Saving Water

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Saving Water

Post by pawnee » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Do you turn off the taps when you brish your teeth? How about wash your car in the driveway? Maybe you enjoy taking bubble baths and reinacting a scene from Jaws.

and why should you care?

Because water is a vital resource and a right to every human being on the planet. Without life doesn't exist. Yet millions of people do not have access to clean water, or are forced to pay a ridicoulous price from private companies for safe,clean drinking water. Did you know that the water in your community is tested sevral times a day? Meanwhile bottled water (which is usually tap water) can be tested once a year!

What are sometips youve learned on how to save water? Do you practice them?

I also watched a really good show on PBS about water and how it affects people, whales, fish and the enviornment. I highly reccemend it though it was rather disturbing...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/poisonedwaters/
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Tally
Pup
Pup

Re: Saving Water

Post by Tally » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:34 pm

Thank you for the important reminder to watch our water. And thank you for the link! It is important to stay informed.

crow_noir
Pup
Pup

Post by crow_noir » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:14 am

You should also look up (on PBS) Strange Days on Planet Earth (one of the segments has to do with water usage.)

---

I adjust my water temperature down for the shower, using as little water pressure as possible.

When i buy bottled water i make sure it comes from a tap source and NOT a spring source.

At home I don't always flush (it's just me and my significant other and our toilet is an old one that probably uses around 10 gallons per flush.)

I've always turned off the tap when brushing my teeth. It never occurred to me to leave it on. (When i was little i even told my mom to turn it off :- D ) It wasn't until recent years that the realization hit me that some people do leave it on. WHY?!?! What is the purpose of it?

My poor car doesn't get washed... unless S.O. decides that it needs it (we're going on a long road trip, going to something fancy like a wedding, or the snow and salt is built up too much on it.)

We don't use water intensive lawn care, no artificial fertilizers, we mulch, we leave our lawn at about 2 inches. (and we don't water the lawn except maybe once per year... like during the drought in August... and we do it at night so that there's less evaporation and less baking of the lawn.)

I catch just about every last drip that comes out of our faucet filter/don't pull my cup away until it's done dripping.

I catch rain water for watering the house plants.

Catch small plumbing leaks before they become large plumbing leaks.

Try to buy as many organic vegetables as possible (or crops that don't rely on so much water.)

Don't own a dishwasher. Rinse water goes right into refilling the wash water tub. We probably only use about three to five gallons of water washing dishes. (It seems to me that even though dishwashers are getting more efficient, that people that own them do a lot more dishes.)

Besides conserving, besides my shampoo all other things that we put into the waste water are usually natural. Our laundry, dish, and cleaning products are all natural. No toxic chemical cleaning supplies on my watch in this household!

-----

On a side note our county's drinking water was just rated the worst in the state. ...No surprise. It tastes horrible. We don't drink it when we eat out. I made a bad judgment call recently (it was either tap water or soda pop) and had a glass at my Grandmother's... I got sick later that day with digestive troubles. We also have very high levels of chlorine...it smells like a swimming pool coming out of the tap sometimes. At my house we also have VERY high levels of lead. They suggested running the lines for 10 minutes before each glass of water. ...No thanks... I'll stick to my filters and bottles (which I reuse over and over again.)
pawnee wrote:Do you turn off the taps when you brish your teeth? How about wash your car in the driveway? Maybe you enjoy taking bubble baths and reinacting a scene from Jaws.

and why should you care?

Because water is a vital resource and a right to every human being on the planet. Without life doesn't exist. Yet millions of people do not have access to clean water, or are forced to pay a ridicoulous price from private companies for safe,clean drinking water. Did you know that the water in your community is tested sevral times a day? Meanwhile bottled water (which is usually tap water) can be tested once a year!

What are sometips youve learned on how to save water? Do you practice them?

I also watched a really good show on PBS about water and how it affects people, whales, fish and the enviornment. I highly reccemend it though it was rather disturbing...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/poisonedwaters/

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:57 pm

I bath myself with cold water instead of living the water running until it gets warm.

I only take 5 minutes or less in every shower.

jellyblobsofdoom
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by jellyblobsofdoom » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:08 pm

I always turn off the tap when I brush my teeth to.
Eclipse
I hear them getting closer
Their howls are sending chills down my spine
And time is running out now,
They're coming down the hills from behind

Halloween Avatar (c) Jellyblobsofdoom

Hiedidog

Post by Hiedidog » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:19 pm

To save water I quickly wet the tooth brush and then turn it off. I take 2 minute showers, and we got rid of our pool. 8)

We have to be careful. My town is going to start water rationing in a few days.
♥Kamisha♥

October 2009 Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month

Rain_Swift-River
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Swift

Post by Rain_Swift-River » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:16 am

I always turn the tap off whilst brushing my teeth... I never have had it on... I just don;t see why ^^
We also had a massive water saving week... where we would make sure everything had buckets underneath...

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm pretty bad when it comes to saving water. x.x I've gotten in to the habit of brushing my teeth with the tap running, and I'm trying to break the habit. o.o

frog wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by frog wolf » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:48 pm

i drink alot of water and i trun the fout of when brushing
MOON
valley creek pack member
Beta
stay strong in the pack!
wolves rule

Purity

Post by Purity » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:09 pm

Whenever I have too much water in a cup, I usually water the plants or the lawn or my pets. I'm trying to stop the habit if pouring the rest in the sink.

Also trying to limit my amount of bottled water- it's much easier just to get it from the fridge, and it saves money/water as well. It also never occurs (or has occured) to me that I should leave the water on while brushing my teeth. One time, I left it on for a test, and brushed my teeth for about 1-3 minutes (average time people spend brushing teeth). Then I measured it; almost 2-5 gallons wasted for no reason. Then, of course, I gave our plants much-needed water =D

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:23 am

My family has a private well, but we still do all we can. Since my mom decides her teeth will be brushed better if she leaves the water on even AFTER she is done brushing I have been turning it off for her. :roll: We water the dogs and birds in shady places so the water won't evaporate as quickly. We almost never buy bottled water and just use our own with reusable bottles.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

-Larka-
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by -Larka- » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:48 am