Help Stop Gobal Warming

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Help Stop Gobal Warming

Post by Serperior_123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:44 pm

If we managed to make Fusion power to make mini suns and whatnot, all of our energy problems and global warming and whatever would be solved, but the human race doesn't have the technology to do that yet.

YET!

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Post by PeltOfAsh » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:14 pm

Currently several countries and companies are working on thorium molten salt reactors which are 100x safer, 1000x as efficient, and produce 1/1000 of the waste as uranium reactors.

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Scientists are now genetically engineering yeast to grow diesel. Instead of using up the world's vital oil supply, they are hoping that these specially modified yeast will reduce the usage of the world's oil - if this works then it will give the Earth some time to refill its oil. (Obviously we will still need to use oil but with less usage they are hoping it will help).

⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Hmm, that might work. It might help with the climate change, but like I said, there's probably no way at all in existence that we can completely stop it though.
Taking your time when you can is key to a healthy lifestyle. You may have a set lifespan, but you don't have to rush yourself every second of it.

Arva
Pup
Pup

Post by Arva » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:15 am

*groan*
Nuclear energy is a taboo subject here in Germany. Everybody wants wind turbines, solar paneels, biogas plants. You get muzzled if you say "NPPs are super!".
What phrase did I learned? "Only dead fishes swim with the flow!". No central, efficient power plants, but only ugly white bird-choppers standing around in our forests, roofs pasted with dizzyingly blue paneels and smelly biogas plants on the fields! Off all the lowdown, it's clear as mud why Germany is behated!

*collapse*

Claes Rosen - Starlight (my favourite song)

You're Starlight
Name
Starlight, you glow bright
And I take y'as a tasty night
Name
Starlight, you are my name!

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:17 pm

I don't know where I stand on this topic anymore. According to my research on other people's research, the Earth heats and cools at long periods of time. And back in Ancient Rome, it was way hotter than today, and we are currently heating up from the last ice age. But, then some research says the earth is heating up faster than ever before, and Glaciers are melting faster, and it's because of human activity. Scientists don't have enough evidence to say global warming is because of humans.

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:16 pm

According to things I have come across, which I'm not 100% inclined to believe, the world has experienced some record cold temperatures this year. It has been said for over half a century that we're entering a new ice age. Perhaps the temperature boom of 2015 was just a fluke? There are many other reasons that the temperature of a planet can fluctuate.

However, it's hard to say. I'm honestly on the fence, unsure of what to believe. There are mixed opinions everywhere, and the media greatly influences our lives now. It's hard to pick out truth from lies, especially on such controversial matters, like this one. So I'm not sure what I believe, nor am I sure what side of the fence I'm on -- for now I'm happy to sit in the post.

Either way, I'm not opposed to being a greener planet. Reducing our use of finite materials could greatly help us in many ways, so could being greener.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Arva wrote:*groan*
Nuclear energy is a taboo subject here in Germany. Everybody wants wind turbines, solar paneels, biogas plants. You get muzzled if you say "NPPs are super!".
What phrase did I learned? "Only dead fishes swim with the flow!". No central, efficient power plants, but only ugly white bird-choppers standing around in our forests, roofs pasted with dizzyingly blue paneels and smelly biogas plants on the fields! Off all the lowdown, it's clear as mud why Germany is behated!

*collapse*
isn't nuclear energy the *cleanest* though? Its just not good if something goes wrong with the plant.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Post by Writers Block » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:45 pm

I do admit that the Earth naturally goes through periods of warming and cooling, etc. I do think that some research showing that global warming is a thing is a fake (my enviro sci teacher spent like two months talking about the hockey stick graph, but I found out last year that the scientist who made said graph fudged the results on purpose or something?) This comic sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well. Whether or not you believe global warming is real (I do, but that aside), there's nothing wrong with trying to become more sustainable. Fossil fuels are a limited resource and we won't have them forever. At some point, we'll HAVE to turn to something else. I think it's a good idea to get a head start on that, and to find healthier ways of obtaining energy while we're at it.

The truth is, we're destroying priceless habitat and causing numerous species of flora and fauna to go extinct due to pollution, logging, and other things. I hate to see us choking our planet like this and I really wish the United States was eager to do more. (I think other countries are more on the ball on this sort of thing? Which is good for them, but the States are SO BIG and have such a big impact on everything that if we get our act together it'll be a huge step forward). I don't know about other places, but the US certainly has a habit of scapegoating the issue: think about how often we're told not to keep the water running when we wash our hands, or to take shorter showers. While that's all well and good and every small bit does help, you have to think about the vast acres of land being used as golf courses all across the desert, that are waters with hundreds of gallons of water a day. Wouldn't limiting the amount of water those kinds of places use be a much more progressive step towards preserving water than telling a child they can't keep the water running while they scrub their hands for ten seconds?

I dunno, this came off a bit more heated than I was going for but I have a lot of feelings about this sort of thing.
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:00 pm

It is important to note that Global warming =/= climate change.

Global warming is a heavily contributing factor that causes the climate to change, but they are not one in the same. The following quote provides more info:
Global warming refers to the recent and ongoing rise in global average temperature near Earth's surface. It is caused mostly by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Global warming is causing climate patterns to change. However, global warming itself represents only one aspect of climate change.
Climate change refers to any significant change in the measures of climate lasting for an extended period of time. In other words, climate change includes major changes in temperature, precipitation, or wind patterns, among other effects, that occur over several decades or longer.
Source: https://www.epa.gov/climatechange/clima ... nformation
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011