Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:09 am

I think it would be nice to have more seasonal changes in how animals in the game look. We already have many differences in wildlife across the different seasons depicted in the game, like newborn ungulates in the spring in Slough Creek, deer species in the game losing their antlers in the winter and regrowing them throughout the Slough Creek arc, etc. But there are other seasonal differences that species in Yellowstone undergo that aren't represented in the game, and that kind of messes with my immersion. The main one is that the Mule Deer and Elk in the game currently keep their heavier, more grayish-brown autumn/winter coats year-round. In real life, however, they would have a more reddish-brown coat in the warmer months, which they would keep throughout spring and summer. While I'm sure many players don't pay much attention to this, I find that it breaks my immersion quite a bit to see Mule Deer running around in springtime in Slough Creek and yet they still have their grayish brown autumn/winter coats, which they wouldn't have at that time of the year in reality. It's less noticeable with the Elk, which don't change as drastically in color IRL as Mule Deer do, but it's still problematic to have elk in summer that still have their fall/winter coat coloration. It would be really nice to have these seasonal color changes in the game, because it would make the game more immersive in the spring and summer portions of the Slough Creek episode, and it would just be such a nice and realistic little detail in my opinion. Below are some links with pictures of what Mule Deer and Elk look like with their spring/summer coats, to give some examples of what these differences could look like in the game:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD0DV-NJWuh/ Several bull elk with their summertime coats.
Elk cow and Bull with their summer coats
Mule Deer buck with summer coat
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/mule-deer.htm This page from the National Park Service website includes another picture of a Mule Deer buck with its summertime coat.
Credit: National Park Service, GoodBullOutdoors on Instagram

While this wouldn't change the gameplay of the Slough Creek arc very much, it would make the game much more immersive. And judging by the fact that seasonal color changes are already implemented with the Snowshoe Hares in the game, I don't think it would be too difficult to add seasonal color variations to other species.

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup
Name: Nova

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:28 am

DinoDogDude209 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:09 am
I think it would be nice to have more seasonal changes in how animals in the game look. We already have many differences in wildlife across the different seasons depicted in the game, like newborn ungulates in the spring in Slough Creek, deer species in the game losing their antlers in the winter and regrowing them throughout the Slough Creek arc, etc. But there are other seasonal differences that species in Yellowstone undergo that aren't represented in the game, and that kind of messes with my immersion. The main one is that the Mule Deer and Elk in the game currently keep their heavier, more grayish-brown autumn/winter coats year-round. In real life, however, they would have a more reddish-brown coat in the warmer months, which they would keep throughout spring and summer. While I'm sure many players don't pay much attention to this, I find that it breaks my immersion quite a bit to see Mule Deer running around in springtime in Slough Creek and yet they still have their grayish brown autumn/winter coats, which they wouldn't have at that time of the year in reality. It's less noticeable with the Elk, which don't change as drastically in color IRL as Mule Deer do, but it's still problematic to have elk in summer that still have their fall/winter coat coloration. It would be really nice to have these seasonal color changes in the game, because it would make the game more immersive in the spring and summer portions of the Slough Creek episode, and it would just be such a nice and realistic little detail in my opinion. Below are some links with pictures of what Mule Deer and Elk look like with their spring/summer coats, to give some examples of what these differences could look like in the game:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD0DV-NJWuh/ Several bull elk with their summertime coats.
Elk cow and Bull with their summer coats
Mule Deer buck with summer coat
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/mule-deer.htm This page from the National Park Service website includes another picture of a Mule Deer buck with its summertime coat.
Credit: National Park Service, GoodBullOutdoors on Instagram

While this wouldn't change the gameplay of the Slough Creek arc very much, it would make the game much more immersive. And judging by the fact that seasonal color changes are already implemented with the Snowshoe Hares in the game, I don't think it would be too difficult to add seasonal color variations to other species.
Speaking of that, I hope we have wet animals or skinnier summer-coated/fatter winter-coated wolves in higher graphics settings in WQ.

Also blood trail in scent trails on more gore settings can be nice (same color as animal, shape of spilled liquid/in lower gores just footprint, read as ex) "Injured Elk")

Mates having ability to bring back solid food(Especially social/energetic ones) to feed pups would also be nice

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:18 pm

Just a couple of random ideas that would benefit the game in my opinion.

1. I believe it has been suggested before, but can we get more options when starting a Pack Life multiplayer game? I know a lot of people want a game mode that would be more like pack life in 2.7, with no pack territories at all to allow players to just explore the whole map freely. So I think it should be an option to disable all pack territories in the pack life mode, so players are free to explore the whole map without restriction. It's sort of unrealistic, sure, but it would really make it a lot easier to explore and enjoy the massive game worlds that the team has created for the game. I also think that an option to choose what season the game starts out in would be really nice to have in Pack Life in multiplayer. Want to run around Amethyst Mountain in wintertime with your friends, but don't have the time to play until winter would usually come? The host could choose between starting the game in either winter or fall then. With Pack Life in Slough Creek, that may be more difficult to implement, since Slough Creek spans from winter to summer, but the basic premise would be the same. If a group of players want to just free-roam in the Slough Creek map in the Pack Life mode, then they could choose from any of the times of year that are depicted in the singleplayer campaign: Late winter (when you would normally be establishing territory in singleplayer), April (when some of the snow is melted but not all of it), Early spring (before the floodwaters recede), Late Spring (after floodwaters recede and elk calves are born) and summer, which would basically be endless summer but without pups. Maybe there could also eventually be an option in Pack Life that would allow you to explore those maps in seasons that aren't depicted in singleplayer, like Amethyst Mountain in spring or summer, and Slough Creek in fall - maybe that would be a good idea for future DLC for the game. I just think that more ways like that to customize your multiplayer game would allow for more creativity, and would give some more options to players who like to explore the game world or come up with unique roleplays in multiplayer.

2. Add a credits theme - simply a piece of special music from the game's soundtrack that would play in the background while players view the game's credits, rather than the usual menu music. Honestly, you wouldn't really even need to compose new music for this purpose - the Endless Summer track from the Slough Creek tracks would fit pretty well as a credits theme, in my opinion. Or, if you really want to make use of a currently unused music track, one that is slightly more unique and emotional, then the Bonus Piano Theme from the Lost River section of the soundtrack could be used for this purpose. I believe that it's really quite a shame that even now, this absolutely beautiful track from the music extras pack remains unused in the game (as far as I know). I think that this currently unused track could be utilized very well as a credits theme, and I think that using this track for this purpose would be a nice way to pay tribute to Tim Buzza and Ben Woolman and the amount of music that they both have produced for the game over the years, as well as the rest of the WolfQuest team who have poured so much of their time and effort into making this game so great.

GreenCrystal19
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: GreenCrystal19

Feature requests?

Post by GreenCrystal19 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:17 pm

So, there are three things that I really wish could be added/fixed.

The first: in 2.7, it was easy to find carcasses because they had smoke-plumes coming up, and the carcass itself glowed when you were near it I don't know if this is just me, but 3.0 doesn't seem to do this, and it makes it nearly impossible to find my old kills. Maybe the smoke plumes could be visible from a shorter distance? And maybe the colors of the packs can NOT be purple or magenta; I keep thinking the scent marks are carcasses. . . .

The second: could Pack Info/Stats keep the stats for how many of each animal you killed? For bragging rights, or something. I know it's not entirely realistic, and wolves don't care about kills and don't want to kill, but it IS a game, and humans do enjoy bragging.

The third: this isn't as important to me as the first two, but could the "Life is Rough" skins just add the scar, instead of the entire fur texture? I don't know if it's possible to layer multiple textures on one model, but if it is, that would be useful. Because I'm pretty sure it's fairly common to really like one scar, but not the skin that comes with it (or have another skin you like more). The same applies to the notched/torn ears; is there an option for which ear to put it on that I just don't know about? Or...?

Anyways, I appreciate all the hard work the devs are putting into the game, and it's worlds better/more expansive than 2.7. These are just a few things I think would make it better.

Thanks,
GreenCrystal19.

aBlackOnyxz
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Azure

Post by aBlackOnyxz » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:08 pm

Just stopping by to drop a few quick ideas.

× Custom Difficulty ×
I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves to play on accurate, but absolutely hates having to mark territory so often. This suggestion is for deciding how difficult certain things are with maybe a slider for each thing, such as territory decreasing, damage done by certain animals and speed of health regen. I think it would mostly be useful for multiplayer as when my roleplay opens up, having to keep the territory strong while in a casual relaxed roleplay would be quite annoying. Switching the game to easy wouldn't work too well before anyone mentions it as I would still want the realism of damage dealt by bears with the territory being impossible to maintain.

× Larger Multiplayer Servers ×
I have mentioned this on the Discord a few times, but the current server numbere are a little low. I think a totally of 10-12 player could be manageable and possibly larger numbers for private servers? Everyone in a private server should know how well their PC can run and their wouldn't be the problem of those who can't handle that many people joining the game.

× More Emotes ×
This isn't anything big, just maybe a few more louder voice emotes? And some more to go with Grin, Play Bow and Roll? (Head tilt, maybe?) Along with possibly using the emotes that work with other wolves in singleplayer as they rarely get any use.

Kaedi
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Kaedi » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:18 pm

In the same line as the NPC only black coats, I think that there should be a hidden swimming skill that can only be obtained through legacy. Swimming is really tedious and having it as a reward by playing through a legacy style would be nice. I don't think it should be overpowered as a sprint, but just slightly faster than the current swim speed.

leathermutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by leathermutt » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:21 pm

an extremely nitpicky addition but something that bothers me to the ends of the earth.

the option to turn off usernames in the chat.

in rp especially, it is immensely distracting - i much prefer the old format (Name: Speech) over Name(Username): Speech. the option to simply turn off usernames would be incredible.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:16 am

I don’t like the sleep mechanics in multiplayer. It wastes so much time because you’ll always have one player who’s not listening... or the host refuses to sleep... this issue has occurred in virtually every game to some extent— I have been told to “just leave/report” the host or player if the issue arises, but WQ should’ve implemented a decent solution right from the start, why is it now my responsibility to go around leaving/reporting almost every multiplayer game because of a faulty system?

Solution: Being able to sleep independently. So one wolf could be sleeping while the others could be out hunting etc. It would function very similarly to the regular sleep system but with one catch— time does not progress and you will recharge faster when everyone else is sleeping. Your wolf will automatically wake up if there is a disturbance such as a stranger wolf pack.

Not only is it more convenient but it also is more realistic!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Ideas for Achievements in WolfQuest AE - Revisited

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun May 02, 2021 2:02 pm

Currently, WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition still doesn't have achievements yet, though they seem to be in something that is in-progress. I originally made a post about this topic back in late 2019, but I find it to be quite outdated now. As such, I have compiled a brand new list of ideas for possible achievements that could be included when achievements are released for the Anniversary Edition. Many of these are a little cheesy, but then again, so were many of the achievements in WolfQuest Classic. Some are also copied directly from WolfQuest Classic as a nod to achievements that were in that version of the game. Note that since WolfQuest AE is still not finished, this list of ideas may still be subject to change. Be aware that this list is very long, so I wouldn't suggest reading through all of these ideas at once unless you have a lot of time to spare. If anyone from the WolfQuest team is reading this, I hope you can get some good inspiration for what kinds of achievements could be included in the game, because I spent far too much time compiling this list for these ideas to go to waste.

Potential Location-based achievements
Locations (Amethyst Mountain map)

Ancient Trees: Visit the Fossil Forest
Ashes of Eden: Visit The Burn
The Namesake Mountain: Visit the Amethyst Summit
Lamar Lookout Point: Visit the Lamar Overlook
Wolf-Watching Mecca: Visit the Lamar Valley
Twin Falls: Visit Fairies Fall
Riverside Hangout: Visit the Lamar River
The Mountain Creek: Visit Amethyst Creek in Amethyst Mountain
Hopeful: Visit Hope Creek in Amethyst Mountain
Chalcedony Curiosity: Visit Chalcedony Creek in Amethyst Mountain
A Fine Specimen: Visit Specimen Creek in Amethyst Mountain
Creekside Explorer: Visit all creeks in Amethyst Mountain
Wapiti Warning: Visit the Wapiti Pack Territory
Junction's Justification: Visit the Junction Butte Pack Territory
Lost in Lamar: Visit the Lamar Canyon Pack Territory
Jack of All Territories: Visit all Pack Territories in Amethyst Mountain
Camping in the Backcountry: Find the Tent in Amethyst Mountain

Locations (Slough Creek map)

Beautiful Slopes: Visit Sandy Slopes in Slough Creek.
Grass, Grass, and More Grass: Visit Grassy Plateau in Slough Creek
Shaped Like A Crescent: Visit Crescent Pond in Slough Creek
Crystal-Clear Waters: Visit Crystal Pond in Slough Creek
Where the Buffalo Roam: Visit Buffalo Fork Pass in Slough Creek
Wandering Far and Wide: Visit Wanderer's Point in Slough Creek
Meet Me at Elk Tongue: Visit Elk Tongue Overlook in Slough Creek
Horn of the Day: Visit Hornaday Creek In Slough Creek
Flowing Into a Lake: Visit McBride Creek
The Namesake Creek: Visit Slough Creek itself in the Slough Creek map
King/Queen Of The Creeks: Visit all the major creeks in Slough Creek
The Iconic Cabins: Visit the Slough Creek Patrol Cabins
Hidden Campout: Visit the tent in Slough Creek

Actions Achievements:

First Fawn: Kill a Mule Deer Fawn
Muley Mischief: Kill 5 Mule Deer Fawns
Fawning em' Off: Kill 10 Mule Deer Fawns
Doe Downed: Kill a Doe Mule Deer
Doe'nt Stop Me Now: Kill 3 Doe Mule Deer
Doe'nt Stop Believin': Kill 5 Doe Mule Deer
The Buck Stops Here: Kill a Buck Mule Deer
Getting Our Buck On: Kill 3 Buck Mule Deer
The Deer Hunter: Kill one Mule Deer of each type
Many Mulies: Kill 20 Mule Deer (any type)
Buck Masters: Kill a Buck Mule Deer with a pack in Multiplayer

First Blood: Kill an Elk Calf
Natural Selection FTW: Kill 10 Elk Calves
Thinning The Herd: Kill 15 Elk Calves
Cowing Down on Some Elk: Kill a Cow Elk
Cow on That!: Kill 5 Cow Elk
The Cow of The Wild: Kill 10 Cow Elk
Maverick: Kill a Spike Elk
Spike in Performance: Kill 5 Spike Elk
Bulls-Eye!: Kill a Bull Elk
The Bulldozer: Kill 3 Bull Elk
Elk Enthusiast: Kill one Elk of each type
Tired of Elk Meat: Kill 30 Elk (any type)
The Tables Have Turned: Get killed by an Elk
Teamwork: Kill an Elk Calf with a pack in Multiplayer
Elks Club: Kill a Cow Elk with a pack in Multiplayer
Elk Experts: Kill a Spike Elk with a Pack in Multiplayer
Elk Masters: Kill a Bull Elk with a pack in Multiplayer

Dinner Moosic: Kill a Moose Calf
Making Moosechief: Kill 5 Moose Calves
Once in a Blue Moose: Kill a Cow Moose
Duck Duck Moose: Kill 3 Cow Moose
Not Moosing Around: Kill a Bull Moose
Many Moosen: Kill 10 Moose (any type)
Don't Moose With Us!: Kill a Bull Moose with a pack in Multiplayer
Getting Moosed Up: Get killed by a Moose
Moosen Master: Kill one moose of each type

Bison Breaker: Kill a Bull Bison
Buffalo Wings: Kill 3 Bull Bison
Fellowship of The Pack: Kill a Bull Bison with a pack in multiplayer
Big Bad Bison: Get killed by a Bison

An Easy Snack: Kill a Snowshoe Hare
It's Hare Season: Kill 10 Snowshoe Hares
Expert Wabbit Hunter: Kill 100 Snowshoe Hares

Busy As A Beaver: Kill a Beaver
Honing Our Hunting Skills: Kill 5 Beavers
Beeaaverrrss: Kill 10 Beavers

Outfox the Fox: Kill a Fox
Fox Frenzy: Kill 5 Foxes

Coyote Ugly: Chase off a Coyote
Coyote Nemesis: Chase off 5 coyotes
Coyote Destroyer: Kill a Coyote
Coyote Exterminator: Kill 10 Coyotes

King of The Hill: Chase off a Stranger Wolf
Unstoppable Wolf: Chase off 5 Stranger Wolves
Big Bad Wolf: Kill a Stranger Wolf

Canines Rule!: Chase off a Cougar
Cowardly Kitties: Chase off 3 Cougars
Bye Bye, Kitty: Kill a Cougar

Fearless: Chase off a Sow Grizzly Bear
Loaded For Bear: Chase off 3 Sow Grizzly Bears
Courage and Skill: Chase off a Boar Grizzly Bear
Over Boared: Chase off 3 Boar Grizzly Bears

Crying Wolf: Get killed by a stranger wolf
Felines Take Over: Get killed by a Cougar
An Error in Judgement: Get killed by a Grizzly Bear
Parkour!!: Jump off a cliff
Defeated by Gravity: Die due to fall damage

Killing Spree: Kill 10 Animals (any species)
Overkill: Kill 25 animals (any species)
Hungry Like The Wolf: Eat from 10 carcasses
Mass Consumption: Eat from 25 carcasses

Death From Above: Watch a Golden Eagle hunt a Snowshoe Hare
A Fine Catch: Watch a Bald Eagle hunt a fish in the Lamar River
Fox Watching: Watch a fox mousing
Wile E Coyote: Watch a Coyote catch a Snowshoe Hare
Clash of The Titans: Watch two Bull Elk fighting
Antler Clashing: Watch two Buck Mule Deer fighting

Heartbreaker: Reject a potential mate during the mate trial period
The Danger Zone: Enter a rival pack territory
Get Lost: Start a new game in the Lost River (Classic) map
Through It All: Complete the Slough Creek story arc on every difficulty
The Wolf of Steel: Complete the Slough Creek story arc with an Ironwolf
They Grow up so Fast: Play as one of your wolf's pups via the Family Tree panel

Quest Completion Achievements
Missions Achievements (Amethyst Mountain)

Basic Survival Skills: Complete the Learn To Hunt Quest
Happily Together: Complete the Find A Mate Quest
Slough Who?: Complete the Journey to Slough Creek Quest

Missions Achievements (Slough Creek)
This Land Is My Land: Complete the Establish Territory Quest
Home Sweet Home: Complete the Find a Den Quest
Ready For A Journey: Complete the Raise Pups Quest
Ready To Loaf: Complete the Journey to a Summer Home Quest
Survival of the Pack: Complete the Loaf at Rendezvous Site Quest

Other Achievements for future features:

An achievement called "Counting Sheep" that would be completed by killing a large number of Bighorn Sheep
An achievement called "Deep Impact" that would be completed by witnessing two Bighorn rams fighting

In case you're wondering, I was able to come up with almost 130 achievement ideas in total. Apologies for the very long post.

Ogk1990
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ogk1990 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:54 am

hi when there will be more languages for example Spanish and also add that the puppies will not die if you could not run out of puppies would be less realistic but easier to play and level up and increase statistic.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:01 am

Ogk1990 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:54 am
hi when there will be more languages for example Spanish and also add that the puppies will not die if you could not run out of puppies would be less realistic but easier to play and level up and increase statistic.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that puppies shouldn't die in Wolfquest? If so, I disagree. Wolfquest strives on realism, and keeping one's pups alive is a crucial part of Wolfquest, if the puppies could respawn (technically, they can, just reload a save! But sometimes it's inevitable) immediately after dying I'm not sure what the purpose of predators would be if they posed no real threat?
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Ogk1990
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Ideas para nuevos episodios /actualizaciones futuras

Post by Ogk1990 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:46 pm

Hi but I have seen that the mate has a non permanent death option for the puppies, it should also exists

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Ogk1990 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:46 pm
Hi but I have seen that the mate has a non permanent death option for the puppies, it should also exists
La razón por la que los cachorros no pueden ser inmortales es porque el desafío del juego es asegurar la supervivencia de tus cachorros. La principal amenaza para ellos es la muerte. Si los cachorros se volvieran inmortales, los depredadores, las enfermedades, el hambre y las inundaciones serían inútiles. El juego sería muy aburrido y demasiado fácil. La muerte les da a los jugadores una razón para cuidar a sus cachorros y proporciona una historia realista. Espero haberlo explicado bien, pido disculpas ya que el español no es mi idioma principal.

Translation:
The reason puppies cannot be immortal is because the challenge of the game is to ensure the survival of your pups. The main threat to them is death. If the puppies were to become immortal, predators, disease, starvation, and floods would be useless. The game would be too boring and too easy. Death gives players a reason to care for their puppies and provides a realistic storyline. I hope I have explained this well, I apologize as Spanish is not my main language.

[edit]
I'd like to point out I'm typing in Spanish so a user can understand me better, I've provided a translation so I don't see how this is against the rules regardless. Mods, please let me know if it's against the rules.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Ogk1990
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Ideas para nuevos episodios /actualizaciones futuras

Post by Ogk1990 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:40 am

Hi I wonder when the language will be in Spanish in game.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:12 pm

Ogk1990 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:40 am
Hi I wonder when the language will be in Spanish in game.
There are no estimates. Dave has mentioned plans for localization in the past, so other languages may eventually be supported at some point in the future.
-Wolfdog- wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:14 pm
I'd like to point out I'm typing in Spanish so a user can understand me better, I've provided a translation so I don't see how this is against the rules regardless. Mods, please let me know if it's against the rules.
Acceptable and allowed imo since you did provide the English version for non-Spanish readers.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”