Help Stop Gobal Warming

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Help Stop Gobal Warming

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:47 pm

Has anyone seen the documentary called 'The Age of S T U P I D "?

It's basically about Climate Change, and how we're shooting our selves in the foot. Committing suicide, if you will.

For example; There's Shell Gas. Instead of building infrastructure in Nigeria, Africa (where their oil wells are located) to heat the homes and give them the ability to make their water drinkable, they just burn the natural gas into the air. That's just...disgusting. Ugh.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:28 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:Has anyone seen the documentary called 'The Age of S T U P I D "?

It's basically about Climate Change, and how we're shooting our selves in the foot. Committing suicide, if you will.

For example; There's Shell Gas. Instead of building infrastructure in Nigeria, Africa (where their oil wells are located) to heat the homes and give them the ability to make their water drinkable, they just burn the natural gas into the air. That's just...disgusting. Ugh.
No, I haven't seen the movie but it does sound interesting. And that is quite disgusting. I've seen a lot of movies about how we are ruining our environment. I will definitely go find that movie though.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

jumpjump456

Post by jumpjump456 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:13 am

Global Warming is a scary thing. According to scientist the polar ice caps might only be around for another 20 year. Cites like Venice will be under water. Here are a few of my Ideas.

1. Gas prices should go up not good for us but good for the world forcing people to take public transport and forcing car companies to have more fuel efficient cars.

2. Walk to places that are less then 2 miles away, IT'S NOT THAT FAR!

3.don't buy beef products, more then 75% of corn fields are to feed cows who hurt the environment.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:38 pm

jumpjump456 wrote:Global Warming is a scary thing. According to scientist the polar ice caps might only be around for another 20 year. Cites like Venice will be under water. Here are a few of my Ideas.

1. Gas prices should go up not good for us but good for the world forcing people to take public transport and forcing car companies to have more fuel efficient cars.

2. Walk to places that are less then 2 miles away, IT'S NOT THAT FAR!

3.don't buy beef products, more then 75% of corn fields are to feed cows who hurt the environment.

Those are good ideas to help with the environment Jumpjump. ^^
Usually though, another good thing with transportation would be car-pooling. Using one care for multiple people if they are going in the same general area.
Each person can take a turn with it aswell.

Anyways, with Global Warming there are many theories going on. Some people say it's a heat wave, some say another ice age and then other say a heat wave THEN an ice age.
It's quite confusing, though it's hard to say which one is true since, of course, they are theories.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:42 pm

When I was in elementary school I walked there everyday, unfortunatley know that I'm going to Junior High, I have to take the bus. Shun me.

Anyways
SolitaryHowl wrote:Has anyone seen the documentary called 'The Age of S T U P I D "?

I'll have to see that SolitaryHowl, I guess theres another reason why I don't get gas from Shell.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:04 pm

No, I haven't heard of that before. Sorry Solitary, though, I could look it up.
It sounds very.... interesting (and odd).

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Actually, Shell Gas is the best kind of gas for your car...it's hard to explain without getting into all the technical details. And it's off-topic. But, basically Shell Gas leaves less residue in your engine...thereby increasing its life-span (making a new engine requires so much energy...it pollutes the environment a lot!) and, in addition, Shell Gas also contains no - minimal ethanol. Ethanol also pollutes the environment as well...

Okay, I went horribly off-topic. Sorry about that.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:46 am

No issue here Solitary. ^^"
Thanks for sharing that information though, it could be helpful.
Shell Gas sounds interesting, and it's environmentally friendly too. So, it would be a good idea to use as an idea to "help stop global warming" too by using it. Correct?

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:39 am

We cannot stop global warming or climate change, or whatever people choose to call it. It has been rolling along smoothly for over the past 100 years. There are only ways to make it slow down, but as for stopping it altogether, it seems highly unlikely.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:57 am

Mhm, I was merely quoting the topic's title though. =/
Slowing it down is the more likely chance I agree, since Global Warming has technically been in place for years. The pollution and other stuff in the climate just made the speed go faster, before hand it was still there... just slowly. (I could have swore I heard that somewhere, possibly a documentary)

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:07 am

Yeah. Toxins released from industrial chemicals and other pollution corrupts the ozone layer, eating it away, thinning it. Sea levels are rising. The sun will begin to burn too hotly. The weather is going to get all messed up. Ecosystems are flailing.

I believe that this whole issue with global warming/climate change will eventually lead us to one, gargantuan trouble. I'm not trying to be all gloom and doom, but... It's still a threatening and dreadful thought.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Zethra wrote:No issue here Solitary. ^^"
Thanks for sharing that information though, it could be helpful.
Shell Gas sounds interesting, and it's environmentally friendly too. So, it would be a good idea to use as an idea to "help stop global warming" too by using it. Correct?
As environmentally-friendly as gas can be, yes- but it's also more expensive. I find it's at least a few cents more per litre...but it's so much better for your car and for the environment.

In addition, cars that run on Diesel fuel don't contribute to Global Warming/Climate change...but they produce smog which is dangerous for our lungs.

And, I agree with Blight. We can't stop it completely - much too late for that - but we may still be able to slow it down.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for sharing that info on gas with us Solitary. I agree Blight, I think its much too late to completely stop everything in its tracks. I'm hoping that we can slow it down (as Solitary stated) and hopefully fix most of it over time, or find better solutions.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks for sharing the information Solitary, I agree. Diesel Fuel really isn't liked much by my family due to the fact that it's dangerous, as you said.
We can try our best to slow it down, and as I said earlier. I think it was around all along, the constant pollution just made it go faster. So, hopefully we can try to slow it down again, that's pretty much all we can do. But, atleast it's something.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:24 pm

I got the following information from a documentary called:

How to Boil a Frog

It is an excellent documentary and is simple and easy to understand.

But anywho...

There are 1.5 billion cows currently on the planet (approx 1 for every 4 people.). The cows, themselves, take up 1/3 of the planet's surface. And, one cow is responsible for 540 quarts of methane per day!

So- what to do? Stop eating beef, or at least drastically cut down your intake of it.

I heard venison tastes close to beef, so I'll have to check out my local butcher shop to find out.