wolf truths and lies

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Re: wolf truths and lies

Post by Asheek » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:01 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:Wolves have indeed killed people, and although it definitely isn't probable/common, it certainly has happened before.

Also, with the wolves raising children...I don't think that's ever happened before.

'Wolf packs are hunting game' ? What? Wolves hunt whatever they can, so 'game' is certainly up for grabs. But do they put a significant dent in the population? No.

About the raising children thing, I watched a docemuntry(sp?) abdout 'feral children'. A while ago a woman had left her child alone in the ruins of a building and a local pack of feral dogs took in, and raised the kid as their own. The child (after being captured and brought into some facility to treat him) acted like his canine companions and was quite aggressive towards the people. Eventualy the 'tamed' him and placed him with a family. There was another about a girl having been raised by a pack of wolves but it was a very long time ago and I cant really remember
................................α s h є є k
.................קг๏ย๔ ๒єtค Ŧє๓คlє ๏Ŧ tђє รtคг lเﻮђt קคςк

dreamer989
Pup
Pup

Post by dreamer989 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:22 pm

yes people have died from wolfs my frends little bro died because of a wolf while on vaction
leader of the flaming winds

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Wolves do not kill people intentionally. If a person trespasses on wolf territory, or if a wolf was sick then they may kill or injure a person, but a wolf would never kill a person on purpose.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Aspine wrote:Wolves do not kill people intentionally. If a person trespasses on wolf territory, or if a wolf was sick then they may kill or injure a person, but a wolf would never kill a person on purpose.
Or; if they were starving to death. Generally, wolves fear people and stay away from us.

But wolves killing humans are rare.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:15 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:
Aspine wrote:Wolves do not kill people intentionally. If a person trespasses on wolf territory, or if a wolf was sick then they may kill or injure a person, but a wolf would never kill a person on purpose.
Or; if they were starving to death. Generally, wolves fear people and stay away from us.

But wolves killing humans are rare.
Aspine is correct, wolves do not prey upon humans "intentionally", BUT, wolves can become man-eaters which consequently would make them hunt for people as their primary prey. In the 16th Century France there was a well documented incident involving a pack of man-eating wolves which entered the city of Paris and killed and ate over 40 people. These wolves were forced to seek food from human regions as it was winter and they experienced famine, but during the time they terrorized the city, they developed a taste for human flesh and in fact did "intentionally" kill humans. Wolves mainly attack people during denning season and after pups are transferred to rendezvous sites. Provoked and habituated wolves are also very likely to attack. Injured and sick wolves become defensive and might strike out a bite in self-defense. But, yes, healthy wild wolves typically avoid and fear humans as they are timid and elusive.

And about the pup vs. cub thing... Both are zoologically accepted terms, however, generally the term "cub" is only used when referring to non-canid offspring, such as felids and bears. "Pup" and "puppy" are more appropriate to describe canids, in my opinion.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH