Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Thedragoni1
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Ideas for Future Updates

Post by Thedragoni1 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:45 pm

An idea i had that i think would be pretty cool:
-A chance of a wolf being born with a genetic dimorphism (ex. albino/melanistic wolf)

rowantobias
Name: Rowan

Post by rowantobias » Wed May 04, 2022 2:46 pm

Thedragoni1 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:45 pm
An idea i had that i think would be pretty cool:
-A chance of a wolf being born with a genetic dimorphism (ex. albino/melanistic wolf)
unfortunately, this is unlikely to be added, as partially discussed here:
loboLoco wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:01 pm
So despite some requests, WolfQuest wolves will NOT have:
• Blue eyes for adult wolves. Pups have gray-blue eyes that turn to gold-brown in the summer.
• Red eyes which would be caused by albinism because there has never been a reported case of a true albino wolf.
• Heterochromia (two different eye colors) because that condition does not occur in gray wolves.
the quoted post was specifically for eyes, but does state that, due to the lack of real-life albinistic wolves, they will not be adding things related to that.
⍋°⍋ the night wore on. the forest remained as still as stone. ⍋°⍋
⚘⑇⚘⑇ ( they / he | discord mod ) ⑇⚘⑇⚘

OliveYips
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by OliveYips » Wed May 11, 2022 6:34 pm

I have a few ideas. As the dev has mentioned, they will only accept possible, realistic ideas, in a Yellowstone setting. I will try to make these ideas as realistic as possible. :wolf:

Since the devs have decided not to add stranger wolf dens, I thought that they could add coyote pups and fox kits. Some AE players may be able to relate with me, as it would be nice to observe how other, non-wolf canids take care of their pups and kits. Also, as your pups are the only pups in the Slough Creek, it adds a sort of...emptiness. Of course, you should be able to attack the pups and kits. Since coyotes and foxes may not pose a big threat to the wolf, a challenge may be to dig the pups out of a deeper den. This would make digging a more significant feature in the game, as it is a thing that wild wolves regularly do. Maybe adding a feature where you can pick up the pups would add more cuteness to the game, though it is unlikely that a wolf would adopt a coyote pup or fox kit. But I will keep my fingers crossed! I don't see why adding coyote pups and fox kits is significantly different than adding bear cubs, which are a feature in the game. I hope you are also keeping cougar cubs an open option. :fox:

Being able to disperse with a sibling in Amethyst Mountain. As you see, dispersals are capable of traveling with their siblings. I have some extremely close wolves, and I would love for them to be able to disperse together. On the topic of the sibling staying or leaving after your player wolf finds a mate, maybe that depends on affinity??? They could join your pack to help out if the affinity is high when you find a mate. Also, maybe your sibling could be the breeding male or female of the pack and you could help out. That sounds unlikely as the game is about starting a pack, but it would be an interesting twist. :pawprint:

When the Saga comes out, I would appreciate it if you could add a feature where if your Ironwolf or Elderwolf dies, and there are adult offspring in your pack, you could continue the story of your pack playing as them. It would be truly heartbreaking to put so much effort into your pack, only to have it diminished by an unlucky kick or final sleep. After a death of a parent, the pack moves on, life continues and that would be a great way to represent that. In a devblog, it was revealed that if a breeding female or male of a pack dies, the other wolf will look for a mate and the pack continues. I hope you consider this. :flower:

Thank you for taking the time to go over this, and I hope you consider my suggestions.
Until then is it Olive, signing off! :leaf:
:ferret:

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu May 12, 2022 9:11 pm

Allowing the player (as their playable adult pups) to toggle between injured and uninjured versions of their coat.

I know the intention is to make it realistic by having them in the gene pool which is why I've been mulling over whether to even post this for the past couple of years. :') I'd love to be able to swap out because I rarely ever manage to get uninjured coats from the 50-50 pool of coats with injuries, even if that means it's a limited one-time choice you get locked out of per pup after you use it. I'm just tired of bad RNG.

Edit: OH! And something else I had thought about last night while screenshotting the new tails for the Wiki.
- Add a camera reset button in the Customize Wolf interface.
- Add a default tail camera perspective when modifying your avatar's tail.
I know it's just as easy to rotate your wolf yourself, but since we have a default head camera for the eyes... I was wondering if that'd be possible for the tail, too. On that note:
- Default the ears tab to the head camera.
Last edited by Neamara on Fri May 13, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

rowantobias

Post by rowantobias » Thu May 12, 2022 9:39 pm

Neamara wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:11 pm
Allowing the player (as their playable adult pups) to toggle between injured and uninjured versions of their coat.

I know the intention is to make it realistic by having them in the gene pool which is why I've been mulling over whether to even post this for the past couple of years. :') I'd love to be able to swap out because I rarely ever manage to get uninjured coats from the 50-50 pool of coats with injuries, even if that means it's a limited one-time choice you get locked out of per pup after you use it. I'm just tired of bad RNG.
i wanted to say i so agree with this - after all, injuries are not so much a genetic feature necessarily, and more likely you will gain nicks over the years!

solar-mutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by solar-mutt » Fri May 13, 2022 7:26 pm

Neamara wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:11 pm

Edit: OH! And something else I had thought about last night while screenshotting the new tails for the Wiki.
- Add a camera reset button in the Customize Wolf interface.
- Add a default tail camera perspective when modifying your avatar's tail.
I know it's just as easy to rotate your wolf yourself, but since we have a default head camera for the eyes... I was wondering if that'd be possible for the tail, too. On that note:
- Default the ears tab to the head camera.
I agree! I don't prefer the mange coats...my favorite pup from my first litter ended up with a mange coat and I was upset that I couldn't change it. I still am upset by it...it kind of ruined the cost for me in general too

Ogk1990
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ogk1990 » Tue May 17, 2022 10:00 am

Hi, when will come play with other animals? I just want to know how long it will take to come out or when you guys are working on it.

Greetings.

rowantobias

Post by rowantobias » Tue May 17, 2022 10:29 am

Ogk1990 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:00 am
Hi, when will come play with other animals? I just want to know how long it will take to come out or when you guys are working on it.

Greetings.
hi, what do you mean? are you asking when they will be adding new prey/predators? i think currently they are prioritizing the Saga, but i know bighorn sheep are in progress too!

Ogk1990
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ogk1990 » Tue May 17, 2022 11:14 am

I am saying if more playable animals were added as an example the bison playing with it would be brutal and fun and if you are working on it or when will you work on what I say.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue May 17, 2022 11:16 am

Ogk1990 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:14 am
I am saying if more playable animals were added as an example the bison playing with it would be brutal and fun and if you are working on it or when will you work on what I say.
This game is called Wolfquest, so the main character is a wolf. It's not called bison-quest or cougar-quest.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Ogk1990
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ogk1990 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:38 am

hi it would be nice if there was a map very
big like all yellowstone in one map

Greetings.

rowantobias

Post by rowantobias » Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 am

Ogk1990 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:38 am
hi it would be nice if there was a map very
big like all yellowstone in one map

Greetings.
unfortunately, this would not be very feasible for a lot of reasons, including file size, processing power, AI tracking, and funding, so this will probably not happen (or at least not very soon)

Quinlin
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Q

Post by Quinlin » Thu May 19, 2022 5:34 am

I'm unsure if this has been suggested before, or if it's already been stated that it won't be implemented, but the more I play single player, the more I wish there was an option for accelerated time as what exists in multiplayer.

Personally, I just find it it get a bit redundant to spend five+ hours on average per completed game in Slough Creek, especially when desiring to obtain certain age perks in older years. Not a big deal, as I still quite enjoy playing the game as is, it's just a thought that's been on my mind as of late so I figured I'd mention it!

solar-mutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by solar-mutt » Sun May 29, 2022 11:09 pm

I'd love to be able to play the game as a lone wolf in any map with seasons progressing fully, even with the ability to play full years. It would be great to play alone or just with your mate, relaxing and exploring without pups for a year or so. EG even without a mate or pups the seasons keep passing, no pause at any point (except maybe if you haven't chosen a den yet and have pups) I'd love the option to not have pups each year or have a randomizer of whether or not you have them. I'd also love to start the game in any season like you do in multiplayer. Just a few things to give the player more option.
  • 2-Jun-2022 POST MERGE
I'd love "shake" and "stretch" animations. To make room for them, the "ears" tab could be changed to "head" and we could move "grin" and "avert gaze" into "head." Aside from the option to shake off water and stretch in the morning, simply being cute and for ambiance like the stalking, according to runningwithwolfdogs (instagram and tiktok) her upper-mid wolfdog Faelen stretches to disengage mild conflicts (eg his "sister" Maeve wanting something and growling at him to stay away) and I've also read that dogs literally "shake off stress" and shake to calm down.

EDIT/ADDITION:
I'd also love to have more common small rodents to hunt. I've heard that wolves sometimes eat ground squirrels and pups often hunt voles in the marsh at rendezvous sites (esp Chalcedony Creek) while adults are away. It'd also allow the game to pull back from hares a little since wolves don't hunt those all that much.
I also hope that in the saga, when playijg as a grown pup, we can disperse with a group of siblings. I'd like to see body mods on pups in the saga too, such as short tails and bent ears. I'd like for the 2-4 month olds to have proper eye colors too; they all have gold, and then its a little weird for them to have green as an adult. I also hope that their coats will slowly fade into their adult coats or that they can have in-between coats of their pup/adult looks so that they stay identifyable. It's a pretty big leap from "black base" pup coat to "755M" or "42F/Cinderella" and would be shocking to go from black to white so quickly
Last edited by Neamara on Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OliveYips
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by OliveYips » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:40 pm

I have a few ideas. As the dev has mentioned, they will only accept possible, realistic ideas, in a Yellowstone setting. I will try to make these ideas as realistic as possible. :wolf:

Since the devs have decided not to add stranger wolf dens, I thought that they could add coyote pups and fox kits. Some AE players may be able to relate with me, as it would be nice to observe how other, non-wolf canids take care of their pups and kits. Also, as your pups are the only pups in the Slough Creek, it adds a sort of...emptiness. Of course, you should be able to attack the pups and kits. Since coyotes and foxes may not pose a big threat to the wolf, a challenge may be to dig the pups out of a deeper den. This would make digging a more significant feature in the game, as it is a thing that wild wolves regularly do. Maybe adding a feature where you can pick up the pups would add more cuteness to the game, though it is unlikely that a wolf would adopt a coyote pup or fox kit. But I will keep my fingers crossed! I don't see why adding coyote pups and fox kits is significantly different than adding bear cubs, which are a feature in the game. I hope you are also keeping cougar cubs an open option. :fox:

Being able to disperse with a sibling in Amethyst Mountain. As you see, dispersals are capable of traveling with their siblings. I have some extremely close wolves, and I would love for them to be able to disperse together. On the topic of the sibling staying or leaving after your player wolf finds a mate, maybe that depends on affinity??? They could join your pack to help out if the affinity is high when you find a mate. Also, maybe your sibling could be the breeding male or female of the pack and you could help out. That sounds unlikely as the game is about starting a pack, but it would be an interesting twist. :pawprint:

When the Saga comes out, I would appreciate it if you could add a feature where if your Ironwolf or Elderwolf dies, and there are adult offspring in your pack, you could continue the story of your pack playing as them. It would be truly heartbreaking to put so much effort into your pack, only to have it diminished by an unlucky kick or final sleep. After a death of a parent, the pack moves on, life continues and that would be a great way to represent that. In a devblog, it was revealed that if a breeding female or male of a pack dies, the other wolf will look for a mate and the pack continues. I hope you consider this. :flower:

Thank you for taking the time to go over this, and I hope you consider my suggestions.
Until then is it Olive, signing off! :leaf:
:ferret:

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”