Will we be able to kills bears and cougars in WolfQuest 3?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Will we be able to kills bears and cougars in WolfQuest 3?

Post by Lebron BMT » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:58 am

I would like the ability to kill bears and cougars in the new game especially since they can kill us. Obviously it would be a huge challenge and perhaps require many wolves, but I always find it very corny when bears/cougars run away from you at cartoonish speeds when they've had enough of you in the current game. What do you all think?

xc92u3

Re: Will we be able to kills bears and cougars in WolfQuest

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:01 pm

I've killed many cougars, but no grizzly bears. I think this is a good idea for bears because the can kill you with ease. Grizzly bears disappear after you "chase them off" after a while.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:27 pm

doubtful. its not a natural wolf behavior to fight a cougar or bear. both are far stronger than a wolf.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:21 am

I'm also wondering if it will be possible to kill and be killed by stranger wolves. It always breaks immersion when they just run away from you at a ridiculous speed after the 'social arena' is over. It's very cartoonish and not very realistic.

Mayahara
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Maya

Post by Mayahara » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:58 am

I think bears and cougars are way more of a challenge for a single wolf to take on, it wouldn’t happen so often in the wild.
Maybe it simply isn’t worth the risk? I think these predators should be more stronger in the new version, if it’s going to be more realistic. So the player would have the same thought: “this isn’t worth getting hurt or even killed.”
Lebron BMT wrote:I'm also wondering if it will be possible to kill and be killed by stranger wolves. It always breaks immersion when they just run away from you at a ridiculous speed after the 'social arena' is over. It's very cartoonish and not very realistic.
Also, Isn’t it already possible to kill and be killed by stranger wolves?

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:57 am

You can get killed by stranger wolves already.
In the wild, wolves work to keep themselves alive. In fact, all animals do. Most of the time wolf fights do not end in either wolf getting killed—one (or both) will run off before that. This is because neither want to get hurt to the point where survival isn’t possible anymore.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:30 pm

alethe wrote:You can get killed by stranger wolves already.
Mayahara wrote:Also, Isn’t it already possible to kill and be killed by stranger wolves?
Yes we can be killed by stranger wolves currently, but I guess I envision Wolfquest 3 to be different since other wolves will actually wander throughtout the game and I don't know if the 'social arena' will return in Wolfquest 3 for those encounters, or whether encountering stranger wolves would be like encountering other animals in the game currently (i.e. no social arena).

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Not only can you get killed by stranger wolves in the current game, but it is possible in rare circumstances to kill a stranger wolf. I doubt we'll be able to kill bears in the new game, but considering that we can kill cougars currently, I assume that we'll still be able to do so.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:07 am

I think I killed a stranger wolf once in the social arena in 2.7. I was just playing about when I first started, and kept selecting the sentence that made my wolf attack the other, just to see if it was possible. I had to heal my wolf a bit afterwards, but it does seem pretty easy when you encounter them in Amethyst Mountain. I can imagine it's pretty difficult when defending pups though, and to be honest, I'm usually more concerned about getting back to the den to chase off more predators.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:07 am

You can kill cougars in Wolfquest currently and wolves will attack and kill cougars. Wolves and bears don't generally kill each other but bears will kill wolf pups and if a bear gets to close to a den the wolves will attack the bear but don't usually kill it but if it is a female with cubs then the wolves will sometimes kill the cubs.
Life is full of death
It is the way of life
Predator and prey
I bring life and I take it
That is the way of nature

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:39 am

Wolves have been documented to kill both grizzly bears and cougars. As LamarWolf stated, wolves are more likely to target bear cubs than an adult bear, but they do not normally prey on bears. These interactions can become deadly if bear cubs are accompanying a parent by a kill which wolves are or become interested in. Wolves have attacked and killed adult cougars and cubs in Yellowstone. (It's an old webpage, but Ralph Maughan now leads The Wildlife News, so I think he's credible.)

Please also see my post on conflict between polar bears and wolves here for additional context.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”