope, at least) direct focus to where it is actually needed. :)

D0m

Post by D0m » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:23 pm

I used to, when I lived near one, help out at stables and the same for an animal shelter.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
〘 Skadoosh 〙

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:31 am

Koa wrote:Not supported certain "animal rights" organizations.
This, though. :']

I haven't quite found a lot of opportunities to directly help animals before, but I've made a fair share of donations to local animal shelters/the animal ambulance. I've also found multiple lost cats that weren't supposed to be outside, but I'm not sure if that counts as helping animals as much as helping their owners. Back when the Undine Falls Pack was still around, the pack adopted Grizzer from the IWC as well, which was cool - especially since Rikku was so kind as to send me the adoption package.

Now that I've gotten a job again, I'm probably going to look into adopting an animal again sometime soon. :]

Oh, and does being a vegetarian count? ^^; I've been a vegetarian for almost five years now because I don't support the industry.

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:50 pm

Spreading accurate information and showing people my snakes, so less nonvenomous harmless snakes are killed just for being snakes or for being mistaken as a venomous species. (:

D0m

Post by D0m » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:38 am

Liver wrote:Spreading accurate information and showing people my snakes, so less nonvenomous harmless snakes are killed just for being snakes or for being mistaken as a venomous species. (:
Wow! Nice work!
Sometimes me and my friend try to spread awareness of predators because they are thought of as horrible by many in our school so we try do similar things but mostly with German Shepherds, Wolves and Tigers because those are the most hated in the school.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
〘 Skadoosh 〙

MimpiDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by MimpiDreams » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:36 pm

LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:I have:

Adopted many animals
Made many campaigns and donated the money I earned during that time to various charities including: WWF, UKWCT, Redwings.
I unfortunately had to stop some of my fundraising after a injury but am hoping to start again soon.
I have pretty much tried everything I possibly could and even went on hunger strike...
Many people call me crazy for doing these things but I just ignore then and carry on.
Hmm that is very strange.I have the same opinion. :shock:
~MIMPI~
~I RUN INTO A NEW QUEST~
~I CHASE ONE DREAM~
~BUT IT SLIP AWAY AGAIN AND AGAIN~
~AND THAT QUEST IS TOO LONG~

thanks ICEWOLF636 and FuzzyDesertPaw

D0m

Post by D0m » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:24 am

Really? Which bit with?

I may be doing another run soon!
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
〘 Skadoosh 〙