(3.0) Where is your territory?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Where's your preferred territory (roughly)?

Center
42%
Northwest
27%
Northeast
24%
Southwest
7%
Southeast
No votes

Total votes: 45

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

(3.0) Where is your territory?

Post by duskypack » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Perhaps my favorite part of the new Slough Creek is the flexibility with your territory. I love that it can be wherever you want and that you can continue to modify it to fit your needs even after winter. I have a bad habit of taking forever to initially choose my territory hexes during the quest and then completely changing it again after the pups are born.

My first territory is in the northwestern part of the map, stretching from Mcbride Lake down to Little Butte and up west into the forests above Upland Meadows (the old location names are just for reference). It started more towards the center but stretched up toward the northwestern corner as time went on.

My second territory is in the southwestern part, stretching from the Bison Peak area, westward to Canyon Cliffs (I've always loved the area and I'm thrilled to have a den there) and northward up to Saddle Meadows. I'm currently modifying it to stretch a little higher north to fully incorporate the Saddle Meadows area.

I've found that I prefer the southern woodlands to the northern woodlands, even if it does have less creeks and ponds. The aspen groves are lovely.

What about you? Where's your territory, and do you prefer a specific region of the map? Do you choose a territory primarily based on aesthetics or on convenience?
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: (3.0) Where is your territory?

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:04 am

Will link to a screenshot for a better description, however my southernmost territory almost touches Little Butte while my northernmost is on McBride river. It’s a relatively tiny territory in comparison to the other wolves but it gets the job done! My territory is kind of in the center of the map.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:03 pm

Initially center-west at the "Saddle Meadows"-ish site, but I've since decided to establish territory in the northeast region after discovering the location of the den in the trailer. 8)
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:12 pm

Neamara wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:03 pm
Initially center-west at the "Saddle Meadows"-ish site, but I've since decided to establish territory in the northeast region after discovering the location of the den in the trailer. 8)

I think I'm still intimidated by the eastern part of the map – I haven't even looked around there yet! By the looks of it, it seems that most people are staying around the general area of the original map. I guess old habits die hard.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

SamueWolfSword
Pup
Pup
Name: Samue

Post by SamueWolfSword » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:44 am

So far I`ve mostly stuck around the area of the original map and claimed that as my territory. I found a really cool rock den there, at Aspen Heights, that reminds me of a castle and overlooks the original map. Problem is, the area of the original map gets pretty flooded in the spring and swimming can be annoying, especially when prey escape to the water. However, I can just hunt to the north or east until the water level gets low enough.
I named my first den Bison Creek because it was in the area of the original game`s Bison Peak and East Creek dens
Ooo- Signature!
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
:butterfly:
This is hard for me to read.

ShadeLurking
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ShadeLurking » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:21 pm

Not sure how to describe it but i took the very centre of the map including ridges where the elk hang out and the meadow for baby season.
Though i was fighting the keep some corners and had to reclaim 2 spots i managed to keep it all and keep all my pups alive.

https://i.imgur.com/22reyS0.png

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:41 am

duskypack wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:12 pm
Neamara wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:03 pm

I think I'm still intimidated by the eastern part of the map – I haven't even looked around there yet! By the looks of it, it seems that most people are staying around the general area of the original map. I guess old habits die hard.

My memory of it is a little fuzzy at the moment, but I think I picked the Saddle Meadows den and really liked that area in the older versions, or else it was the Bison Peak one. Those two names ring a bell, and the screenshots I just looked up seem familiar. I know I've picked at least one of those somewhat recently in 2.7. I'm curious to see what I end up preferring in 3.0 - I have 3.0 but haven't played Slough Creek yet.

Edit: Huh, I didn't type my post in color but it looks like it copied the color of what I quoted?
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:44 am

On my current playthrough, I initially established my territory as a sort of hex-pyramid shape around the center of the map, extending down a little bit into First Meadow and into Second Meadow bit, and going from a section of the river all the way up past McBride Lake and all the way up to Wanderer's Point. My territory has shifted a lot since then, but the basic idea stayed the same. I think this might be the easiest strategy to claim a lot of territory and be able to maintain it easily, because the shape allows you to pick a den near the center and have a good 2-3 hex buffer around it on almost all the time, and those hexes are easier to get to and defend that way. Of course, if you have to move to a more den that is further in a certain direction, which I had to do, you'll probably want to claim some more hexes in that area of the map and adjust your territory shape. But generally, I think it's a good idea to have your territory be centered on your den, so that you can access any part of your territory easily. That's easier to do if you establish your territory near the center of the map.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:19 am

DinoDogDude209 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:44 am
On my current playthrough, I initially established my territory as a sort of hex-pyramid shape around the center of the map, extending down a little bit into First Meadow and into Second Meadow bit, and going from a section of the river all the way up past McBride Lake and all the way up to Wanderer's Point. My territory has shifted a lot since then, but the basic idea stayed the same. I think this might be the easiest strategy to claim a lot of territory and be able to maintain it easily, because the shape allows you to pick a den near the center and have a good 2-3 hex buffer around it on almost all the time, and those hexes are easier to get to and defend that way. Of course, if you have to move to a more den that is further in a certain direction, which I had to do, you'll probably want to claim some more hexes in that area of the map and adjust your territory shape. But generally, I think it's a good idea to have your territory be centered on your den, so that you can access any part of your territory easily. That's easier to do if you establish your territory near the center of the map.
I like the idea of the den being in the center and with a nice buffer around it, I gotta try that when I play again!
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 am

I've claimed a lot of territory since then (almost 30 hexes now) and my den is also in the center of my territory. I note suspicious activity if a hex rapidly declines or if several hexes decline (indicating a pathway a stranger wolf carved out). I check up on those areas and 9/10 times I almost always find stranger wolves in that area. This only happens in the southern part of my territory though, in the north there's only 1 other pack.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

alleykat3000
Pup
Pup

Post by alleykat3000 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:15 pm

It mainly depends. How I sort out claiming territory is by creating stories and what areas my wolves like the most. Sometimes I settle for a more Northeastern territory, and then other times, I just settle in the center.
"You survived what you thought would kill you.
Now straighten your crown and move forward like the queen you are."

Kitsuhime
Pup
Pup
Name: Asuna, Kitsu

Post by Kitsuhime » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:50 am

I often settle in the center or the Northeast, mainly North though and my territory is often over 30 hexes, falls to 20 hexes when I'm in rendezvous. More prey up north, and I don't really want to deal with the flood ^^
In my first game I settled right in South, it was kind of bow but manageable, survived with 7 pups there

wildejagdx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Erik

Post by wildejagdx » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:11 am

Most of the time I establish my territory around McBride and my pack is also named after it.
The McBride area is close to the spawnpoint in Slough Creek, so I can spend my wolf's energy on marking the territory mainly, rather than running to the other side of the map. Losing most of my energy to get far away from the spawnpoint is my main problem: I won't be able to claim as much of the free space as I want and the other packs will be right in my butt the next day.
It's getting a little boring now though, so I should step out of my comfort zone and explore a bit more of the map. :wink:

SkyRiderMusic
Pup
Pup

Post by SkyRiderMusic » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 am

It depends on the wolf. I have 2 main wolves, and one of them is more water-loving and likes beavers and has a wide territory in the center-south part of the map, and the other is my more territorial wandering wolf, way up north away from the floods who is basically just hoarding half the map's elk herds within a 30 hex territory. Even if it's tougher to maintain, I like having a large territory since it feels like you have space to roam, with enough area to feel like you own a good chunk of the map

In terms of favorite territory spots, I like the area around gravel fan and the area just west of it with the little beaver pond. I also like the far far north and south, since there are good views of the landscape and decent access to summer herds

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:21 pm

Here is a picture of my territory! It's roughly in the center of the map. It hasn't changed much, and I think the size is quite manageable. My rendezvous site is located a stone's throw away from McBride Creek.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”