Extinction

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Extinction

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 pm

This topic is to talk about animal extinctions - recent or far in the past.

For example, the most recent extinction is the Baiji Dolphin who went extinct in 2007 (source: http://dodosgone.blogspot.com/) and the West African Rhino who also went extinct in 2007. (source: http://dodosgone.blogspot.com/)

What is the Top Country for extinct species in the last 500 years?

The United States of America. 231 animals extinct. 23 species of plants extinct.

(source: http://dodosgone.blogspot.com/2007/09/2 ... -list.html)

Animals That May Go Extinct in 10 Years?

1. Iberian Lynx
2. Sumatran Orangutan
3. Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombat
4. Wild Bactrian Camel
5. Dama Gazelle
6. Seychelles Sheath-Tailed Bat
7. Chinese Alligator
8. Black Rhinoceros
9. Pied Tamarin
10. Leatherback Turtle

(source: http://dodosgone.blogspot.com/2007/06/e ... years.html)

What About Wolves?

Unfortunately, the Red Wolf is close to extinction with only 100 individuals left in the wild. Previously, 20 or so years ago, the Red Wolf was extinct in the wild and only 15 individuals existed throughout the whole world! Re-introduction has been successful, however it is still likely they will become extinct in our lifetime.

(source: http://www.treehugger.com/galleries/200 ... php?page=5)

Is The Genetic Diversity In Decline?
http://dodosgone.blogspot.com/2007/06/extinction-rate-estimates.html wrote:
Another threat to species is reduced genetic variability resulting from the obstruction of migration routes used by land animals. New highways, urban sprawl, and other man-made barriers, can shut off contact between species subpopulations.
Would Biodiversity Recover Without Humans?

Read this Article; it's very interesting. (http://dodosgone.blogspot.com/2007/06/b ... umans.html)

This Topic Is Not Meant For Anti-Human Discussions; Merely to Bring Awareness.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Extinction

Post by Alpha Female » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:38 am

That's a shame there's so many animals that have gone extinct, and are on the list of esxtinction. I'm hoping that, with the list of the top 10 animals, we can try to save these animals so they have a better chance.
Thanks for sharing all this information with us Solitary, the article on biodiversity without humans is quite interesting.

My favorite extinct animal would have to be the Quagga. It's a shame that they are extinct, but I have heard from numerous sources, that they are trying to re-breed the Quagga. Here's the description of what one looked like (pictures on the website):

The Quagga was a southern subspecies of the plain zebra with withers of 1.30 meter. It differed from other zebras mainly in having been striped on the head, neck, and front portion of its body only, and having been brownish, rather than white, in its upper parts. The name Quagga has been adopted from the Hottentot speaking indigenous people of the South African interior. 'Quagga' is an imitation of the animal's call, which it shared with the other plain zebras.
Source: http://www.petermaas.nl/extinct/speciesinfo/quagga.htm
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:57 am

It's quite a shame that so many animals have gone extinct, half of the animals I haven't even heard about. Which, I find pretty sad for me.
There area also many animals close to extinction. Although, we can try our best to help prevent it... and that's what people have been/are trying to do.

My favorite extinct animal would be the Leather back turtle. I didn't know that they had gone extinct until now though, just thinking that they were still endangered.
Thanks for sharing this topic with us Solitary.

Unfortunately, the Red Wolf is close to extinction with only 100 individuals left in the wild. Previously, 20 or so years ago, the Red Wolf was extinct in the wild and only 15 individuals existed throughout the whole world! Re-introduction has been successful, however it is still likely they will become extinct in our lifetime.

That is quite sad, the Red wolf is one of my favorite wolf types. (aside from timber or arctic) So, it's a shame that they will eventually become extinct. Although, we did try our best to help, and I'm sure we'll keep trying.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 pm

It's a shame when this happens, it's also very upsetting to hear about the Red Wolf, I hope the Top 10 animals population shall be revived and saved. Adding on the Zethra, I haven't heard most of them, that shows how rare they are =( I am happy to sya that people are trying their best.
There is a Program about saving endangured animals, "One Baby at a Time"

Baby Planet: http://tv.sky.com/baby-planet

It's a big shame. Thank you
SolitaryHowl for providing this
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

Winterwolf1

Post by Winterwolf1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:53 pm

It's sad to see animals that are nearing extinction.
It's also not that great seeing the Red Wolf not doing to well, I hope that it might be able to recover. I also know there is a leapord called the 'Amur Leapord' that is also endangered.
My favourite in the list of animals that might go extinct is the Iberian Lynx, i've always liked lynx I find them very unique. It would be a shame to see them go extinct.

Thanks for sharing this SolitaryHowl.
Icon made by Sambhur

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Interesting topic Solitary^^
I remember finding out that the Baiji Dolphin had been classified as extinct; it was really devastating news, seeing as I'd always taken deep interest into river dolphins. I also hope that efforts in conservation will be able to help the ten listed animals.^^

My favourite extinct animal has to be the thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger).

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Animals That May Go Extinct in 10 Years?

1. Iberian Lynx
2. Sumatran Orangutan
3. Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombat
4. Wild Bactrian Camel
5. Dama Gazelle
6. Seychelles Sheath-Tailed Bat
7. Chinese Alligator
8. Black Rhinoceros
9. Pied Tamarin
10. Leatherback Turtle
Thanks for that Soli!

It's a shame that these animals may go instinct, especially the turtle, they've been around for so long...
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Razorfang
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Razorfang » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:44 pm

Thank you Solitary.

I thaught the Iberian Lynx had extinguised from the wild already. Seems they are still around the place,

how many of them are still around in the wild? It seems the website where this information has been foun on, has not those numbers.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:26 am

Razorfang wrote: how many of them are still around in the wild? It seems the website where this information has been foun on, has not those numbers.
Here is some information regarding the numbers of Iberian Lynxes:
Studies conducted in March 2005 have estimated the number of surviving Iberian lynx to be as few as 100, which is down from about 400 in 2000 and down from 4,000 in 1960.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberian_lynx

Using this information I found, I am guessing there's hardly any left in the wild, unless their population numbers have increased dramatically. They are labeled as 'Critically Endangered', but not as 'Extinct in the Wild' so I'm guessing there's still some left in the wild.^^
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Razorfang
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Razorfang » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks for the information. ^^

Though it is from wikipedia, Wikipedia is mostly pretty accurate with numbers and such. but only 100 in 2005? I am afraid that they will go extinct soon, even when humans try to protect the animals.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:33 pm

Even animals that are close to extinction (like the Red Wolf with less than 1000 individuals) will not escape extinction. There would not be enough genetic diversity for the species to survive.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:18 am

It's a shame the conservation efforts are in in vain.
I just checked up on the conservationr rate of the Red Wolf:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Wolf

And this is the Pied Tamarins:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_Tamarin

It's not good.
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

Scyther
Pup
Pup

Post by Scyther » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:36 pm

Frankly, this makes me sick.

No matter how many people say they are going to conserve the endangered animals, it's not going to work. There's poachers and everything who ignore laws and continue to kill animals. It makes me sad to realize it's us that did this...if only there was some way we could actually fix it.

-Scyther
no warning sign, no alibi. we faded faster than the speed of light. took our chance, crashed and burned. no, we'll never ever learn.

lillah

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:23 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:Even animals that are close to extinction (like the Red Wolf with less than 1000 individuals) will not escape extinction. There would not be enough genetic diversity for the species to survive.
Thats wahat many people think of the cheetah. Many scintest say that even if people no longer poached them, that the cat would never make a full comeback because of inbreeding. Some suffer from cramped teeth, bent legs and other debilitation deformaties...
................................α s h є є k
.................קг๏ย๔ ๒єtค Ŧє๓คlє ๏Ŧ tђє รtคг lเﻮђt קคςк