Playing "Realistic"

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

wildejagdx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Erik

Playing "Realistic"

Post by wildejagdx » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 am

I'll just call it "realistic" gameplay for now, since I can't really find a better word to describe it..

So I've been playing WQ 2.7 and now AE like this as well. Basically, if one of my wolves die then I don't start again from the last autosave but delete them entirely like they actually died. I also don't run around at full speed on the maps, I rather trot and enjoy my wolf's life, explore and examine everything closely. I usually expand the courtship trials 1-2 times too and - of course - have mate permadeath turned on. Playing like this, I can spend up to 3 hours at just Amethyst Mounatin lol :wolf:
Since we can grow our pups in AE, it's a bit easier now. However, in 2.7 I had to design all my pups one by one on my own and then continue the pack's life and story without an actual background. But in AE we have family trees now, which adds so much more to it!

Well, that's it I guess. Anybody else plays the game similar to me out there?

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: Playing "Realistic"

Post by -Wolfdog- » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:47 am

I've attempted to play as realistic as possible. However, I love my wolves so I'd hate to see them go. Pretty sure WQ is making an "IronWolf" mode. It's exactly as you're describing it. If your wolf dies, everything is lost. I agree that it's silly your wolf runs around all the time, because wolves in the real world are less speedier and take their time.
However, in 2.7 I had to design all my pups one by one on my own and then continue the pack's life and story without an actual background. But in AE we have family trees now, which adds so much more to it!
I don't really understand this part. We can't design our pups in 2.7 nor do we have family trees in AE :?: unless if you mean watching your pups grow up and creating backstories for them.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

wildejagdx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wildejagdx » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:06 am

GoldenBeauty wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:47 am
I don't really understand this part. We can't design our pups in 2.7 nor do we have family trees in AE :?: unless if you mean watching your pups grow up and creating backstories for them.
We do have family trees in AE, you can see it in the "My Wolves" menu.
Once your pups reach 20 lbs you can go to the same menu, turn them into an adult and play as them. You can't change anything but their names I believe, so their design and presonality is already decided, based on the breeding pair's genetics. If you check their family tree, it's going to show the parents and siblings as well.

And what I meant as "design the pups" in 2.7 was create them as adults, since there we didn't have this grow them up option.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:09 pm

Oh my goodness I had no idea. I'm not the best at keeping up with WQ updates.. I'm super excited now. :roll:
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:04 pm

Hmm, the trotting idea sounds pretty neat. If I wasn't panicking trying to feed and claim territory at the same time, I'd probably give that a go but at the moment I need all the speed I can get :D . I've been thinking of doing a realism challenge where I keep nametags off and use the map as little as possible, because wolves wouldn't have either of those in the real world. I was planning on doing that challenge for my second litter but haven't even made it that far yet, whoops. It would be pretty difficult to mark all the hexes without seeing a map and it would be really hard to see the pups, but I guess that's part of the fun of it!

AStrangerOnline
Pup
Pup
Name: Mochi

Post by AStrangerOnline » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:06 pm

Ecliptic wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:04 pm
Hmm, the trotting idea sounds pretty neat. If I wasn't panicking trying to feed and claim territory at the same time, I'd probably give that a go but at the moment I need all the speed I can get :D . I've been thinking of doing a realism challenge where I keep nametags off and use the map as little as possible, because wolves wouldn't have either of those in the real world. I was planning on doing that challenge for my second litter but haven't even made it that far yet, whoops. It would be pretty difficult to mark all the hexes without seeing a map and it would be really hard to see the pups, but I guess that's part of the fun of it!
That sounds really fun, and hard! I'd be curious to see how pup-rearing in that style would go on accurate.

I may give the realism challenge a go sometime, though, like Ecliptic, my wolf tends to need to zoom everywhere :lol:

mistwolf3350
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Hope

Post by mistwolf3350 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:10 pm

I haven't played realistic in story mode but I do in online! I'm in a group that focuses primarily on realistic gameplay, meaning no chats and we rely on realistic body language and vocal cues. Additionally, there's strict rules for how we use our wolves to interact with one another. Each play session progresses the affinity between pack members, and former play sessions are logged as canon history. Also, similar to how you play, once a wolf dies, they die forever, and the pack dynamic changes to accommodate that.
Blood hardly defines one's character. We are made by our actions, not our blood.
-Soren, Guardians of Ga'hoole

========================
:wolf: Wolves of the Beyond
:owl: Guardians of Ga'hoole

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:54 am

mistwolf3350 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:10 pm
I haven't played realistic in story mode but I do in online! I'm in a group that focuses primarily on realistic gameplay, meaning no chats and we rely on realistic body language and vocal cues. Additionally, there's strict rules for how we use our wolves to interact with one another. Each play session progresses the affinity between pack members, and former play sessions are logged as canon history. Also, similar to how you play, once a wolf dies, they die forever, and the pack dynamic changes to accommodate that.
That sounds really cool. So much in fact, I'd be interested in joining. My in-game username is @Boldhowl
The more the merrier, right!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:01 pm

wildejagdx wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:06 am
You can't change anything but their names I believe, so their design and presonality is already decided, based on the breeding pair's genetics. If you check their family tree, it's going to show the parents and siblings as well.
Not entirely true.

While you cannot change the pup's personality, stats, coat or eye properties, you can personalize them with the ear and body modifiers as well as give them the radio collar, if you so wish.
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

wildejagdx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wildejagdx » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:06 am

Wow guys, it's been a while since I logged on here and checked the forums. :oops: And since I've posted this back in the beginning of the year, we've got the Ironwolf update, so cool! :wolf:

What do you guys think about this feature? Is there something you're still missing from it? I haven't touched the game either in months, so I still need to experience the new things that have been implemented lately.

SkyRiderMusic
Pup
Pup

Post by SkyRiderMusic » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:31 am

I think ironwolf is a really nice challenge, especially on accurate mode! I like occassionally doing hardcore type things in games and ironwolf mode is a really cool way to make your wolf feel like it's only got one shot. It's super rewarding to get your ironwolf all the way to elder too, though it can be sombering and sad.

wildejagdx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wildejagdx » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:02 am

SkyRiderMusic wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:31 am
I think ironwolf is a really nice challenge, especially on accurate mode! I like occassionally doing hardcore type things in games and ironwolf mode is a really cool way to make your wolf feel like it's only got one shot. It's super rewarding to get your ironwolf all the way to elder too, though it can be sombering and sad.
I agree! I set all my wolves to Ironwolf now.

But as for the difficulty, I mainly play on Challenging though. I've tried experiencing with Accurate several times but all those wolves died so far :| Is it just me or does anyone else experience a huge gap between Challenging and Accurate too? Challenging just feels too easy (to me at least), however, I can't keep my wolves alive on Accurate mode.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:16 am

From my experience I play better on Accurate when my wolf isn't an iron wolf and play worse on Accurate when my wolf can die. It's weird. I think it has something to do with me taking more risks when my wolf can't die, on iron wolf mode my wolf has almost starved and nearly died several times because my wolf retreats and tries to find new prey (which is a bad idea if you have like 20% health).
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

SkyRiderMusic
Pup
Pup

Post by SkyRiderMusic » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:56 pm

I like accurate mode, the stakes are a lot higher and it presents its own unique challenges. I find it actually a little harder to complete games on challenging in some regards (even though you're less likely to die, hunting beavers on challenging can be harder, and since the damage dealt is lower, I feel like I'm less strategic about hunting and it feels a little less entertaining)

It can take a little bit of practice to get used to accurate though! My first accurate game, it took me all the way to deep winter to finish the 2 elk quest

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”