Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

KharaQuinn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Ideas for Future Updates

Post by KharaQuinn » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:26 am

Whilst water-spraying my grandparent's dog during a heatwave I thought of an ambient and wolf body temperature mechanism that could be added to WQ. :wolf: What do I have in mind? :wolf:

--- When the sun is scorching hot, wolves should pant more during rest (including the shade). Hunting is not advised as it could lead to a heat stroke in extreme situations. The stamina decreases significantly even if the wolf is well-rested and healthy. The wolf cools down when it splashes or swims in water. Frequent drinking also helps combat the increased bodily temperature. Possibly other animals could have the same effect. :turtle: In short: during heatwaves, animals are lazy and slow

--- When the wolf is sick and has a temperature, it feels cold during winter and hot during summer. Proper measures must be taken for the wolf to heal faster (like cooling down during hot weather and warming up during cold weather). :raven: In short: Fevers affect the body temps for you and your pups too!

--- On the other hand, when it is cold or especially when there is a finger-biting freeze, spending time in the water for too long could potentially lead to hypothermia. The body of the wolf starts shivering. When the signs of a lowered temperature are ignored, the wolf may get sickly and slow (I haven't heard of wolves dying from the cold, so possibly just immunocompromised wolves could suffer from the cold the most). The temperatures of the wind could also affect this. When the wolf is dry and has a healthy winter coat, the cold does not affect the wolf. :moose: In short: when wet during the cold, the bodily temperature decreases. When it reaches a certain point the wolf shivers. The wolf will warm up fastest whilst basking in the winter sun, running or sitting in a wind-deprived area.

To make things more realistic, there should be no bar for the atmospheric or wolf body temperatures. The player should have a feel for it and observe the behaviour of their wolf or the pack.

I hope the devs look into this feature! I think it would add more depth and have a greater feel for the surrounding atmospheric conditions of the virtual world.[/size]

RavensCorvax
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Raven

Post by RavensCorvax » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:19 pm

Regarding Multiplayer and the quest line. ( I do apologize if this has ever been brought up)

I´d love to see a type of "story mode" type of server hosting option which lets you go through basically what single player lets you do, tutorial,find mate (though in multiplayer id keep this out) and eventually move to slought creek and do the pups section of the game there all in one.

One thing that always kinda upset me is that this was never possible in the old Wolf Quest game and I´d love to see a type of "storymode" that let´s your online server, be it online or private with friends, go through what the main game let´s you do but together. I think this would be kinda huge fun to have this be a continues line . I know we can choose different types of specific section of game play such as pups in slought creek, amethyst mountain and the territory sections or free play. But I think it would be interesting to give players an oppertunity to play through the story together with friends or other people on the game !
I am quite afraid this may be a bit difficult to get to work? hence why it´s probably not a thing in the game .

RavensCorvax
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Raven

Post by RavensCorvax » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:56 pm

A small adjustment idea for Multiplayer regarding the NPC/Enemie packs.

As we know there´s enemie packs of wolf roaming the maps while you play modes such as territory and so on. What I´ve found myself in several times though is being fully bodied by those packs even trying to run from one of their territory hex, another patrol spawns with equally as many wolfs for some reason even on easy mode.

Which, this brings issues. For one I understand the number of pack members double by how many players are on the Map right now, makes sence to do so !
But the spawning of the enemie wolf packs is handeled a bit odd in my experience with it. Ive ran away from a territory hex multiple times and ran into another hex of the pack and there was suddendly another pack patrol even on easy mode those are almost killing me a good percentage of time.

I wish there was a slight adjustment to the spawn of the enemie wolfs within a hex and per mode. Like on Easy mode only one patrol will spawn every two or so hexes so the chance of killing or dealing with one patrol and than right after another will come for you is decreased, or lower the spawns of the wolfs near each player for examply : if im alone or with a second pack member in one hex or in range of lets say 4 hexes, only 4-5 enemies spawn to give us a chance to either fight or run. If theres ofc all 8players in range of the same hex the normal hard 16 enemies can spawn.

again just a small idea since easy mode doesnt really feel any different to the normal mode in my experience? I´ve continuesly got bodies alot even in easy mode and personally had way less hard encounters in normal multiplayer for some reason. Maybe ive just been unlucky :(

Savagery
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Nathaniel

Suggestion: Wolf Character Folders

Post by Savagery » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:55 pm

So, I love to breed for NPC coats in single player. but I also like to rp and have separate characters. I know there is a favorite wolf function, but I have a lot of NPCs and some variants I prefer over others. They don't necessarily overlap with my rp characters though. I'd love to seee a way to organize wolves through folders, ie. I could have a folder called "NPC coats", "RP wolves", "Pup Farmers", etc. This would allow players to filter their wolves into their perspective roles for them. I like to collect NPC coats and have tons of them, and I refuse to delete them as they fulfill a need to collect for me, but I also don't intend to use them and they just take up room in my wolf list.

BiteElk
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by BiteElk » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:18 pm

Maybe when pups reach the age where they're starting to figure things out, if they smell or see tracks of something (other wolf, prey, etc...), they'd follow it? Of course, if their personality is more bold or energetic. And if they were more cautious, either they'd slowly approach the scent / tracks, hide somewhere (den or favorite wolf), or they'd attempt to alert the others - even if there isn't a problem. Also, it'd be nice if they could learn what the certain scents are (which I'm assuming will be a part of the saga). Pups might get lost if they follow the scent too far, and might bring danger back to the den while running away!

(This could be something that's added or considered already, and I'm sorry if I missed it.)

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:48 am

I would like to add on to what others are saying about implementing diseases for adult wolves. I believe adding a sickness mechanic would make the game more interesting with non-lethal illnesses such as mange or canine hepatitis and maybe even canine distemper. The chance is random but rare, and the player would face penalties such as reduced stamina or energy. The recovery time could be changed depending on the difficulty setting.

I think if permadeath is enabled for mates, it has the chance of being lethal to them-- just adds another realistic, common way wolves die in the wild, and would make coat selection even more important since wolves with black coats are more resistant to disease.
I don't think it should be contagious since it'd be impractical from a gameplay standpoint.

Puppies can also catch the same diseases, but much more likely to be lethal. I guess the current sickness mechanic for pups can stay, but the illness is diagnosed and might be more or less lethal depending on what it is.
Should rabies be added? I dont think so, it is always lethal and there is nothing the player can do about it. Again, impractical gameplay-wise.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Wolflodge13
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Jordan

Post by Wolflodge13 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:58 pm

I feel like there should be more of an option to organize wolves. I was thinking instead of the favorite checkmark to add your wolves to favorites, what about a drop down menu and you can put them into categories like “current wolves”, “wolves to work on” “multiplayer” just something like that so there’s a way to separate and categorizes the wolves in the “My Wolves”

Ornithogalum
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Ornithogalum » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:55 am

im here suggesting an 'explore' mode for both single-player and multiplayer, where rival/npc packs aren't a problem. you can't find a mate or raise pups, but its more for roleplaying on multiplayer and not being so confined to a small* area, or for the achievements that require you to collect or find things. in single-player i find it hard to find most things bc they end up in another territory and i get my butt handed to me every time i try and look for things. and i don't wanna have to start a new game with each territory config. i just think it'd be fun for the casual players like me :3

(* depending on your territory config settings)

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:46 pm

Ornithogalum wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:55 am
im here suggesting an 'explore' mode for both single-player and multiplayer, where rival/npc packs aren't a problem. you can't find a mate or raise pups, but its more for roleplaying on multiplayer and not being so confined to a small* area, or for the achievements that require you to collect or find things. in single-player i find it hard to find most things bc they end up in another territory and i get my butt handed to me every time i try and look for things. and i don't wanna have to start a new game with each territory config. i just think it'd be fun for the casual players like me :3

(* depending on your territory config settings)
I do really like this idea as a "free-roam" sort of thing, and I've suggested a similar mode for multiplayer in the past. I think it would be great for casual players or roleplayers who just want to explore the map freely and enjoy every little bit of the beautiful landscapes that the WolfQuest team has made for the game.

However, if the WQ Team were to make such a mode in the game, I don't know if we would be able to get exploration-based achievements in such a mode. That might make it too easy to find all the items for those achievements and as far as I understand it, the team doesn't want those achievements to be too easy to get. That's really my only concern here though!

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:36 am

I will always +1 Support exploration/sandbox/free-roam suggestions for WQ:AE. I know it's been said that it's not a simple task (unless I'm mistaken or misremembering?) but this is something I'm always hoping will happen someday. ♥

I get that pack wolves are supposed to be part of the challenge of the gameplay loop, but Territory Configurations alone just don't cut it and having to claim where you want to explore hex by hex is an absolute pain... dare I say nightmare? I'd certainly appreciate such a game mode — for me at least, it would help make the Wiki workload a little less laborious. Personally I don't mind if a) it was multiplayer-only and/or b) some/all achievements disabled. I just want to explore and find things and not have to worry about the crime of trespass.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:49 pm

Neamara wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:36 am
I will always +1 Support exploration/sandbox/free-roam suggestions for WQ:AE. I know it's been said that it's not a simple task (unless I'm mistaken or misremembering?) but this is something I'm always hoping will happen someday. ♥

I get that pack wolves are supposed to be part of the challenge of the gameplay loop, but Territory Configurations alone just don't cut it and having to claim where you want to explore hex by hex is an absolute pain... dare I say nightmare? I'd certainly appreciate such a game mode — for me at least, it would help make the Wiki workload a little less laborious. Personally I don't mind if a) it was multiplayer-only and/or b) some/all achievements disabled. I just want to explore and find things and not have to worry about the crime of trespass.
Yeah I completely agree, a proper free roam mode with no restrictions would be great for anyone who just wants to explore (which is sometimes what I am).

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:23 pm

Mate Perks/NPC Perks

Just an idea, and thinking about it...probably could expand on this idea a little but what if your mate also rolled their own individual perk from a selection of NPC perks? Similar to your wolf, your mate would get a perk(but instead from a different pool of new/NPC exclusive perks and some exisiting if you wanted to) Of course some of this could be over-powered so to balance it you could simply only have them randomly roll 1-3. Similar to your wolf when you age up, you could choose to reroll your Mate's perk or simply keep the perk your mate has. (They would still age you would just refuse the reroll every-year if you were happy with what you have) You could also have a lock perk feature if you like say 1/2 perks you got. Lock one of the perks, and have the other one re-roll. Just an example of a new NPC perk: "Collector", when in a hex with your mate...items/skulls/antlers will show up as small dots/icons in that hex(togglable) Reason I put NPC next to it is because you could theoretically expand this into this into the Saga...

-Zoopal55 :wolf:

LeoArcid
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by LeoArcid » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:29 pm

This game is truly amazing and it has been amazing to grow up alongside it. Despite being near perfect, I have a few ideas for new features in the future, though I understand if these don’t get implemented in the foreseeable future or ever due to the immense effort the devs are already putting into the Saga. My current update ideas are:

1) After you die of old age, instead of your save deleting, you could play as your mate, subordinate or yearling to continue your pack’s legacy. You would only be able to choose one to play as and it would be a permanent decision until that wolf you are playing as perma-dies. As any of the wolves in your pack(excluding pups) that you choose to play as, you would have to find a new mate to keep the pack alive or else risk the pack disbanding(unless there are young pups). The decision to disperse or disband would also be dictated by age, personality, resources, pups and fondness of the new lead wolf within the pack. If you perma-die a single parent wolf with no yearlings or subordinates, then your save would be deleted as there would be no one to continue the pack’s legacy. This feature could also be implemented in normal ironwolf(maybe as an option as it takes away from the threat and stakes of ironwolf mode) but potentially with certain circumstances to be met or just random chance. I understand if this feature is not implemented as it would need heavy balancing for it to work. This feature would allow the legacy of the pack to continue for generations to come.

2) A negative fondness feature. As mentioned in the Dev Logs, there is a fondness feature between wolves that impacts their social interactions with other members of their pack. However, I believe that a reverse feature could also be applied. This feature would likely be more common between wolves of different packs rather than within the pack itself. Depending on their personalities and experiences with certain stranger wolves, wolves from your pack may become scared of them or even become aggressive towards them, trying to kill then or injure them on sight and taking away their territory(if it’s an established pack). This could also result in your packmates disregarding your orders(depending on their personalities and experience with this wolf/pack) in order to attack, flee from or decrease the territory of wolves that they hate/fear. If a stranger wolf injures or kills one of your packmate’s ‘best friend’, they may go to attack them more ferociously. If a pup sees a stranger wolf killing or attacking their pack mates, they’ll likely be more afraid/aggressive of that wolf/pack when they grow up. If a pack mate or best friend of a wolf has a bad experience with a certain wolf or pack, other wolves (or their best friend) will be more likely to hate or fear that wolf or pack. A negative experience with one wolf may be enough to make your pack mate associate their whole pack with negative experience. Each of the interactions for the negative fondness feature would be dictated by the wolf’s personality, experience and overall pack affinity.

3)My final idea is a relatively small one: mourning and sadness. After a pup, pack mate or the player wolf dies, your other pack mates will mourn. Their way of mourning will be impacted by their personalities and could be sorrowful howls all the way leaving the pack with other behaviours on between such as subtle isolation or difference in reaction time or appetite. Pack mates will look to the player wolf or their best friend for guidance. Keeping pack affinity up will keep your wolves happier and make them more likely to stick together. Mourning could also(in rare cases) change a wolf’s personality.

Conclusion: Again, this is truly a one of a kind game that has been a unique, intricate, breathtaking world and I definitely understand if these features aren’t implemented in the foreseeable future or even ever, all that matters is that the developers are amazing, hardworking people who constantly listen to their community and work hard alongside them to create such an awesome masterpiece.

EDIT: This post was partially inspired by this link on the Wolf Quest Forums: https://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php? ... y#p2571317

The two posts I was inspired by on the link were the one by psy on 23rd April 2023 and the one by Sasseraph on 24th April 2024!
Last edited by LeoArcid on Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

R0tt1ng
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by R0tt1ng » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:01 pm

DIVERSE ELK COATS

So I was thinking, to add more variety to the elk and just for fun, there could be different coats. Very commonly would be a rusty brown, or a reddish brown, but very rarely, an erythristic elk coat.

MAKE YOUR OWN DEN

Instead of just finding dens, players can have the option to possibly make their own den, such as digging out their own in a certain area. Of course, depending on where you make your den, there are possible dangers. If you make your den near a river/lake, your puppies have a possibility of wandering off into the water and drowning, and other ideas like that.

That’s really it, I’d love to see these in the game, and love watching the progress of Wolf Quest: Anniversary Edition so far!!

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Ideas for New Collectible Objects

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:19 am

So I'm sure many players have been having some fun with finding collectible objects in the game ever since they were introduced alongside achievements. The skull and antler collectibles have been fun to collect as well, and their presence in the game makes the game map feel much more alive and filled with interesting stuff, which is great!

However, I think there's even more potential fun objects that could be done with this feature in the future, potentially as part of future maps or even just as additions to the existing maps. Here's some ideas. I know some of these are a bit bizarre but I figured that the team can pick their favorites and add those ones.

Potential New Collectible Objects left behind by humans:
Hiker's Backpack (maybe players would be able to shake it and make a few other items fall out?)
Jacket
Lunchbox
Cowboy Hat
Fancy Pen
Deflated Car Tire (not sure where we would find this one, but it would be just hilarious to carry it around)
Necklace
Wallet
Gold Coin
Flannel Shirt
Dog Collar
Beanie
Wooden Pencil (I have a feeling that the pups will enjoy chewing on this one)
Mittens/Gloves
Water Bottle/Thermos
Sunglasses
Spotting Scope (used by hunters to spot things from far away, could be found in Hellroaring Mountain or any future map that has hunters)
Hunting Rifle (also left behind by hunters, but this gun would no longer be able to fire thankfully)
Hunter's Diary
Gold Bar or Silver Bar (maybe this would be found in Lost River?)
Rolled up Newspaper (found in Lost River)
Walking Stick
Hatchet
Horse Saddle
Arrowhead or Spear Point (left behind by Native American hunters long ago)
Trail Map (left behind by a hiker)
Bar of Soap
Popsicle Stick
Lost Letter (maybe with some lore or backstory written on it)

New Natural Collectible Objects:
Raven Feather
Eagle Feather
Fish Skeleton (found near rivers or lakes)
Coyote Skull
Pronghorn Skull
Beaver Skull
Mule Deer Antler
Elk Jawbone
Moose Leg Bone
Pronghorn Horn Sheath (they shed this outer part of their horns every year in winter)
Eagle Talon
Bison Horn (from an elderly bison that died and another animal carried the horn away)
Grizzly Bear Claw
Chunk of Granite
Petrified Wood
Pine Cone
Fox Skull
Bighorn Sheep Skull (with the horns of a mature ram still attached)
Black Bear Skull (in case the WolfQuest team ever adds them)

I hope this isn't too many ideas, I went a little bit wild with some of them haha. Hopefully the dev team will be able to use some of them at some point.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”