Spay and Neuter!

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Inoushi
Pup
Pup

To fix or not to fix?

Post by Inoushi » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:07 pm

Hey all. This topic is about hearing everyone's view points on the issue of people fixing their animals Vs. not fixing their animals. Also I want to talk about breeding as well. The main reason for this topic is often times owners fix their animals without fully understanding the pros and the cons. Many times vets will say nothing but good about it. When in reality there are negative effects. Even the timing of when you fix your animal is important. Yet many times groups such as the ASPCA will try to fix a animals no matter what. Now before we start the issue I want to post Scientifically prove pros and cons to fixing animals. Please do not be narrow minded this is about learning. It is also about perhaps formulating a better plan rather then the new legislations that have enacted mandatory spray and neuter laws. These pros and cons was recently featured in a article on MSNBC. However if you doubt them you can always track them down in science journals.

I first learned of these cons when I got my first dog. She is a pure rotty however she won't be bred because she has hip dysplaisa. However she is not fixed. Simply because of the weight itssue. We have had her for six years and we have not had accidents. Do you know how this was accomplished? Making sure she was secure. Never taking her off the lead in public and not taking her to dog parks (though no one should bring their dog because of all the diseases that are abound but thats another topic) and yes she does has male friends who she plays with who are not fixed. But we pay attention and we don't let her hang around them during the seasons she goes into heat nor do we leave them unsupervised. So this will just shed a personal example that your dog is not going to run off and contribute if you take proper precautions which you should either way simply for your dog's safety.
In the case of cats who are outdoors I strongly support fixing them. The first reason being that your males will get into more fights. And its ultra easy for them to find a mate. Also with Feline aids, Feline leukemia (unlike in humans its contagious) and other diseases you shouldn't let your cat warrant that type of proximity with other cats when its outside.

Pros
Your pet will not be able to reproduce
Your males will loose some of their aggression (however this can become learned behavior and sometimes fixing the dog will not correct the problem)
Your males will no longer be at risk for testicular cancer
Your females will no longer menstruate
Your females will no longer be at risk for cancers in its ovaries and uterus and lower the risk of breast cancer.
No spraying or scent marking

Cons
your pet will gain weight and be more at risk for obesity
If done to early the animal will not have important hormones during its growth. This is especially important for large breed dogs. The reason for this is because they need thick bones and wide chests to support their bodies. With the absence of hormones neither develop properly and the dog is more at risk for arthritis and problems with their joints

These down here tend to be all rare ailments yet in dogs that have been fixed these tend to show up 5 times as much.
Thyroid disorders
Behavior problems (if done early can cause aggression and noise phobia)
Bone cancer
heart tumors
Last edited by Inoushi on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyes glowing red I plunge through the darkness.
Fur so black that it swallows light.
Son of a mother of the wood. Son of a father of the sky.
Product of an unholy union.
Tonight I shall live. Tonight I will howl.

Makayla
Yearling
Yearling

Re: To fix or not to fix?

Post by Makayla » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:41 pm

To me, yes.
The over-population of strays, and overall, those who don't want them, either leave them on the street or give them to pound.
Then, if not adopted, it gets put to sleep.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
(Avatar by Jaw)

Join the group for updates and info about my published book, Adopted By Wolves!
http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref= ... 3201117108

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:45 pm

personally, I think it should be up to the owner.

I dont really have an opinion on spaying and neutering, but I would probably do it for any of my future pets because I think it helps a lot with aggression problems.
icon by Rottenrobbie

OceanWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by OceanWolf » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:58 pm

I would not and don't spay or neuter my dogs, so far I have had no problems with not spaying neutering them.
/------------海狼------------------------------------\
{Bioluminescences, the light in the darkness.}
\--------------------------------------海狼----------/
~People need to stop trying to change the world, and do there best to keep it the way it is~

leapingwolf
Former WQ Moderator

Post by leapingwolf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:53 am

Yes they should be fixed
Anyone who doesn't agree should goto the pound and see all the stray puppies and accedentel litters who usually get put down.
Thats just my oppinion
http://wolfhige.deviantart.com/

H. help
O. our
W. wolves
L. live

).........(\_
((.... _/{ "-;
)).-' {{;'`
( (. ;._ \\

Pelt like the earth, Eyes as the moon, Ears as the night and chest as the stars

ψRµñ åwå¥, rµñ åwå¥, ñðw, Ì'll 円å¢kψ

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:03 am

We have an overpopulation of stray cats, so yes I would say that it's better to spay your pets. Like Leapingwolf said, just go to the pound and see for yourself what results out of not fixing them.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Fawn

Post by Fawn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:10 am

I think it depends on location and owners choice, in big cities where animal population is a problem, I say fixing should be mandatory, in other places, I say not mandatory. I fix my pets, I dont need any puppies running all over my yard :D

OceanWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by OceanWolf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:35 am

leapingwolf wrote:Yes they should be fixed
Anyone who doesn't agree should goto the pound and see all the stray puppies and accedentel litters who usually get put down.
Thats just my oppinion
Sure fixing your pets would cause a lot less accidental breeding, but if you are careful and watch your animals, you would not need to fix them. In some cases I would say to fix your animals, like if you have an outside cat.
/------------海狼------------------------------------\
{Bioluminescences, the light in the darkness.}
\--------------------------------------海狼----------/
~People need to stop trying to change the world, and do there best to keep it the way it is~

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:55 am

heres something to look at:

if every single person fixed their pets, in 20 years I think most dog breeds would go extinct.
why? because there would be no more offspring.

thus fixing can be a bad thing.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Inoushi
Pup
Pup

Post by Inoushi » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:24 am

OceanWolf wrote:
leapingwolf wrote:Yes they should be fixed
Thats just my oppinion
Sure fixing your pets would cause a lot less accidental breeding, but if you are careful and watch your animals, you would not need to fix them. In some cases I would say to fix your animals, like if you have an outside cat.
I agree perfectly. The excuse of accidental litters is poor. The reason is these accidents generally occur because people do not have the animals properly secured. Either their fence is not good in their yard, they take them off the leash in public, or they simply just loose control of them. Its fundamentally wrong to use the excuse when in essence that problem shouldn't even arise. I would say people who use that should be happy they only got a litter and that something worst didn't happen to their pet. And as a owner you should know when your dog goes into heat simply because its always going to occur during the same season. If your dog goes into heat around say fall you should watch her and make sure she is secured. Male dogs should always be secured. Its just the way it is. I rather not have accidental litters brought into this discussion simply because it uses negligence as a reason. If your dog bites someone due to the same reason you get punished.
Eyes glowing red I plunge through the darkness.
Fur so black that it swallows light.
Son of a mother of the wood. Son of a father of the sky.
Product of an unholy union.
Tonight I shall live. Tonight I will howl.

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:11 am

I am in favor of having your pets fixed if you are not planning on responsibly breeding your pets. Like Blindseer mentioned, if everyone fixed their pets, we could have problems down the road. But if people are not being responsible with their pets, they should get them fixed. My pets have either been fixed or I have only had same gender animals to prevent breeding. In some countries, feral (wild) cats and dogs run rampant. In the US, there are more pets than there are homes for them. Not everyone wants a pet of unknown past and I respect that. I have always had Humane Society/Rescue pets and they have been fantastic--even my non-English speaking feline with behavioral issues.

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:24 am

WQ Project Coordinator wrote:even my non-English speaking feline
What do you mean by that? ^^"

I also think that fixing your pets is important, for the sake of the animals. My mom kind of adopted a stray cat, but didn't get it fixed. When the right season came, the cat got pregnant and had kittens.

One day when the mother cat was transporting her kittens to a new location, she had to cross the road. Well, a car came, and...yeah. The mom and three of her kittens were killed.

That's what happens when you have too many pets. If you plan on breeding your pets, I would say that it's best to do it responsibly and not overdo it. Also, fixing your pets can help curb their tempers and make it easier to live with them, which is always good.

"Remember, help control the pet population! Have your pets spayed or neutered!"
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:28 am

how is that relevant? animals get hit by cars all the time...
icon by Rottenrobbie

wolflover1
Yearling
Yearling

Post by wolflover1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:31 am

I think pets should be fixed. My 3 cats are fixed and my dog is fixed.
"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice, to deceive!"
-Walter Scott; Marmion

Snakes rock.

I A Series of Unfortunate Events!

Ayame_
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Ayame_ » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:32 am

OK people, think. how would you like it if you got your private parts removed? huh?