Why are the forums so inactive?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: Why are the forums so inactive?

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:37 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:47 pm
Hey. So I've been a member of these forums for awhile - since 2008.

I've noticed most forums have been declining in popularity over the years, so it's not just WolfQuest. Considering WolfQuest's niche audience it is not surprising to see the forums struggling: and younger people are more drawn towards social media, discord, steam forums, etc anyways. There is much more engagement on WQ's Steam, simply because it is much more convenient for them. Why should they register on a forum, that isn't very active anyway, when they have other options?

I hate to be a debbie downer, but I think WolfQuest's forums will never be as popular as they once were. It's sad, and kinda depressing when you're 30+, but times change. We need to change with it. Is it even worth the time & resources to manage/operate? What about all the moderators? Can their time be better spent elsewhere?
I actually was thinking the same thing. The forums are pretty dead and obsolete. It would be great to somehow combine and integrate social media with the official WQ website. I believe the site deserves a major overhaul and redesign to something more up-to-date. Maybe, the older format can be archived somewhere. But what good is it to keep the forums operating if some forums haven't received a reply in MONTHS, or heck, years??
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:19 pm

I agree that forums overall are a dying breed, but there are modern success stories.

Examples include Newschoolers (skiing) and PinkBike (mountain biking). These sites have forums, but they aren't the only attraction on either site. Unfortunately WQ would not be able to follow these sport/hobby examples for many reasons.

I have also found that forums are still popular for super niche (eg., for a specific dog breed) or 'underground' topics where anonymous discussion may be desired.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:23 pm

I think the forum here is still necessary anyway. I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the way I connect with the community and check out development updates and stuff; I don't use social medias like twitter, and I have little interest in joining the discord or using that as my main way of keeping up with the game and community. The forum is also something that we've had for WolfQuest for so long; there's something special about it. It's a bummer that forums are not as active as back in the day, but I wouldn't say forums are dead or obsolete.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:22 pm

Windstrider wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:23 pm
I think the forum here is still necessary anyway. I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the way I connect with the community and check out development updates and stuff; I don't use social medias like twitter, and I have little interest in joining the discord or using that as my main way of keeping up with the game and community. The forum is also something that we've had for WolfQuest for so long; there's something special about it. It's a bummer that forums are not as active as back in the day, but I wouldn't say forums are dead or obsolete.
I agree, I don't think the forums are necessarily obsolete. Not to mention that the discord server and the Steam forums are both much more fast-paced and less active topics quickly get buried there, so these Community Forums definitely still serve a purpose. Even if they aren't the most popular mode of communication for players nowadays, they're still important.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:37 pm

I agree, I find it hard to "pop in" in the Discord with something new since it's a few thread-equivalents for all conversations. Smaller servers with less people have a forum-like feeling though.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”