Dyed Animals

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Whippersnapper
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Dyed Dogs

Post by Whippersnapper » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:18 pm

dreamer989 wrote:its just wrong but it does look stange but wouldent it have like some sort of healt risks im just saying
But how safe is it? Mary Peng, who runs the International Center for Veterinary Services in Beijing, warns that many coloring products used in China may not be tested for pets. The dye can be absorbed through the skin or ingested when pets lick or clean themselves.
"Sometimes these dyes can be fatal for pets," Peng says. "Most of this industry, especially hair dyes and coloring for pets, is so new that there might not be a lot of regulation."
Peng says breeders will even dye puppies and kittens just to make them look more attractive.
"I saw a black-and-white tuxedo kitten who was dyed to look like a seal point Siamese because it would have a higher sale price," Peng says. "This animal did not do very well. There was probably the use of industrial grade hair coloring products. The animal was sick and required extensive treatment and hospitalization."
So yes, it is health hazardous; another reason I'm against it >_>.
................Whip

My original voice is thrown
Why won't the voices let me speak for my own?
On the outside I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat
But on the inside I'm being tormented like a traumatized rat

...........Avatar (c) Koa

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:29 pm

I am completely against dying any animal just to make them more visually appealing. The fact that any owner could risk the health of their pet just to make them look interesting or different from another animal. It's really upsetting to hear about pets being exploited and being used as "fashion items"; people who flaunt their pets as if they are an inanimate object.

Hestia

Post by Hestia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 am

Its rubbish in my point of view; I find it a cruel and unusual “punishment”. It does not make their dog or any other pet look cool, it makes them more variable to things that can harm them. It is just rubbish, and rather depressing to see dogs like that.

Aime
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Laying on my bed with my laptop on my lap, posting on the WQ Forums.

Post by Aime » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:48 pm

I feel bad for the poor dogs. They should know that it has a chance to be toxic and could even kill your dog. I would never be so selfish to make my dog look "better" in exchange for the dog's health. I also wonder if the dye comes off on your hands or furniture. If it does, they totally deserved it.
   Bunny
   ~~~~
We have doomed the Wolf not for what it is, but for what we have deliberately and mistakenly perceived it to be..the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer..which is, in reality no more than a reflexed images of ourself.
   ~~~~

Lavawnder
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Lavawnder » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:10 pm

There are dyed chicks, used for Easter, I suppose.

Video:

Information (found in the information section of the video): http://lancaster.unl.edu/4H/Embryology/ ... kens.shtml

Apparently, they inject colored dye into the eggs before they hatch. According to the article, it can be used to study also.
By coloring chicks, we can study how the chick's feathers grow. The colored down (the fuzzy blue and green colors you see now) are replaced by juvenile feathers in about two weeks. You can see how the feathers change by watching the color pattern change on the baby chicks.
The article also states that it is harmless, although I doubt it. I am against dyeing animals.
///////A R C A N A - I M P E R I I
//////pulvis et umbra sumus . . .
///////. . . we are dust and shadow
///////_____________________
////////Dame Lavender
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45801
///////_____________________

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:59 am

My friend once saw red chicks, indeed, but that wasn't for studying their feather growth. And I must agree with you, I don't think it's healthy messing with animals' colours in any way, unless it is selective breeding.

DarkWolfGirl54
Yearling
Yearling

Post by DarkWolfGirl54 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:13 pm

I'd never dye my dog and risk his health for beauty (actually,I think dyed dogs are quite ugly). It doesn't really seem worth it, making your dog sick so it can look pretty.
#SwiftAsTheCoursingRiver
--{Arise} and be
_______-all that you dreamed
_______________all that you dreamed...

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:09 pm

My gosh. if it's harmful why on earth would people do that? I mean, is there no pet friendly fur dye for those how want to have it done?
People seriously confuse me at times.
................................α s h є є k
.................קг๏ย๔ ๒єtค Ŧє๓คlє ๏Ŧ tђє รtคг lเﻮђt קคςк

MarionettePuppe
Pup
Pup

Post by MarionettePuppe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:22 am

Zethra wrote:I agree, I have seen this before. A woman on TV having a pink and purple poodle, I know they look pretty and unique. But, I do find this a bit disturbing...

Again, I can understand them looking pretty, unique and even cool. However, not only could it be hazardous to the dog's health but it could also be hazardous to the human if they're not careful.

So, my opinion with is that I don't really approve of this act, it's dangerous and even possibly toxic.
Yes; the panda dog as shown in the article does look adorable, I admit, but I wouldn't do that to my dog or cat. I'd grow to love it as it is, rather than dying it with the risk of blood poisoning and a shorter life span. Each pet is unique already, so there is no need to dye it.

Perhaps it would be fun to Photoshop pictures of your pet, without dying them. :3
Agreed completely with Zethra and... sorry, I don't know the username. :/ Anyways, this is what really got me:
"If we encourage and praise the pet, it will understand from our facial expressions that it's pretty and then it will be happy," she says.
It's like, "Seriously?" it just makes me scoff. All animals are beautiful, unique and wonderful in their own ways, and we have no right to change that so that they will specifically appeal to our eye. ><;

I agree, though, with this guy - he seems to be logical:
Chao says he would never change the color of his beloved dog's fur.

"[...] but how do we know this is what dogs really want, and if it's healthy?"
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. "
-- Edgar Allan Poe.

ethiopianwolfking
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ethiopianwolfking » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:58 pm

this is an incedent i heard about recently. apparently some youths found a cat, died it pink, and dropped it into someones garden.
the thing that really annoys me is people reading this signature!

Jessy96
Pup
Pup

Post by Jessy96 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:58 am

Completly useless and ridiculous.
Sorry but if I see all these chihuahas on TV and on another channel a dog trainer playing and training with a happy dog..
You can see the differences between these dogs in their face and how they act. The model dog has no stamina and it´s almost too exciting for them to go around the block.
People I knew bought a chihuahua cause they thought they wouldn't have to take him out for a pee, but in the end the dog stayed there only for 2 months.
Dogs/animals are no things you should show to be a animal lover. If you want that little animal lovers buy your products, open a home for animals with professional people to care about them.
Like an animal town! :D
Learn more about humans, cause they change.
Those who call you a friend today, will blaspheme you tomorrow.
Trust must be earned, not sold. :)

Victorious
Pup
Pup

Post by Victorious » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:00 pm

I might have nightmares for the rest of the month. The owners of these dogs would be better off tying rope around a stuffed toy and dragging it down the street.

If you ask me, the colors nature gave them is just fine.
--
I <3 Fauna (animals).
--

Ray: Now what kind-a chuppa head tolded ya'll to go dis-a-way?
Louis: I FOUND A STIIIIICK!

shadowolf

Post by shadowolf » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:04 am

I find that dying dogs are an unusual punishment. If it is a hazard to the animal and pet you love, then why in the world would you do it? If they loved their animal as much as they say, then they would love the colors nature and natural selection gave him/her, and wouldn't dye him/her to look like a fox or something.

Victorious
Pup
Pup

Post by Victorious » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:33 pm

shadowolf wrote:I find that dying dogs are an unusual punishment. If it is a hazard to the animal and pet you love, then why in the world would you do it? If they loved their animal as much as they say, then they would love the colors nature and natural selection gave him/her, and wouldn't dye him/her to look like a fox or something.
Exactly! people love to say "Oh, my dog is my baby!" well, would you dye your baby purple? I certainly wouldn't. Dogs are living breathing creatures, not jewelry.
--
I <3 Fauna (animals).
--

Ray: Now what kind-a chuppa head tolded ya'll to go dis-a-way?
Louis: I FOUND A STIIIIICK!