Help Stop Gobal Warming

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

April

Re: Help Stop Gobal Warming

Post by April » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Just so you know, Global Warming is only a theory. It's not even proven true. The earth has patterns, meaning it constantly heats up and cools off throughout decades. People only started recording in the last 50 or so years, so they have no knowledge of how the world used to be.

I myself am not sure if I believe in Global Warming, I mean it makes sense. It's obvious part of the ozone layer in the Arctic has been eaten away by chemicals and harmful UV rays are coming through, but yeah...
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Well I do believe in global warming since the Atlantic ocean has rose about half an inch, but still that may not be much, but our beach..... in new jersey, is really kind small then it used to be, as the water rose up and with all the hurricanes, Tornados and other storms striking the earth has increased, flooding is another issue.
Solar Panel, what do people tend to do with that? dig it under ground to create a chemical substance? no.... houses near my area were built above where trash was dumped, creating a swampy neighborhood, talk about grossness.
as the dumps over flow people tend to trash their garbage else where, into the ocean, or somewhere that's not populated by people.
I done community service for 2 years now, cleaning up the beach, parks, local areas, finding out our local(s) litter in their own state. As temperatures rise in rivers and oceans, and when people go swimming be aware of the amoeba growling along the coral reefs, in different locations, just be aware of where you go, if you find trash, pick it up, it won't kill you, on a jet ski, or a boat and find a bottle floating around, take it out and throw it in a bucket or something. leaving one less polluted item stocking into the ocean, river, bay, etc.
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

little pup 2
Pup
Pup

Post by little pup 2 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Always use recycled things. Only use fossil fuels and such for a last resort. 8)
The Shallow Creek Pack Story
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=74777

95% of teens would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers at the top of a skyscraper about to jump. Copy and paste this if you are part of the 5% that would sit there with popcorn and a camera and yell "DO A FLIP!!!

tigersrulelionsdrool
Pup
Pup

Post by tigersrulelionsdrool » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:14 pm

April wrote:Just so you know, Global Warming is only a theory. It's not even proven true. The earth has patterns, meaning it constantly heats up and cools off throughout decades. People only started recording in the last 50 or so years, so they have no knowledge of how the world used to be.

I myself am not sure if I believe in Global Warming, I mean it makes sense. It's obvious part of the ozone layer in the Arctic has been eaten away by chemicals and harmful UV rays are coming through, but yeah...
You know science CANNOT prove ANYTHING. It can only provide evidence for a hypothesis/theory/law. :shock:
BEAGLES
TIGER
I do everything ANIMAL style

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:26 pm

I have no idea what you're even trying to say there.

Providing evidence is proving something. Its the definition of proof.
Proof
evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.

You just google "definition of proof" and its right there.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

laika_wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by laika_wolf » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:01 pm

I would like to address Seewah on the matter. First of all your speech was incredibly well-written and it's extremely important to question everything anyone tells you but, I have to say, I completely disagree. I'm researching climate change for a speech in front of the entire school as well (Coincidence, eh? :lol: ) and my research has lead me to a different conclusion.
We see this change in climate not just through temperature recordings but in the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. We can see carbon dioxide levels rising over hundreds of thousands of years by looking at ice cores from the poles. Here's a graph from NASA about carbon dioxide levels:
http://climate.nasa.gov/system/content_ ... 80x800.jpg Despite your claim, these ice cores actually do prove that humans are causing this increase in CO2. You can see on the graph that the CO2 levels spike right at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, when people began using fossil fuels and consuming, consuming, consuming.
So far I have learned in my research that these tiny shifts in temperature affect the world in so many huge ways. Our planet is very delicate. For example, the acidity in the ocean has increased by 30%, which bleaches coral reefs, which you brought up, and belugas may go extinct due to a lack of protection from ice to hide from orcas. Beaches in San Diego, California (I haven't researched other areas yet) will be tiny or completely gone. Climate change is going to impact us severely.
Many who disagree with climate change say that the Earth always moves through cycles of extreme hot and cold, which is true, but this rapid increase in temperature is not part of that cycle. It is far too dramatic of a change for it to be natural. The cycles of climate that people talk about occur over thousands of years, like the Medieval Warm Period and the Ice Age. This spike in temperature has occurred over the past 60-70 years, ever since the start of the Industrial Revolution. Seems like a bit too much of a coincidence.
I haven't watched An Inconvenient Truth, but I can discuss some of your talking points. Many of the inaccuracies you brought up were not supported by many facts or details but just claims that occurrences were caused by local conditions and the points were not expanded upon. These snow-meltings and droughts are all happening at the same time due to a global climate shift. You can't just write off evidence as "local conditions". Glaciers and snow caps are retreating and disappearing all over the globe. According to NASA, "Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa." You also brought up Hurricane Katrina, which you claimed wasn't caused by climate change. However, climate change is causing an increase in hurricanes and tropical storms, which leads me to your point of polar bears being killed by a storm. The film was technically correct; the polar bears were killed by melting ice. It just wasn't direct causation and the film failed to explain that. If the ice hadn't melted into small chunks, it would be physically impossible for a storm to throw the polar bears into the sea, causing them to drown, and climate change will cause more of these powerful storms to occur.
The first step to helping stop global warming is accepting that we have a problem and educating the public with the facts. The 2% of scientists who disagree with climate change and perpetuate this misinformation are sponsored by fossil fuel companies. Thank you to anyone who read through my lengthy piece.
:lol: I hope I didn't come off as rude because I do enjoy having these discussions and I completely respect your perspective on the matter.
Sources:
http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/
http://meteora.ucsd.edu/cap/pdffiles/Fo ... Report.pdf
http://environment.nationalgeographic.c ... w-effects/
http://www.harvard.edu/president/news/2 ... ate-change
http://www.teachoceanscience.net/teachi ... ral_reefs/
☄☽ "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -John Lennon ☾☄
avvie & sig by me

DHumphrey
Pup
Pup

Post by DHumphrey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:31 am

In this debate, I feel I must take laika_wolf's side. Now, now, don't label me as a troublemaker and all that. For those of you who don't know me (which is all of you), I am a very critical person. Everything I hear I research, looking at both sides, weighing the facts, true evidence, and false evidence, and after a prolonged research, with the help of other qualified professors and other learned persons, I have found that the theory of global warming is wholly and utterly false, having not a scrap of solid evidence to support it. Yes, many of you would give me "evidence" that supports it, but unfortunately, the only solid evidence I have found points to the fact that global warming does not exist. They (the people who started the theory and some of their supporters) have found that it is in fact false, and have started calling it "climate change", so that they could claim that they were only talking about the climate being changed, for cold or for warm, hereby covering their backs... mostly. In fact, the temperature of earth's atmosphere has cooled down since the seventeenth century, not warmer. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this theory is false and should be ignored. Rather say that the expansion of mankind into natural areas that used to house wolves is destroying the wolf, not global warming.
“Imitation is suicide.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Profile picture by Kyse (TheInfinite) (Humphrey from Alpha and Omega)
If I don't post in colour, it means I'm on mobile... just sayin'

laika_wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by laika_wolf » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:38 am

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I believe in global warming and I truly have no idea what you mean by the Earth cooling down because we have climate records going back to the 17th century and the average temperatures are increasing.
Here's a graph that goes back to the 1850s: http://www.climate4you.com/images/HadCR ... ce1850.gif
Climate change simply refers to the earth's new climate we would be facing (climate is different than temperature) if the earth's temp continued to increase. We would experience more frequent and intense tropical storms and hurricanes, more frequent t wildfires, and prolonged droughts.
Last edited by laika_wolf on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
avvie & sig by me

DHumphrey
Pup
Pup

Post by DHumphrey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:40 am

How stupid of me! (By misunderstanding your post. It was so long, I only read small bits of it) Anyways, what I said there was my view, so yea...
“Imitation is suicide.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

laika_wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by laika_wolf » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:47 am

I added a bit about what climate change really means just to explain that. :) It's also important to remember that, even if scientists did alter their theory, which they have not, their job is to learn and they are always researching new information which may lead to a new conclusion. So it's not that they would be lying to the public, they just didn't know either.
avvie & sig by me

DHumphrey
Pup
Pup

Post by DHumphrey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:15 am

Yes, you may be right.
“Imitation is suicide.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Sun May 10, 2015 4:51 am

Become more green, solar panels and wind farms etc not using fossil fuels and not cutting so many trees down. Try to recycle more.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

XxshadowmysteryxX
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by XxshadowmysteryxX » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:33 am

I think we should
*Walk or ride a bike as much as we can
*Don't use paper or plastic, but use cloth bags
*Turn off all the electricity when you leave, even for a short amount of time
*Use clothing lines

I do these as much as I can. And I once found a snapping turtle with his foot stuck in a soda ring thing. Even though I could get hurt I helped him lol. Once he was free he was pretty annoyed and angry, but his foot was saved even though it had a bit of a wound. Yes I did try to help clean and fix the wound as much as I could while my friend helped hold the turtle down and calm as it was a pretty strong turtle haha.
~We are strong enough to stand alone~
~We are confident enough to stand apart~
~We are wise enough to stand together~
~We ARE the Savage Shadows~
~ShadowHeart|Alpha Female~
~Forever n Always a Savage Shadow~
Proud member of The Pack of Savage Shadows, daring enough to be one with me?

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:46 am

laika_wolf wrote:I would like to address Seewah on the matter. First of all your speech was incredibly well-written and it's extremely important to question everything anyone tells you but, I have to say, I completely disagree. I'm researching climate change for a speech in front of the entire school as well (Coincidence, eh? :lol: ) and my research has lead me to a different conclusion.
We see this change in climate not just through temperature recordings but in the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. We can see carbon dioxide levels rising over hundreds of thousands of years by looking at ice cores from the poles. Here's a graph from NASA about carbon dioxide levels:
http://climate.nasa.gov/system/content_ ... 80x800.jpg Despite your claim, these ice cores actually do prove that humans are causing this increase in CO2. You can see on the graph that the CO2 levels spike right at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, when people began using fossil fuels and consuming, consuming, consuming.
So far I have learned in my research that these tiny shifts in temperature affect the world in so many huge ways. Our planet is very delicate. For example, the acidity in the ocean has increased by 30%, which bleaches coral reefs, which you brought up, and belugas may go extinct due to a lack of protection from ice to hide from orcas. Beaches in San Diego, California (I haven't researched other areas yet) will be tiny or completely gone. Climate change is going to impact us severely.
Many who disagree with climate change say that the Earth always moves through cycles of extreme hot and cold, which is true, but this rapid increase in temperature is not part of that cycle. It is far too dramatic of a change for it to be natural. The cycles of climate that people talk about occur over thousands of years, like the Medieval Warm Period and the Ice Age. This spike in temperature has occurred over the past 60-70 years, ever since the start of the Industrial Revolution. Seems like a bit too much of a coincidence.
I haven't watched An Inconvenient Truth, but I can discuss some of your talking points. Many of the inaccuracies you brought up were not supported by many facts or details but just claims that occurrences were caused by local conditions and the points were not expanded upon. These snow-meltings and droughts are all happening at the same time due to a global climate shift. You can't just write off evidence as "local conditions". Glaciers and snow caps are retreating and disappearing all over the globe. According to NASA, "Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa." You also brought up Hurricane Katrina, which you claimed wasn't caused by climate change. However, climate change is causing an increase in hurricanes and tropical storms, which leads me to your point of polar bears being killed by a storm. The film was technically correct; the polar bears were killed by melting ice. It just wasn't direct causation and the film failed to explain that. If the ice hadn't melted into small chunks, it would be physically impossible for a storm to throw the polar bears into the sea, causing them to drown, and climate change will cause more of these powerful storms to occur.
The first step to helping stop global warming is accepting that we have a problem and educating the public with the facts. The 2% of scientists who disagree with climate change and perpetuate this misinformation are sponsored by fossil fuel companies. Thank you to anyone who read through my lengthy piece.
:lol: I hope I didn't come off as rude because I do enjoy having these discussions and I completely respect your perspective on the matter.
Sources:
http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/
http://meteora.ucsd.edu/cap/pdffiles/Fo ... Report.pdf
http://environment.nationalgeographic.c ... w-effects/
http://www.harvard.edu/president/news/2 ... ate-change
http://www.teachoceanscience.net/teachi ... ral_reefs/
I couldn't have said this better myself! :D
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Honestly I don't think there's any way we CAN stop this climate change. Not without something drastic happening to earth like another mass extinction, which would alter this place again like with the dinosaurs. And cause it to happen again, probably either solving this problem or just making it worse. I honestly don't know how we can stop it, we can try helping the place, but I don't think that'll do anything pretty much, and people might not even care.
Taking your time when you can is key to a healthy lifestyle. You may have a set lifespan, but you don't have to rush yourself every second of it.