Tips for Thwarting Cougars? :p

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Zebbaby
Pup
Pup
Name: Zebbaby, Zeb, or Zeb

Tips for Thwarting Cougars? :p

Post by Zebbaby » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:50 am

If this goes in Tips, Hints and Help, then I apologize in advance <3)

So I've been noticing that cougars are kind of fast.. and kind of strong! Anyone willing to share their tips and/or techniques' for chasing them away? Feel free to include other fast predators such as foxes ^.^ :o
"Crazy,is the bravery and willingness to let one's creativeness, liveliness, and bravery bleed through without being afraid to face the consequences..

Insanity, is what happens to those who are too scared, and let the craziness run around inside them like the Tasmanian devil"

Siaka
Pup
Pup

Re: Tips for Thwarting Cougars? :p

Post by Siaka » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:27 am

Actually, I've learned that you shouldn't really go running after cougars x3 It just wastes your energy.

But in SC, when a cougar's targeting your pups... that's a different story. Cougars who are targeting one of your pups don't run unless you bite them three times (or more, I haven't counted ^^'). They just walk up to your pup and then they try to eat it.
.:HEAR MY CALL:.
One wolf
One quest
One fate

Xela Winchester
Pup
Pup
Name: Nova

Post by Xela Winchester » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:07 pm

I found that it's easiest to run up behind a cougar while it's feeding on a carcass/walking, bite its backside, and then back off until it turns around again.
Lather, rinse, and repeat until you send that kitty running for the hills. ;)
Plus, if you stay behind it, the cougar won't be able to claw you!
DawnWolfRising wrote:

But in SC, when a cougar's targeting your pups... that's a different story. Cougars who are targeting one of your pups don't run unless you bite them three times (or more, I haven't counted ^^'). They just walk up to your pup and then they try to eat it.
This. Except for some reason when I play, even if the cougar has targeted a pup, it still runs when approached.
And of course then it takes forever for me to complete the Defend Your Pups mission because the cat doesn't stop darting away when I get close. x_x

But yes, bite it a few times and it'll leave your pups alone. (If you can, try to get behind it and bite so that you don't get hurt!)
"Are you chasing something, or running away?"
-The Outsider, Dishonored

TacticianLyra
Pup
Pup

Post by TacticianLyra » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Xela Winchester wrote:
DawnWolfRising wrote:

This. Except for some reason when I play, even if the cougar has targeted a pup, it still runs when approached.
And of course then it takes forever for me to complete the Defend Your Pups mission because the cat doesn't stop darting away when I get close. x_x

But yes, bite it a few times and it'll leave your pups alone. (If you can, try to get behind it and bite so that you don't get hurt!)
I completely agree with both of those; I had to chase off a cougar and it took forever because it just kept running away. Personally I think their speed needs to get nerfed a little. >_>;

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am

If I'm trying to chase a predator off a carcass, I also try to get in and bite them while the predator has their back to me. Then I run back a few paces and try again. This tends to be more effective with bears than cougars since the bears are slower to turn around. Keep an eye on your health, and try to avoid facing the cougar. If you do successfully chase a bear or cougar away you get 300 experience points (the equivalent of 3 cow elk kills) so it is rewarding.

If a cougar isn't near the den or defending a carcass, I let him or her be. Going after a walking cougar is risky. They will run for a short distance, then turn around and claw you. They will also retaliate until they are chased away.

Like others have said, it takes three bites to drive off one that is targeting a pup. From then on that specific cougar will pose no further threat to you. It helps if you have a wolf with high speed and stamina if you want to chase after one. I don't recommend actually trying to kill one unless you're trying to get the achievement - they're fast. They won't retaliate or go after your pups once the game tells you the cougar has been chased away.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

CapriciousCeilican
Pup
Pup

Post by CapriciousCeilican » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 am

I've had that issue with cougars running during the defending mission too. Glad I'm not the only one. But as for catching them to kill them(which can be done, you get either 300 or 350 exp for doing it), you're going to need a wolf with a speed of 80 or higher. Running them into bushes works well because they will turn and allow you to catch up because you will have the distance advantage. As for foxes and catching them, they will always be faster than you. You have to wait for them to stop and listen at the ground, then turn and face them from the front. When they pounce, run forward and bite. Repeat until it's at about half health and you should be able to catch it(unless your wolf is really slow).

2wolf22
Pup
Pup

Post by 2wolf22 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:49 pm

I'd say chase them towards the water at a den like East Creek. If they are near your pups, I think prepare for an attack from it and fight it head on. :pawprint: Or you can have the rare chance of catching its turns.

ArgentsArrows
Pup
Pup
Name: Birdie/Goose

Post by ArgentsArrows » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:06 am

Bite three times and it should take off. But cougars do tend to glitch the game so nothing else spawns ( I know this happens sometimes in my multiplayer servers ) so sometimes you do have to run after it and kill it.
the curves of your lips rewrite history

44wolfquest
Pup
Pup

Post by 44wolfquest » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Just as 2wolf22 said, if you are at East Creek, it may be easy to chase it to the water and bite it as it turns away. If the cougar is targeting the pups, stand in its path as it tries to attack the pups. It will stand its ground and you can bite it from the front. You will probably get hit, but if you can swiftly run to the side, you can dodge. You may be able to bite it from the side, where you can avoid getting attacked. At first, I would try to catch the cougar's turns, but that will most like likely fail! Also to kill a cougar, you don't actually need a wolf with speed. Simply chase it towards the water and bite it as it turns away, or chase it to a moose or elk that can kick it! In Lost River, the cougar may run into a building or onto rough terrain. This is a way to get the cougar stuck! Good luck! :pawprint:
(`*°•._(`°•._*+*_.•°`)_.•°*`)
For the strength of a pack
Is the wolf,
°•.• WolfQuest •.•°
But the strength of the wolf
Is the pack
(·(·(·(·•·)·)·)·)

Signature by Black Burn

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Chase a cougar or fox or elk up a steep cliff like the ones beside Lamar overlook, in the right spot they should stop completely becouse they can't climb it, but watch out the Cougars will turn around if you haven't chased them away yet. If you encounter a cougar
At a carcass make sure you have enough health, then run as quickly as possible towards the Cougars side or hind, NOTE: never, I repeat, never charge a cougar or Bear or moose
From the front unless you want to die. Don't run away from the cougar unless
It has turned around and is attacking you. See if the cougar will spin with you circling it
And spinning also, kind of like when you run up to a bear from behind the bear will spin you around with it. When chasing a cougar away from your den head towards the map wall or the creek, I hope I made all this clear and was helpful
. . «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» . .
. ⌐∙ . ∙•°F8°•∙ . ∙¬ .
So take the best parts of me
Locked away without the keys . .. . ════ =
= ════. .. .And know that I'm forever by your side
= «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» =
avatar=Lupe/signature=TimberRaven

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:40 pm

I chase cougars toward water (not very good for AM or LR if you're far from water) and in AM I chase the foxes into Fossil Forest then I turn around, and I head up the hills. When the fox reaches a place too steep for it to run up, it'll just stand still and I can kill it with ease. :fox: :wink:
I just can't... get... cougars!

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”