birds and airplanes

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

fallenshadowolf
Pup
Pup

birds and airplanes

Post by fallenshadowolf » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 am

i go past the airport sometimes and i have notice men with guns around the perimeter and they soot bird that fly into the airport so they don't get into the airplane engines and i thought why, why not use something less harmful like tranquilizers. my father is a bird watcher and so am i and we have notice the birds of prey in the area are being killed off. though it may seem good for other smaller bird it really isn't , grow populations are causing food shortages are causing both birds and other species harm, illness, and death. now all that sounds rehearsed and by an adult but i am a14 year old seeing a big problem in the close future. you see less that 300 people have died from birds flying into engines that are non-military (the military fly low and hit more birds closer to the ground)
so please if you had the patience to read this tell me what you think.

shadow
I do commissions on Deviantart.

Find me at
http://mistywren.deviantart.com/

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Re: birds and airplanes

Post by pawnee » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:11 pm

I know what you mean, I have family that works at the airport(s) in Canada, and sometimes deer wonder about....luckily no one has hit a deer but the officers do carry guns. One bird friendly option more airports seem to be trying out is the use of falcons to scare away piegions and gulls. I know gulf courses wil have collies or dogs run around to scare off the geese. Maybe you should suggest these options to the airport staff in a letter or call for more information about the program. I would suggest you find a study about the use of falcons or dogs to make it more convincing.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

ChocolateRain
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ChocolateRain » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:32 pm

Wow, I knew birds flying into planes (or through the front windshields) could be extremely dangerous but I didn't know they go so far as to shoot them around the perimeter of an airport. I totally agree with Pawnee though, contact your airport and inform them of the use of falconry to scare away birds. Be sure to educate yourself too! Here's an article I found with some really good information on it:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 177630.DTL

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:56 pm

Also using tranquilizers is dangerous to the birds as well, falconry is the best optioon, though to be honest I am glad they are doing something, I rather not meet my end due to a goose deciding that a je engine was something to run into....
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

timber wolf4321
Pup
Pup

Post by timber wolf4321 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:31 am

I like airports and birds.I think they should just let birds fly free other than...BANG!
/\............./\
....0.......0...|
..................|
.....UUU.......|
-------------

Happy kitty cat!

Avvie made by awesome photographer that posted it on airliners net.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:13 am

I dont see any problem with it, if they didnt get rid of the birds then there could be serious acidents.
icon by Rottenrobbie

bslome
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: In my room with my notebook, special pen and Steve the Fern.

Post by bslome » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:18 am

I also agree with Pawnee. airports use falcons and dogs to scare off birds, but shooting one is not very nice! :evil:

also I agree that u should write a letter to your airport and suggest that they use other birds and dogs rather than guns! :shock:

good luck! :mrgreen:
In a mini depression at the mo'. =/

fallenshadowolf
Pup
Pup

Post by fallenshadowolf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:41 am

thanks all

Find me at

Aluriel
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Aluriel » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:29 pm

wow,this is interesting.How can the birds cause ,,serious accidents''? A plane is huge compared to their size,and lets say that if a bird flies straight up to the engine,it will become minced meat.I'm asking this because i'm watching air crash investigation on nat.geo and i never saw an accident that has been produced by birds
cookies recieved from:
wolfdog911: {::}
gingadog: {::}
Raimundo: {::}
Special cookie recieved from XxXTsukieXxX :D:{::}

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:31 pm

Aluriel wrote:wow,this is interesting.How can the birds cause ,,serious accidents''? A plane is huge compared to their size,and lets say that if a bird flies straight up to the engine,it will become minced meat.I'm asking this because i'm watching air crash investigation on nat.geo and i never saw an accident that has been produced by birds
if a plane hits a bird, it can damage the fuselage, damage the engine, bust out windows, etc.

it has caused many serious accidents and deaths in the past, and coniues to do so, though at a lesser rate.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:12 pm

A goose can down a large airliner if it gets sucked in the engine, this is nothing like bugs hitting your windshield. If a plane and bird hit there will be serious damage. Even little birds are dangerous.
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

WildFire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by WildFire » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:02 pm

I, along with most of us, agree with Pawnee's idea, but until then, they need to keep the birds out. If one really is sucked in a place where it shouldn't be, then it can destroy that part. The speed that an airplane travels and the bird being hit at a high speed makes the bird put on what seems like more weight when being hit which cause it to do a lot more damage than you believe could happen.

fallenshadowolf
Pup
Pup

Post by fallenshadowolf » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:22 am

hi again i have found out some more information.
so here it is.
one of the reasons they shoot the birds is that if they run into an engine it will get jammed but it wont fall there is more than one engine and the pilot would simply turn around and land but the engines themselves can cost up to 1/4 of a million dollars to replace.
now this is where it gets sad in 2001-2003 ,1300-1400 bird where shot and killed a year that's 3 or 4 birds a day.
now the deaths are under 1000 and only 300-400 where none militant (the military fly's low over swamps and nesting grounds and so on.) and these civilian deaths were all caused at high altitudes
which means the plane hit the birds not the birds hit the plane.(once a plane hit some canada geese and the birds went through the windshield.
the air ports claim the use falcons and dogs but sometimes they lie about it.
my father once saw a man shoot a wild pheasant that was not even in the air port but on the other side of the fence so he went to talk to him
my father said: what are you aloud to shoot
and the man answered: anything but whooping cranes
my dad later told me that he didn't belive the man even knew what a whooping crane looked like
but if you are feeling blue about all the shooting i have to say i was down there 3 days ago and i saw them use firecrackers to scare the birds away and my father said that there slowly was less birds being killed every year

thanks for all your feed back so far and i am hoping more people will join in the conversation oh and thanks for taking the time to read what i had to say

Find me at

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:10 am

but a bird hitting an engine can cause it to explode and such due to the velocity of the impact, and tat could bring a plane down. also, a birt hitting the windshield could break the windshield and injure the pilots, causing uncrontrolled flight and an inevitable crash.
icon by Rottenrobbie

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:14 pm

Blindseer wrote:but a bird hitting an engine can cause it to explode and such due to the velocity of the impact, and tat could bring a plane down. also, a birt hitting the windshield could break the windshield and injure the pilots, causing uncrontrolled flight and an inevitable crash.

I think it depends on how big of a bird goes threw the engine....my dad`s friend it a turkey vulture while flying once, it went threw the windsheild and knocked out the pilot.

atleast the airport is changing methods.....there are noise detterents for deer that you can place on your car. maybe they could strap something similiar to planes except it would be for birds.....
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain