What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: What have -YOU- done to help animals?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:39 am

I've volunteered at a wildlife rehab center for a year. I loved taking care of the babies; so adorable!

Worked with squirrels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, coyotes, chipmunks...

I would have volunteered again but getting a rabies shot is super expensive (and hard to get), and I don't think I could have smelled raccoon poop again. Its the worst smelling stuff on the planet.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

TheSeaWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by TheSeaWolf » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:10 am

Been a JZK for two years, caring for some amazing animals and educating as many people as possible.

Besides that, just donating to conservation, raising awareness, and educating people.
Celebrating our oceans and the sea wolves who depend on them.
Proud leader of the Azure Mist Archipelago Pack. PM me for details or join our Discord server!
[Avatar by me!]

XxshadowmysteryxX
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by XxshadowmysteryxX » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:17 am

I have done loads to help any animal in need. My recent dog, a pit bull boxer mix named Diamond was abused before I rescued her. She was burned, beaten and locked in a cage for her first six months alive. And as you know the stereotypes for pit bulls she wouldn't last long in a shelter. My past dogs had always gotten into wild bunny nests... I hand raised the abandoned baby bunnies and released them once they were off the kitten milk we were giving them. My recent rescue was a blue nosed pit bull named Pharaoh. He was rescued from someone who we believed was breeding and fighting blue noses... He had tons of scars from what we thought had happened. Sadly Diamond didn't like him much so before either dog could get hurt we got him a good home and do every other month check ups or so. I'll continue to help animals as much as I can. I'm even a vegetarian going onto becoming vegan!
~We are strong enough to stand alone~
~We are confident enough to stand apart~
~We are wise enough to stand together~
~We ARE the Savage Shadows~
~ShadowHeart|Alpha Female~
~Forever n Always a Savage Shadow~
Proud member of The Pack of Savage Shadows, daring enough to be one with me?

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:00 pm

This year, I got my school to help raise money in order to save the red pandas from extinction. And, when I was 10, I called Yellowstone National Park to ask if they would mind if I raised money to help save the wolves. He said that my money was not needed at the time.

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:05 pm

I had donated money to Kids for Animals when I was still a little child, my parents actually paid for me, but I said I wanted to pay for the animals so actually I did pay it myself in one way or another...? Then I started donating my own money to another animal rescue and welfare organisation (I forgot the name...) though recently I stopped being a member there due to money issues...

As of today I now and then donate money to KNGF Geleidehonden (literally translated to Royal Dutch Guide Dog Funding). It's not exactly to help animals, but the money is used to train dogs to be guide dogs for handicapped or blind people.

I really want to donate money again to an animal rescue organisation, but at the moment I'm low on money so it might take a while before I do that again...
DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:36 am

One day while I was nine years old, I saw a bird the had crashed into the window. At first, I thought this was some loony bird, but when I realized it actually seemed to have hurt itself, my sister and I went out to its aid. We couldn't touch it, as it wouldn't let us, and we weren't going to touch it if it didn't want us to. So we supplied it with food and water. The bird recovered quickly, and we were glad, because my mom was a the brink of calling animal control.

As far as general terms, I've helped clean up the environment by my home, and have donated to many organizations.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Latra

Post by Latra » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:10 am

All of my pets have been adopted through my life, & I've never gone without having a cat or dog. Ive also done a lot with turtles in my neighborhood who were drying up (lots of baby turtles around here die that way) and transporting them deep into my backyard where we have a lot of water (thanks beavers, that was very helpful). I've fixed a couple nest that were knocked from their trees during a storm, we've got a fox & apparently coyotes so I try to get them back up into the tree as soon as possible. Me & my family have donated a good deal of money to various organizations.
╔════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╗
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
ꕥ ❁ ꕥ —Mary Oliver ꕥ ❁ ꕥ
╚════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╝

Quote / Av Shop

-FireBreaker-
Name: Fire

Post by -FireBreaker- » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:46 pm

Most of my pets i have (had) has been adopted. I've also helped animals in my area. Once, when me and my friend were walking with his dog, we saw an injured bird. We gave it some food and water, and it recovered pretty quickly. Me and my family have donated money to organizations has well.
·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´
Wh¥ §hðµlÐ ï åþðlðgïzê £ðr hê mðñ§êr ï'vê ßê¢ðmê
ñð ðñê êvêr åþðlðgïzêÐ £ðr måkïñg mê hï§ wå¥
`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´
:: av/sig © Lupin/Samber ::

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:09 pm

I've helped my parents rescue many animals including a fawn, baby bunnies and a falcon to name a few wild animals and several dogs and cats.and when I'm older I hope to learn and conduct research on the predator prey relationship and figure out a way to reinstate the 'predator plan' back into most types of livestock to lessen the likliness of an attack by wolves, coyotes, and possibly mountain lions and bears
Go your own way

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

Post by twinlinskis » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:25 pm

this is a pretty dead thread, but i thought that i could add some of the things that i've done without it being much of an issue :')

i've always had a soft spot for animals, and it's not a surprise that even at a young age, i wanted to try my best to help them. i usually focused on strays and lost animals that i would find around my old neighborhood in my hometown, which i would lure home with me by getting some cooked bacon (for dogs because my tiny little mind knew that dogs could never resist the alluring smell of bacon) or opening a can of tuna (for cats so that i could gain their trust-- it was a lot harder to get them to trust me than dogs, but that's understandable). after i got them into my backyard, i would quickly and quietly close the gate and keep them in the back. i remember i used to have this old dog house that i found when i was riding around on my bike and i got my dad to pick it up so that i could use it whenever i "saved" another dog or cat. anyway, i always put old towels and tattered blankets in there whenever i successfully drew an animal into my backyard, and i kept food and water by it so that they would feel safe and cared for while i got my parents to arrange for us to go to the animal shelter and drop them off there. in hindsight, i'm pretty sure my parents were fed up with my behavior, since they always made really sly comments like, "another one, mary?"

it became such a trend that i kind of gained a reputation with our local animal shelter, and whenever i called them they would know it was me and they usually took it upon themselves to come and get whatever i managed to catch instead of us driving all the way across town. i became pretty close with the people there, and they always made sure to call my parents to tell them that one of the animals i brought in either found a new home or were picked up by their original owners. this habit carried on as i grew older, and i'm still guilty of occasionally pulling over on the side of the road and attempting to coax a dog or cat to come with me (i've done it about three times since we've moved here lol but we live in the country and most people let their dogs and cats wander [see: poor animal handling by owners] so i've actually kind of calmed down with my "saving"). realistically, this is kind of dangerous and pretty stupid of me, but i would like to think that i'm doing something good for these animals.

now, though, instead of frequently picking up strays and lost dogs/cats, i tend to focus a lot of my time on the flock of birds that come and nest at my house every year. my dad is an avid birdwatcher, and with the hobby comes a particular species that he has an affinity to. for him, these are the purple martins, which are a species of bird that are part of the swallow family. these birds, i believe, are slightly dependent on humans for their housing as they migrate from south america to here. we've had upwards of fifty birds nesting at our house (i hope to take pictures of them this year and post them here), and often with so many birds comes a lot of confusion once the chicks have hatched. sometimes, the babies will be pushed out way before they're capable of flying-- this is often done by inexperienced parents or parents who had their clutch later than usual-- or the parents abandon the nest/chicks or die/are killed by predators, drowning, etc. when this happens, my dad and i are fully equipped to take care of the babies. my dad, for one, has a sort of bird expert for a friend. she's been rearing wild birds and releasing them for a good majority of her life, and she's the one that most people go to whenever they have a martin issue and need her help. she's taught my dad and i a lot and has even given us some of her equipment (long and blunt tweezers, a cage, syringe, a comprehensive martin chick raising guide, etc), and we make sure to follow her instructions and methods to a T. we've successfully raised and released about ten chicks, and we hope to see them come back this year!

i realize this is literally a block of text and it probably makes absolutely zero sense, but i just wanted to get all of what was on the top of my head out and onto the computer screen lol
............ ............
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
............ ............
sig © twinlinskis

SingingWithSirens

Post by SingingWithSirens » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:58 pm

There's a lot of stray dogs and cats around my house, there's always been. During the winter months, I leave cardboard boxes with old towels in them so the animals have someplace warm to sleep. I also leave food and water out.

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:34 pm

I donate many things to our Church's animal shelter drive, and I also give an annual gift to the International Wolf Center to help take care of the wolves. I led a workshop with my brother's cub scout pack to make stray cat houses, and my friends and I organized a project to where our science class symbolically sponsored/adopted a platypus. We get updates on him! It's actually really cool that we are helping this amazing species, we give a monthly donation to the zoo he is at and it helps pay for his food and medical bills. (No pun intended.)
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~