Reducing roadkill

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Sunawa
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Reducing roadkill

Post by Sunawa » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:07 pm

I agree.Once,on my way to camp,I was counting roadkill,(don't ask...) and it was about a two hour trip.I counted over 200 road kills.Pretty sad.I even saw a few dogs.It was quite sad.So,I think they should put up warnings in areas where there are large amounts of animals.It would make the road safer for Man and Animal.Simply because it can cause large amounts of damage to us as well.Like when my dad hit a dog on the highway,it caused a huge amount of damage to the car.Another was with my Mom,because we were driving on a dirt road and she hit a cow.(You should have heard that woman on the telephone that she was calling about the damage.You would have thought she never heard of a cow before.)That was probably the weirdest thing we ever hit.So,furthermore,signs put up would help a lot.
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

True Love Is When You Would Die For Them
Or When Nothing Matters But Helping Them Through.

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

If Every Girl Could See Her Beauty, We Would Be An Army.

iTaylor
Pup
Pup

Post by iTaylor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:14 pm

So, so sad.. D:
avi by me

blackscar
Pup
Pup

Post by blackscar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:35 am

once my mom stopped for one it was near a nature center tee heeee
the turtles are being killed because people in those huge SUV going 75 on a small road can't even see the turtles before they are crushed ---------------------^ its blood red you see ? other than that i don't know how to stop it
once i was in no were land canada on a road that i wasn't sure was even one going 1 per hour when there was a hare in the middle i stopped hare didn't move after about 5 minutes we slowly moved forward and then it moved grrrrrrrrrr
road kill feeds scavenging animals where i live deer are over populated get hit a lot feeds vultures but causes damage
REDWALL!!!!!!

BADGER LORDS of SALAMANDASTRON

O{ not O{ stop fish coloring today!!

Sundance_Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Sundance_Wolf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Well, you must understand that if it's large game, then it could either be your life or the animals'.
For example, let's say there is a deer flying across the road. Now, if your just going a normal speed of... let's say.... 50 mph, and you swerve, you could hit a road sign, fall in a ditch, or hit another car. One time, a saw a car upside down because they tried not to hit a deer. Also, if you survive those potentialy severe injuries, then your car is most likely totaled. And let's face it, alot of us don't have the money to buy a new car. Or even a used one, for that matter.
So, for this reason, they say you shouldn't try to miss the animal. Statistics show that less people actually get hurt, or even hit the animal if they just keep going staight.
Now, about the turtles... As stated before, it can be quite dangerous to just slam on your brakes in the middle of the road. This is when you should slow down a bit, and just go over the turtle without your tires hitting it.
Proud Alphess of the mighty Sinister Demise.
We carry only the most epic RPers, and have been around for a long time.
Contact me if you have any interest in joining.
-----
Green
Be
An
Epic
Color! :D
-----
Epical avatar by alphakasha!

wolfzrule555
Pup
Pup

Post by wolfzrule555 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:43 pm

i have an idea the goverment could pay to have a very small holed wire mest on either side of known wild life roads :)
Just be your self
just be kind forgiving and understanding
And you will find who you truly are !
maybe some day we will all meet in that place our mother nature calls heaven ~prefix 103

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Yeah, some people do "Run and hit and then run" We've never ran over something before.
On the road we were driving and there were some birds fighting over this piece of bread, one bird took it "We thought it was going to fly-off" but the second bird pulled it back and they were fighting on the road. we "Nearly" crashed into them.
But they flew off just in time leaving the piece of bread behind.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:52 pm

I live in quite an urban area in the UK, so we don't get much wildlife on the roads. I remember once we went to Florida, and as my dad was driving I saw a turtle crossing the road, so I shouted at my dad to swerve. :') We just missed the turtle, thanks to my lightning quick reaction time. P:

I agree; especially on roads where wildlife lives closeby, drivers should be very cautious and aware, and not go speeding down the road.