Dyed Animals

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Khia 112
Pup
Pup

Re: Dyed Dogs

Post by Khia 112 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:28 am

Pretty, but stupid. It really makes me angry to see what some people will do to animals these days.
I mean, come on people, you're basically spray-painting your dog/cat.
It's ridiculous and unhealthy for the animals. You should love your pet the way it is, not how you think it should look. It's the same as being shallow.
......................'..Rain, rain, go away
.....................Come again another day
...............All the world is waiting for the sun
.......................To lie here under you
.......................Is all I could ever do ♥

Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

LunaSilverfang
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by LunaSilverfang » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:41 am

I agree with you. They do look pretty but it's stupid because not only is it pointless but the pets don't get a choice either. :evil:

Khia 112
Pup
Pup

Post by Khia 112 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:17 am

LunaSilverfang wrote:I agree with you. They do look pretty but it's stupid because not only is it pointless but the pets don't get a choice either. :evil:

Even if they did get a choice, it's very likely that most "dyes" used are unhealthy for them.
......................'..Rain, rain, go away
.....................Come again another day
...............All the world is waiting for the sun
.......................To lie here under you
.......................Is all I could ever do ♥

Av/Sig: LupinzPack/Emberflare

NightlyH

Post by NightlyH » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:54 am

I just saw a dog few days ago and it was pink. It just upsets me to see unnatural colors on animals, it can't be good for them. ;c But even so, all those people just seemed fine with it...
Creator of Return of the Pack project
http://moca.games/

Dark Hawk
Pup
Pup

Post by Dark Hawk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Nightly-Howler wrote:I just saw a dog few days ago and it was pink. It just upsets me to see unnatural colors on animals, it can't be good for them. ;c But even so, all those people just seemed fine with it...
I agree, if a pet owner likes their pet they should accept it's natural beauty. I'm sure pets highly dislike their fur being colored, it's really appalling that some one would do that to their pet. It does look cool and all but in my opinion, it's downright cruel.
I wont lie
I won't sin
Maybe I don't wanna go...

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:45 pm

A show I was watching last night reminded me about this topic.
This women had brought two dyed dogs and manicured dogs onto the show. She claimed it wasn't cruel and that the dogs enjoyed all the attention.
I personally don't agree with dyed dogs, or animals in general. It can't be good for them, even if the owners are using dye meant for those purposes. If anything, they are apparently supposed to use food coloring. But yet again, a pet is not a toy to experiment on and attempt "coloring" its hair.

In a close up, I feel that this sort of thing is more for the owners wanting attention, than the well-being of their pet.

Of course, I do not look down on, or disrespect anyone who has/does dye their dogs and pets, I just personally don't have the need to do so. Therefore, wouldn't do it. ^^"
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Selize
Pup
Pup

Post by Selize » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:30 pm

I find this awful treatment for animals. Just imagine someone dying your hair an odd color without you knowing. I have heard of some music videos using horses that were dyed pink. I actually think this is fine as long as it washes out and isn't harming the horse in any way. Then again, I have heard of people putting dyes in chicken eggs for Easter. I, personally, think people should let the animals' true beauty shine on its own instead of relying on unnatural colors to make them look 'unique'. Ultimately, I am against this.
yoυ we re a ѕм all вυмp υnвorn,
тнen тorn ғroм lιғe,
мayвe yoυ were needed υp тнere,
we're ѕтιll υnѕυre wнy

Avvie ©brebear.dA
Signature ©Ed Sheeran (Small Bump)

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:30 am

@BW- Yeeeahhh... I once saw a show with dyed poodles with very... creative fur cuts and they did state they use vegetable colouring and the like for the fur colours, which I don't suppose is harmful, but I still have my doubts that it is equally healthy to natural fur. This doesn't bother me as much as shoes on dogs (Have you ever seen them try and walk with those? ò3ó) but it still annoys me that some people can't respect their animal for what it is, in a sense.

@Selize- Not sure if the animals themselves are too bothered by being a different colour seeing they don't notice it in the way humans do/ I very much agree with the rest of your post, though.

As for pink horses... Were they too lazy to use video-editing? Haha, as long as the horses are fine it's not too much of an issue though.

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:44 am

This is truely sad, i love animals and inwas watching some about cats but ill be off topic
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Why would you need to dye a dog's fur just because you wanted to make it look pretty? As long as the dog doesn't resist, maybe you could put it in doggy clothes or something, but this is wrong. It could be hazardous to the dog's health, and they probably don't like it. Especially if you dyed a wild animal's fur and let it back out into the wild, then it's elements of camouflage and special markings that serve purposes would be destroyed. One of my mom's friends from her work place got a dog and dyed its fur green. :x We don't really associate with them anymore.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Selize
Pup
Pup

Post by Selize » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Silverness: As for pink horses... Were they too lazy to use video-editing? Haha, as long as the horses are fine it's not too much of an issue though.
Exactly my thoughts Cx. Anyway, I read more about the pink horses and the singer, Pink, actually pursued the case and told PETA about it. She tweeted later, "Artists should be more aware and responsible for their actions." I'm actually not sure who's side I would be on.
yoυ we re a ѕм all вυмp υnвorn,
тнen тorn ғroм lιғe,
мayвe yoυ were needed υp тнere,
we're ѕтιll υnѕυre wнy

Avvie ©brebear.dA
Signature ©Ed Sheeran (Small Bump)

monkfishlover
Pup
Pup

Post by monkfishlover » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:50 am

So how would the dye be poisonous to animals? I think that the dye would be banned if it was proven to be harmful to animals or if it had any toxic chemicals. The companies who made the dye could also likely face lawsuits if the dye was harmful, so it would be too risky for them to put any nasty chemicals in it. If there are similar dyes for human hair that aren't harmful to people then maybe they might have one for animals that wouldn't hurt the animals. I do agree however, that if you aren't 100% sure about it being safe or not, then you shouldn't be dying the animal in the first place. And I'm not too fond of the dressing up animals either(it seems kinda pointless to me) but if the animal seems to be ok with it, then why not? That's my personal opinion on the whole subject.

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Maybe we will eventually develop non-toxic dyes for animals. Maybe the ones they used on those dogs in China was non-toxic, but like you said: if you're not sure, don't try it.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 am

I can't really find a source for confirmation, but I read somewhere that in some movie called "The Beastmaster", they dyed a tiger black but the tiger eventually died because the dye was toxic. I personally think it's irresponsible to dye your animal in the first place, because you can't really be certain it's safe until you have tried it out. I guess that it's not much of an issue if the colouring process is completely harm-free and safe, but I just don't see the need for it altogether. Natural colours look far more appealing to me.

April

Post by April » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 am

JuliusthePython wrote:This is sad. Simply sad. They think their dogs look "pretty", but their dogs are thinking "why am i green now? This is making me sick." OK i don't know if they really get sick but i bet they do. It is sad. If i had a dog, i would like it brown, or white, or black, or whatever color it came in!
Dogs can't see green, so he'd just see another shade of gray.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack