Thoughts on new injury system?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Thoughts on new injury system?

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue May 17, 2022 2:38 pm

What are your thoughts on the new injury system?
I personally like it, but I think the frequency at which injuries occur is way too often. Injuries remain at a constant rate throughout the game, regardless of difficulty level, but I noticed major injuries happen way too much. I feel like every time I try to hunt anything my wolf will sustain a minor injury (which is fine, by itself), but the injury is randomized so I can't really prevent/avoid it. In turn, it will increase the chances for a major injury drastically.

Every player in MP I have encountered has sustained a major injury, and so far, I haven't had a single hunt that did not involve a minor injury! Even on easy, I had a minor injury the second I bit into my prey! If this injury system is supposed to be rare, then injuries should not be happening during every single hunt.
It's difficult to avoid aggravating both a major/minor injury when they last for days, and the player must hunt to keep themselves/pups fed. And let's be honest here, the vast majority of players will not keep their health above 70% on challenging or higher during a single hunt.

TL;DR I love the injury system but I think the probability needs to be tweaked. However, I am interested in seeing how this will affect the community's play style as a whole.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Sasseraph
Name: Sass

Re: Thoughts on new injury system?

Post by Sasseraph » Tue May 17, 2022 4:07 pm

I don't think I've gotten a major injury at all yet while playing seriously, though I've been hosting rather than playing as a client, so latency could play a factor. Most clients seem to get at least one each game, but even with low health I haven't at all had issue.

That said, the injury system is still new, so feedback is still appreciated on it. If you haven't already, it would be most helpful to submit a feedback F11 report in-game with these thoughts, and if possible, how many times you hunted what, your health, etc. Rowan has a sheets file that might be helpful for that sort of tracking (I believe you can access it from the video about the injuries public beta).

rowantobias
Name: Rowan

Post by rowantobias » Tue May 17, 2022 4:34 pm

generally, i find myself getting minor injuries fairly frequently, but after getting them i try to be more careful and wait for them to heal before going hunting again (unless desperate). i think that is the intended strategy - to be more careful about getting injured, and when injured, being careful to avoid more attacks.

i am curious on your playstyle - how do you generally approach injuries? do they factor into whether you hunt or not? what do you do when you are injured (minor and major)? etc. not that your experience is "wrong" or anything - i just wanna know in case there's something to be done with relation to how players view injuries.

and as sass said, i do have a spreadsheet if you'd like to make a copy and keep track on your own! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

note: time received/healed is counted by gametime - if you got the injury at :04, you put that down for received. if you heal at :30, write that in the healed section!
⍋°⍋ the night wore on. the forest remained as still as stone. ⍋°⍋
⚘⑇⚘⑇ ( they / he | discord mod ) ⑇⚘⑇⚘

AmandaMimic
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by AmandaMimic » Tue May 17, 2022 5:30 pm

I dislike it. I only enjoy accurate, but I too often get minor AND major injury on the same hunt, even when it's just a normal cow elk. If my mate helps, they probably get a injury too. They take too long to heal and I dislike having RNG penalties that can heck a game over if they happen when you needed to finish that hunt, or didn't do anything wrong.
Perhaps injuries could be rarer on tired or running prey, or if you get kicked off instead of letting go at a good spot, or on bites with bad damage-recoil ratio. A fantastic player can be punished by just RNG as it is now. Effects should have a cause.
I do notice one cause-effect, getting stomped on injures almost always for me- and some animals still turn before your animation finishes. this makes moose un-dodgable after a bite. I don't know if that's a bug or not since I can dodge other animals now but is really takes the fun out of a hunt when you get smacked because the controls won't let you move out of the way.

rowantobias
Name: Rowan

Post by rowantobias » Tue May 17, 2022 7:59 pm

AmandaMimic wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:30 pm
I dislike it. I only enjoy accurate, but I too often get minor AND major injury on the same hunt, even when it's just a normal cow elk. If my mate helps, they probably get a injury too. They take too long to heal and I dislike having RNG penalties that can heck a game over if they happen when you needed to finish that hunt, or didn't do anything wrong.
Perhaps injuries could be rarer on tired or running prey, or if you get kicked off instead of letting go at a good spot, or on bites with bad damage-recoil ratio. A fantastic player can be punished by just RNG as it is now. Effects should have a cause.
I do notice one cause-effect, getting stomped on injures almost always for me- and some animals still turn before your animation finishes. this makes moose un-dodgable after a bite. I don't know if that's a bug or not since I can dodge other animals now but is really takes the fun out of a hunt when you get smacked because the controls won't let you move out of the way.
that definitely sounds like a bug - you should send a detailed report about it!

that said, i can get what you mean. i think more logic for it would be nice!
⍋°⍋ the night wore on. the forest remained as still as stone. ⍋°⍋
⚘⑇⚘⑇ ( they / he | discord mod ) ⑇⚘⑇⚘

Sasseraph
Name: Sass

Post by Sasseraph » Tue May 17, 2022 8:58 pm

AmandaMimic wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:30 pm
I also personally play on accurate. Functionally, the things you listed are already in place, and wouldn't really benefit from further rules. If you or your prey have low stamina or health, you/they do less damage. If you get hit hard for a lot of damage, you are more likely to get an injury. Thus, by tiring out elk, picking weak targets, and making sure you're biting with decent stamina, you minimize your risk of injury.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Wed May 18, 2022 4:29 am

Confession: I dreaded it when it was first announced, sort of "ooh"-ed and "ahh"-ed when it was first teased, and through playtesting, I've slowly learned taught my wolves to live with it and endure through it. Personally, I'm enjoying the experience. Repeated playthroughs don't feel quite as repetitive with the added unpredictability of injuries, and I am happy to have more reason now to back off — or choose to risk penalties if I continue. It's nice having to weigh those options and evaluate what you're going to do for the sake of your pack's survival, even to your own/the mate's detriment.

I've been playing an Accurate Ironwolf a *lot* more lately and it has really opened my eyes to just how much more dangerous his life is now than it was before the system dropped. After dealing with a jaw injury going from minor to major... it is safe to say I will be taking more care to avoid jaw injuries on Accurate. :lol:

My gripes are very minor. I'd say it has about the right amount of balance going for it.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun May 29, 2022 6:56 am

I personally enjoy the injury system, especially on accurate ironwolf. It adds a new element of risk/reward and lessens the repetitiveness of future playthroughs
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”