"Re-roll"pup coats?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

"Re-roll"pup coats?

Post by -Wolfdog- » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:57 pm

Am I the only one who seems bothered by this? I have 2 pups who look like clones because they inherited the same coat.
My pups were born on December 30th, way before WolfQuest added in more black coats, and as a result many players (such as myself), ended up with "cloned puppies", which I find unrealistic (not to mention it can be difficult telling them apart initially).

Since puppies cannot change their coat, I'm stuck with littermates who look exactly alike. This is probably a pet peeve for players, especially pups born prior to the update.

My idea to resolve this issue would be to allow players to "re-roll" their chosen pups' coats? But it would only be if 2 or more puppies had the same pattern and they can only re-roll pelts in the same color family as their old one. So, for instance, pups who originally had genetically black coats would re-roll with another genetically black coat, this way it does not interfere with the genetic aspect of it.

A second way would be to make it impossible for duplicate coats to exist in the same litter as opposed to "decreasing the chances". However, this still wouldn't solve the issue for existing litters with duplicate patterns, but it sounds a lot simpler.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

SkyRiderMusic
Pup
Pup

Re: "Re-roll"pup coats?

Post by SkyRiderMusic » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:56 pm

I don't think it's unrealistic for two pups to look very similar, they come from the same parents and many pup colors are very similar brown in nature. It's more unrealistic for parents to be able to reset their offspring's appearances, not to mention an entire feature to add

Kitsuhime
Pup
Pup
Name: Asuna, Kitsu

Post by Kitsuhime » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:54 am

In the first versions of SC, you were able to reroll before choosing a den, basically you have made an early spring save, and get a new batch and color of pups as much as you liked, but the devs updated it because it was not realistic.. The same coat possibility is entirely random (though considering parents and their ancestors) like how the stats and genetics are also determined. So in conclusion, I don't think they'll bring that back..

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:04 am

SkyRiderMusic wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:56 pm
I don't think it's unrealistic for two pups to look very similar, they come from the same parents and many pup colors are very similar brown in nature. It's more unrealistic for parents to be able to reset their offspring's appearances, not to mention an entire feature to add

You're right, now that I think about it. Wolves in real life can be difficult to distinguish at first glance, especially if they don't have super distinctive patterns. It's similar to twins, since I'm a twin myself.
Amaretasu wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:54 am
In the first versions of SC, you were able to reroll before choosing a den, basically you have made an early spring save, and get a new batch and color of pups as much as you liked, but the devs updated it because it was not realistic.. The same coat possibility is entirely random (though considering parents and their ancestors) like how the stats and genetics are also determined. So in conclusion, I don't think they'll bring that back..
Yeah I agree, in the long run the coding hassle and how it would just end up being even more unrealistic..
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Kitsuhime
Pup
Pup
Name: Asuna, Kitsu

Post by Kitsuhime » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:20 am

Yep! If you need to re roll of some sort, you should make a new SC save, mark territory and choose a den all over again, although the process is long, it will prevent the unrealistic exploit of pup diceroll ^^ Good luck on your endeavor!

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”