Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Ideas for Future Updates

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:40 pm

I'm not sure if it has been suggested before or if there's already a way to do this, but a tag filtering system in the multiplayer lobby would be a great QOL addition in my opinion. I mean, we already have the server tags system in the game, so why not? I think it would be a great idea to add a filtering option that would allow us to filter out certain types of servers we don't want to see, and I don't think it would be too difficult to add.

This would make it much easier for players to find a server that they are interested in joining, rather than scrolling through every server in the lobby to find one that you want to join. It would just be a neat little QOL improvement.

A big thanks to user Danibeez for this idea!

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:57 pm

OliveYips wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:40 pm
I have a few ideas. As the dev has mentioned, they will only accept possible, realistic ideas, in a Yellowstone setting. I will try to make these ideas as realistic as possible. :wolf:

Since the devs have decided not to add stranger wolf dens, I thought that they could add coyote pups and fox kits. Some AE players may be able to relate with me, as it would be nice to observe how other, non-wolf canids take care of their pups and kits. Also, as your pups are the only pups in the Slough Creek, it adds a sort of...emptiness. Of course, you should be able to attack the pups and kits. Since coyotes and foxes may not pose a big threat to the wolf, a challenge may be to dig the pups out of a deeper den. This would make digging a more significant feature in the game, as it is a thing that wild wolves regularly do. Maybe adding a feature where you can pick up the pups would add more cuteness to the game, though it is unlikely that a wolf would adopt a coyote pup or fox kit. But I will keep my fingers crossed! I don't see why adding coyote pups and fox kits is significantly different than adding bear cubs, which are a feature in the game. I hope you are also keeping cougar cubs an open option. :fox:

Being able to disperse with a sibling in Amethyst Mountain. As you see, dispersals are capable of traveling with their siblings. I have some extremely close wolves, and I would love for them to be able to disperse together. On the topic of the sibling staying or leaving after your player wolf finds a mate, maybe that depends on affinity??? They could join your pack to help out if the affinity is high when you find a mate. Also, maybe your sibling could be the breeding male or female of the pack and you could help out. That sounds unlikely as the game is about starting a pack, but it would be an interesting twist. :pawprint:

When the Saga comes out, I would appreciate it if you could add a feature where if your Ironwolf or Elderwolf dies, and there are adult offspring in your pack, you could continue the story of your pack playing as them. It would be truly heartbreaking to put so much effort into your pack, only to have it diminished by an unlucky kick or final sleep. After a death of a parent, the pack moves on, life continues and that would be a great way to represent that. In a devblog, it was revealed that if a breeding female or male of a pack dies, the other wolf will look for a mate and the pack continues. I hope you consider this. :flower:

Thank you for taking the time to go over this, and I hope you consider my suggestions.
Until then is it Olive, signing off! :leaf:
You know, I really like the coyote/fox kit idea. However, they can be very small, and might be similar to killing rival wolf pack pups (which the devs have decided against, because it’s too dark). If WolfQuest can find a way to add fox and coyote pups (especially in the later seasons when they’re bigger and more easily seen) then that would be cool! Also, I definitely think cougars should be seen with cubs. Their cubs are relatively bigger in the later seasons so it’d be similar to killing grizzly cubs.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

PeanutSoup
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by PeanutSoup » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:27 pm

Some ideas (sorry if any have already been mentioned):

I would like something like an immersive sound mode, where the music is muted and instead the birdsong, weather sounds, etc. are amplified and change based on the location and time - for example, if near a creek there would be water sounds, if it is nighttime there would be cricket sounds, if it is raining then there would be rain sounds. I have found it very peaceful to play with the music off and putting on those sound effects in the background instead, and I have noticed that the birdsong and other sound effects in-game are usually rather quiet.

On a similar note, maybe there could be some more wildlife - I think the only birds in-game (other than the eagles) are just the little brown ones that fly away from the bushes. Some birds visible in the trees would increase the immersion, in my opinion. Although I know that they have stated before that there are difficulties with putting entities in trees, so maybe if there is ever a proper collider system in place on them, like if black bears are ever added. (Edit: I forgot that eagles can already perch in trees, so never mind that part... it probably meant as in animals climbing up/hanging onto trees. If eagles can already perch in trees and fly around, maybe some other, smaller types of birds as well?) Other than birds, maybe there could be visible fish in the water. Additionally, maybe there could be different fish types/varieties? I believe that there are a few different varieties of trout in Yellowstone, and other types of fish of course, but Bald eagles do not eat those as far as I know.

Not sure how feasible this is from a development standpoint, but when the Saga releases, maybe unrelated wolves could occasionally join the pack if you have wolves from previous litters that have not dispersed, or you could choose to chase them away? I believe both happen in real life, like when 21M joined the Druid Peak pack, or when 302M tried to court the same pack's females but was chased away by 21M repeatedly. Extending this, if unrelated wolves joined the pack successfully, then there could be multiple litters in the same year (as in not just you and your mate having the only litter every year, the subordinate adults might sometimes have one as well)?

And a final idea (not Yellowstone-related): when the game is completed, it would be interesting to someday have some different campaign, such as the arctic wolf one that was mentioned a while ago. Or other types of wolves in general, but I think that arctic wolves would be the most unique as compared to gray wolves - I could see something like a coldness mechanic, blizzards with low visibility, etc. being an interesting challenge. If not another type of wolf, maybe maps outside of Yellowstone. Maybe Voyageurs National Park: the beavers could be put to good use there, and maybe even a fishing mechanic, or Isle Royale National Park: it would be a nice change of pace to have a different gameplay style hunting-wise, because the wolves there mostly hunt moose (although I know that the wolf population there is small and struggling currently, so maybe if more are ever relocated or it could be set in the past).
Last edited by PeanutSoup on Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

rowantobias
Name: Rowan

Post by rowantobias » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:21 pm

PeanutSoup wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:27 pm
I would like something like an immersive sound mode, where the music is muted and instead the birdsong, weather sounds, etc. are amplified and change based on the location and time - for example, if near a creek there would be water sounds, if it is nighttime there would be cricket sounds, if it is raining then there would be rain sounds. I have found it very peaceful to play with the music off and putting on those sound effects in the background instead, and I have noticed that the birdsong and other sound effects in-game are usually rather quiet.
you can mute the music and boost the natural sounds, but if they're still quiet on max volume, you can send a feedback report for it!
PeanutSoup wrote:
On a similar note, maybe there could be some more wildlife - I think the only birds in-game (other than the eagles) are just the little brown ones that fly away from the bushes. Some birds visible in the trees would increase the immersion, in my opinion. Although I know that they have stated before that there are difficulties with putting entities in trees, so maybe if there is ever a proper collider system in place on them, like if black bears are ever added. Other than birds, maybe there could be visible fish in the water. Additionally, maybe there could be different fish types/varieties? I believe that there are a few different varieties of trout in Yellowstone, and other types of fish of course, but Bald eagles do not eat those as far as I know.
there are visible fish - they're the ones the eagles pick up, but they are hard to see with the water shader.
⍋°⍋ the night wore on. the forest remained as still as stone. ⍋°⍋
⚘⑇⚘⑇ ( they / he | discord mod ) ⑇⚘⑇⚘

Claire5538
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Claire5538 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:35 am

So I want to be able to use some emotes while laying down, like wagging my tail or calling my pups out of the den

PeanutSoup
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by PeanutSoup » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:30 am

rowantobias wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:21 pm
you can mute the music and boost the natural sounds, but if they're still quiet on max volume, you can send a feedback report for it!

there are visible fish - they're the ones the eagles pick up, but they are hard to see with the water shader.
I guess now that I think about it I mean that I would want not a whole mode, just more sounds in general. I only usually reliably hear the occasional short birdcall, the ambient sounds before a storm, and water sounds/waterfalls (I know that in real life waterfalls are loud, I especially wish that you could hear Faerie's Fall or the Tower Fall when that is released from farther away) - I will do that feedback submission about it. And I didn't know about the fish.
Claire5538 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:35 am
So I want to be able to use some emotes while laying down, like wagging my tail or calling my pups out of the den
I agree with this, sometimes the NPC wolves do emotes while sitting and laying down (I have seen mates do the tail emotes) and wonder why we can't do it too. The voice and ear emotes could also probably be done while sitting just as well as standing.

solar-mutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by solar-mutt » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:46 am

I want any permanent death to be put into the wolf's bio. Ironwolf deaths, not just elder wolf deaths. Maybe even the deaths of mates and pups could be listed in the family tree. Maybe when you click on them, under the stats it could say, "succumbed to illness" or something like that!

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:49 am

PeanutSoup wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:30 am
rowantobias wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:21 pm

I guess now that I think about it I mean that I would want not a whole mode, just more sounds in general. I only usually reliably hear the occasional short birdcall, the ambient sounds before a storm, and water sounds/waterfalls (I know that in real life waterfalls are loud, I especially wish that you could hear Faerie's Fall or the Tower Fall when that is released from farther away) - I will do that feedback submission about it. And I didn't know about the fish.
Claire5538 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:35 am
I agree with this, sometimes the NPC wolves do emotes while sitting and laying down (I have seen mates do the tail emotes) and wonder why we can't do it too. The voice and ear emotes could also probably be done while sitting just as well as standing.
Yeah, even when I turn the music off there are hardly any ambient sounds. It's very quiet apart from the light pattering of your wolf's feet and some bird calling every now and then. Usually when you are in a forest, you tend to hear tree leaves rustling, much more background noise, and wind. Right now, all I can hear is an unusually silent forest. I would also love to hear your wolf rustling tall grasses and bushes, or at least make it more noticeable.

+I noticed the elk I was killing made no sounds. Elk are very noisy and I'd assume when they are literally being mauled to death, they would emit some type of shriek/whimpering noises? Currently, when elk are fleeing in Wolfquest, they will sometimes make a shrill/shriek sound. So it would make sense for elk to vocalize when they are being attacked? I'm not asking for a blood-curdling scream, but enough to let the player know the elk isn't happy about this.
Last edited by -Wolfdog- on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:10 am

- Allow Favourite emotes to use Numpad as a secondary input.
- Aggressive Snarl shortcut on controller?
- Auto-walk shortcut on controller?
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 pm

Another suggested feature I was previously against is to expand on the caretaking of newborn puppies. I thought, well, that's never going to work. But then again, I had said this about a lot of game updates. Right now, those precious newborn pup models are only briefly seen when the player is naming them. Other than that, those models feel like a wasted opportunity to prolong gameplay. I think a lot of players would appreicate observing this extra stage of a wolf's life, but there has to be a way to incorporate it without feeling too boring.

For female wolves: Being a female wolf would obviously offer a more exclusive experience. Female wolves would have a meter representing their milk supply, and the mother wolf must ensure her entire litter is well-fed. Because she is nursing puppies, the female wolf will get hungrier more often, and must hunt more often. But she will have to return back soon to her vulnerable puppies. The lower her milk supply is, the greater the risk of pups' health lowering/becoming sick (maybe) and the greater the chance a predator will find them.

For male wolves: Male wolves have the duty of keeping their mates well-fed. Wolves have been observed giving nursing mothers food.
The puppies will stay in the den until they are about five weeks old. The mother will stay with them almost constantly at first, and the other wolves will bring food to her
(from https://wolfpark.org/animals/wolves/)
Again, this might mean having to hunt more often than usual. The longer his mate is away from the den, the higher the chance the litter will be lost because newborn pups need warmth, nourishment, and protection from their mothers. Additionally, you run the risk of predators discovering the den. One way to prevent that is to make sure the mother wolf has everything she needs in the first place: Lots of food.

Generally speaking, I think the predator AI could use an update. I have seen countless videos of rival wolves and bears digging into the den and killing an entire litter when the parents are away/too afraid. I would like the den to be less foolproof. Predators can still enter the den, but it will give you much more time to chase the predator away and it will not occur when away from the den. Basically, a predator can only dig into the den if you are extremely negligent. Back to my idea, when your female mate is nursing puppies and a predator comes by, depending upon her personality she will run out in fear (pups in danger) or she will stay in the den (pups are guaranteed saftey as long as the mate doesn't change her mind) and it's up to the player's wolf to protect his litter. Also he could be tasked with territory upkeep.

Bonus: In case of den flooding, the parent(s) will have to transport each puppy to a new den. It would take a long time for the den to completely flood, to give the player enough time to transport the litter.
And c'mon, we already have a newborn pup model!

Anyway, some ideas could be changed, no matter how it gets implemented I'd love to experience the newborn pup stage. Maybe the devs could add this into the saga a long way down the road?
Last edited by -Wolfdog- on Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:08 am

PeanutSoup wrote:

On a similar note, maybe there could be some more wildlife - I think the only birds in-game (other than the eagles) are just the little brown ones that fly away from the bushes. Some birds visible in the trees would increase the immersion, in my opinion. Although I know that they have stated before that there are difficulties with putting entities in trees, so maybe if there is ever a proper collider system in place on them, like if black bears are ever added. (Edit: I forgot that eagles can already perch in trees, so never mind that part... it probably meant as in animals climbing up/hanging onto trees. If eagles can already perch in trees and fly around, maybe some other, smaller types of birds as well?) Other than birds, maybe there could be visible fish in the water. Additionally, maybe there could be different fish types/varieties? I believe that there are a few different varieties of trout in Yellowstone, and other types of fish of course, but Bald eagles do not eat those as far as I know.
I really like the idea of more bird species being added. In 2.7, I remember that there were small songbirds in some places that would fly around and land on the ground. While they didn't really do much, I think it would be cool and immersive to see this return to the game. It could also be interesting to see these birds land in trees like eagles already do in the game.

I also think it would be cool to see the addition of brand new bird species to the game, like ducks, geese, sandhill cranes, etc. I think it would be very immersive to watch flocks of ducks or geese flying around the game-world and landing along waterways, or sandhill cranes landing in open meadows, etc. Birds like these could behave similar to the birds we currently have in the game, flying off when a player approaches. I also think it would be cool to see ospreys added to the game and to be able to watch them catch fish, the same way that Bald Eagles currently do in the game. Ruffed Grouse are also present in Yellowstone, and I think it would be interesting to encounter them in forested areas.

I really think adding more bird species like these to the game would help to make the game more immersive. It would make the environment in the game feel more alive.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:25 pm

Very important!

Please balance out the stranger-wolf-to-player ratio. In multiplayer, when a player is by themselves and they encounter stranger wolves, it is nearly impossible to escape without being killed. One wolf against 8 wolves is what I recently encountered, and no matter how hard I tried I could barely move.

When I shook one wolf off, 3 more would come and grab me. The wolves would continue to do this until my wolf died. It was pretty much impossible to escape without dying or seriously injuring your wolf. I think it is very unfair and the number of stranger wolves should be dictated by how many players are in the immediate area. (example: 3 vs 1, not 10 vs 1 c':)

Another thing, when a player is by themselves at the den with pups, and a stranger wolf attack pops up, it can be extremely difficult to thwart their attempts, particularly when a pup walks out of the den. Even 2 players will have a hard time protecting exposed puppies when you have to keep an eye on 5+ wolves simultaneously. It just isn't feasible from a gameplay aspect, even if it is more realistic. So I'm begging you guys to balance out the attacks proportionately.

Screenshot of what I had to face off...
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:13 pm

If your wolf was wearing a GPS Collar during its lifetime, a neat little tidbit would be the ability to access a mini map—perhaps at the end of the wolf’s life—to see where it has gone year by year. It would make the GPS Collar that much more of an interesting little accessory, and lend a little bit more storytelling to the life of your wolf.

Perhaps the game’s notorious Lazy wolves could be given one positive attribute: patience. This idea is entirely based on the study on voyageurs wolves that suggest that some personalities are more optimal for beaver hunting. Maybe lazier wolves won’t be as willing to go out and mark territory as opposed to basking in the sun, but when hunting, it’d be neat to see them make patient beaver hunters. That is—if there’s a trail nearby, haha.

Customization for the fluffiness of the nape/neck is something I’ve wanted for a while! As is an actual mange setting that can be applied to any pelt, but I understand that like scars, this may be a huge technical endeavor.

For multiplayer, it would be so nice to turn off wolf territories entirely for the ultimate exploration excursions. I used to know the legacy maps like the back of my hand. I’d love to get to know these new, larger maps in the same way too—without the hassle of dealing with eight wolves on my tail, haha.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:56 am

Phasoli wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:13 pm
If your wolf was wearing a GPS Collar during its lifetime, a neat little tidbit would be the ability to access a mini map—perhaps at the end of the wolf’s life—to see where it has gone year by year. It would make the GPS Collar that much more of an interesting little accessory, and lend a little bit more storytelling to the life of your wolf.
That is a cool idea! But I wonder how computationally expensive it would be to do? I don't know these things well enough to say haha
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:24 pm

DaniBeez wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:56 am
Phasoli wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:13 pm
That is a cool idea! But I wonder how computationally expensive it would be to do? I don't know these things well enough to say haha
I don't know much about game development or computer stuff so I can't weigh in on that either, but I do also love this idea, it sounds neat!
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”