Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Re: Ideas for New Episodes V2

Post by Wolvencall » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:04 am

Also there should be other ways to obtain experience points because just to get up to the point where I can get an albino pup I have to kill four herds worth of elk and chase off multiple bears, you should be able to get experience points if you try to lure a wolf of the opposite gender from a pack, like Casanova and it would be a lot more dangerous as the pack could interrupt the social arena and chase you out and you could keep returning and earning points until you finally get that wolf and then theres a huge bonus exp. or for destroying coyote den and attacking the packs that will attack back if theres only one wolf in your group. Howling to look for a mate and getting a reply, successfully killing elk calves or possibly bison in the future. exp bonuses for finding places or items, because I don't think wolves would kill four herds worth of elk in three months. maybe half of one herd. It could still be difficult to gain exp. just in other ways too.
Go your own way

HowlerOfTheWolves
Pup
Pup

Post by HowlerOfTheWolves » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:29 pm

I think that if the developers earn enough money from this version, they should really think about adding the following things!:
-a combat system. The lack of chat options now means that there's not too much to do but run around and hunt elk with other players (which is fine!) but there needs to be a substitution. I think that adding more emotes is an AMAZING idea that will make communication a lot easier, and make it more immersive so I think what you guys are doing is a great start. :D But with a combat system, players can roleplay without the use of text; it would be so cool! And by combat system, I don't mean anything silly; perhaps something like the arenas in single player with stranger wolves.
-this leads to a dominance/rank order among players (or even in single player). Maybe the more wolves you 'dominate' the higher your level is, like an experience bar or something like that. This could be a goal for some multiplayer games, a fight for dominance - perhaps the most dominant wolves get a health boost?
-this isn't really something that is super important, but perhaps larger server rooms. I know it's probably a huge hassle and expensive thing to do, but if enough funds are gathered that could be a cool idea. (:
-of course, a new prey option. I know new animal models and animation probably takes a lot of time but maybe baby elk, or perhaps moose.

These are just a few things I thought would be neat to add!!

But what I think is that if enough funds are not gathered to do a fullblown sequel, you guys should just keep doing what you are doing and adding little things, bit by bit. Like new emotes, new animations, and some patches for glitches.

A few more things, a bit smaller -

-thirst/hunger bars that actual hinder your performance in the game
-time passing on its own, like maybe after 'x' many minutes it automatically changes
-it would be amazing to see some updates on the current wolf model. It's amazing, I love the new coats and customization (LOVE) but it is kinda stiff. If you guys could put some money/effort toward anything, I would definitely suggest tinkering with it a little; maybe to make the jump animation a little less glitchy, or add some little movements instead of it just standing there staring into space. Perhaps the wolf could turn/tilt/lower its head, wave its tail, yawn, etc. Something else that would be super cool if there are more rest options; like laying on the belly, laying on the side, rolling over - this would contribute to some neat options. (: Another cool thing would be if when an enemy/prey is near, the wolf's posture automatically turns into a more threatening one; head lowered, ears back, etc. These are just little things that I think would be pretty neat!

Jetred
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Jetred » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:13 pm

roguemoon wrote:
- Give large prey a stamina bar. Once their stamina drains enough, they would take more damage from a bite. This would make hunting more realistic, since wolves do chase down their prey to exhaust them and make the take down easier.
Came here to this thread just to say this bit. I personally like playing wolves with strength/stamina rather than speed, and that does make elk hunting a long ol' process when they're not getting any slower.

FlowerSky
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by FlowerSky » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:39 am

Two things that I would like to maybe see in the future...being able to wag your tail while sitting or laying down...being able to delete multiple messages at once

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:14 pm

I think there should be an area like Lost River or whatever it's called, but there should be moving cars and people and such. And also, the ability to hunt and eat birds and bugs and things?

DevareuxChiefClaw
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DevareuxChiefClaw » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Im going to buy the new version tomorrow. I will be opening my pack, ill disclose it when i do it i don't want anyone to get hopes up until i actually do it. ^_^ I am returning for the first time since 2009. I left the game for awhile. I am highly impressed with the new version however id like to make suggestions if the proper funding comes... and heck id be willing to pay more to get these additions hahaha.

1) Pups growing up and joining you. More socialization options. More ways to 'train' the pups would be good and teach them how to hunt. Pups that survive from first litter growing up and aiding in the hunt and a larger map. If they die then more litters to follow until the pack amount is full. (Player should choose what wolves stay pups or grow older with Experience ^^))
2) More of the true socializing encounters a real wolf would have. Like the dominant pack interacting with the submissive pack and the option to change game play between up to 9 wolves in a single pack and single player game. Add some humans in there, for good measure to show how it would be for wolves to not be pets and live in the wild near us. Show the good, and show the bad and the truth. Hunters, crowded roads, campers, encounters real wolves really may have with people. But the full options there only available to those over 16 years of age.
3) (With more funds that might come) More customizing options. More fantasy customizing options i mean... like wings, horns, jewelry, clothing, stuff like that perhaps. Someday far in the future. Of course those should be up to the player. Fact/Fiction or both. :mrgreen:
4) Show a species that nowadays is spreading across the United States and Canada like wild fire. Coyote-wolf mix breeds. Open more for them they are there to.
5) Instead of just a wolf's appetite give them a thirst bar to. Wolves should eat, drink, and have stamina. Searching for a reliable water source would be enriching for younger users.
6) More wildlife. Show the full ecosystem a wolf would live in. Bison, deer, foxes, boars, voles, pronged horned sheep, mountain goats, and so many more and even more predators they would see like cougars and other kinds they would compete for food with.
7) Some 'danger zones' that they would learn to avoid... some poachers truly lay down jaw traps and wolves should know to avoid them. And humans in general.

Im curious to know what other ideas you all have on improving the game. These are just discussion not to be taken seriously unless the game developers choose to do so. Fun to think about

Keep in mind for the 'paid' version off educational funding I believe fantasy aspects alongside educational aspects are an interesting idea.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:42 pm

I like your ideas but this is Yellowstone and they want to keep the main storyline realistic so I doubt even with lost river that they would add clothing and horns, other unrealistic things. Also hunters would get in huge trouble for hunting an animal in Yellowstone unless authorized like the bison cull, I would understand if the wolf crossed right over the border between federal and public land though. Also There are very little interactions between wolves and humans. There is also a very small chance a wolf would attack a human unless threatened or mentally ill/sick.
Go your own way

DevareuxChiefClaw
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DevareuxChiefClaw » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:00 pm

No i didnt mention a wolf 'attacking' a human, i mean placing ways for them to 'avoid' humans. Lol and yes makes sense but i think glasses and such are a little on the fantasy side to a wolf. It would be cool to see other things to add on to them

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:09 pm

The thing about fantasy elements (and really, most things that would not occur in the real world in the game's setting) though is that WolfQuest has always aimed to be and has always been an educational and realistic game. Even if it were up to the player to decide if they wanted to use them, even if it was only for the paid version, it would go against WolfQuest's goals completely and would take away from the educational aspect of the game quite a lot.
I'm not saying you shouldn't think about what it would be like if they were included, or that you're doing something wrong by suggesting them, or really anything like that. However, you still shouldn't get your hopes up at all for unrealistic or fantasy aspects to be added to the game.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

RoyalNarcissist

Post by RoyalNarcissist » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:55 pm

Katserin Kynsi wrote:
The thing about fantasy elements (and really, most things that would not occur in the real world in the game's setting) though is that WolfQuest has always aimed to be and has always been an educational and realistic game. Even if it were up to the player to decide if they wanted to use them, even if it was only for the paid version, it would go against WolfQuest's goals completely and would take away from the educational aspect of the game quite a lot.
I'm not saying you shouldn't think about what it would be like if they were included, or that you're doing something wrong by suggesting them, or really anything like that. However, you still shouldn't get your hopes up at all for unrealistic or fantasy aspects to be added to the game.
I have to agree with you there.

WolfQuest in itself was and is supposed to be an educational game. While some of us might be already knowledgeable enough about wolves and the obvious facts that they do not have horns, wings, accessories, etc. this game was directed at younger audiences and aimed to teach them about wolves out in the wild.

Now some of these things might be fun and all (and I'm sure the younger kids will eventually learn that wolves do not and can not wear scarves, glasses, etc.) but as an educational game, adding fantasy elements would complicate things quite a bit, because you'd then have to explain that some aspects are not real (which will end up confusing a lot of people).

This does not mean that there won't be extra coats/realistic features in the future that might be purchasable or unlock-able.

Now then, back on topic.

I would have some suggestions. I am not sure if they've been mentioned already and if they have, then please forgive me.

I. More coat colors. Perhaps rarer coats (albino/leucistic/blind/thicker or longer fur/etc.) would be purchasable and unlock only after enough experience points are reached.

II. Juvenile animals, such as elk, bears, etc.

III. Diversified foliage/more foliage. I'd love to see a more woodland-like map with thick forests and such.

IV. Ravens that move around the carcasses, if only a flight animation (they look a bit strange being static).

V. Perhaps a feature where you can chose to "save" your mate. That way, when you start off in a different map/area, you can chose whether to start off with or without your mate.

VI. Cycling day times (automatic transitions from Dawn, Midday, Dusk and Night).

VII. A multiplayer option to engage others in a "Social Arena" like in single player against stranger wolves.
Of course there should be an agreement notice from both parties, that way if one refuses, then the event does not take place.
There could also be an option in the game settings to "Allow Social Arena Engagement" if one does not desire to be asked to engage in it at all.

VIII. Perhaps not being forced to have a mate. Maybe joining another pack and helping raise their pups.

IX. Seeing your pups become a bit older and helping teach them how to defend the territory.

X. Traveling to other places with your mate/alone/with your pups.

Femwolfaf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Femwolfaf » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:06 am

http://www.123dapp.com/123C-3D-Model/No ... ver/596600 THIS LINK: has a cute and realistic model of A BEAVER, IT SEEMS PRETTY CHEAP TOO!

Rabbits, bears and coyotes are getting a bit boring now! Really, Amethyst Mountain and Slough Creek are inhabited by a wide variation of animals including- Squirrels, Lynx, Bison, Mountain goats, Voles, Chipmunks and much more! The creators should definitely spruce the game up a bit by adding more animals! I hope they read this!

Akuerri
Pup
Pup

Post by Akuerri » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:41 am

I keep looking back at this thread for any new ideas and I must say, I'm loving them. Really hope some of these get implemented into the game. <333
▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ ◣◢◥▲ ◣◢◥▲ ◣◢ ◥▲◣◢ ◥▲ ◣◢◥▲ ◣◢◥▲ ◣◢ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁

✧ Nothing is more powerful than the bond between you and your loved ones. ✧

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:49 pm

I got a tad bit of inspiration recently! Although some ideas have been mentioned before, but that just shows you how badly I want them...

I. Coat length options (from shortest coat to thickest coat)

II. Ravens will swoop down and eat food, and you can interact with them Social Arena style, in which you can either chase them off, leave them alone, or befriend one of them.

III. Adding on from idea II, once you befriend a raven, it'll follow you around, alert you of danger, and guide you to food.

IV. Eye colour options

V. The ability to have a combination of body features (radio collar and torn ear, limpy leg and folded ear, etc.)

VI. Player scent colour can be customizable in MP

VII. Snow versions of AM and LR in MP perhaps?

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:50 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:A few ideas:

- More prey items: bison, incredibly tough prey to take out. Almost impossible unless you have a full pack all working together (and even then....), beaver, moose, fish, frogs, cougar (maybe you can sneak in & take her cubs...), ravens that land & eat at the carcass...just to name a few.

- Coyotes attack in packs, so you have to make a choice...do I sacrifice pup z to save pup x and y?

- Baby animals & with this increase the difficulty for hunting adult animals substantially (so people go for the babies).

- Free-roaming dispersal wolves in AM, free roaming packs in AM and SC, doing everything the player can do. They too, raise their own pups and protect them. You have the option of entering THEIR territory to grab a free meal, but they might turn and attack you like how you'd attack them if they tried it.

- In AM, if you tresspass on stranger wolf territory (maybe if you defeat a wolf), the others come running & they chase you away from their territory. If you don't run, you die. So, in order to find a dispersal, you have to track them by scent (Dispersals could free-roam) in the area.

- A real-time dynamic social interaction system, instead of turn-based like in the social arena. (there can be a 'legacy option' if some players prefer the the social arena for interacting)

- All of the animations available in the social arena (high poly model) to be animated for regular play (low poly model), in both SP and MP. In SP: The player should be allowed to make mistakes (some people learn best through mistakes) in social interaction, as well, even if that leads to negative consequences for the player's wolf.

- Add more 'life' to the game world:
- More grass & trees (differing heights of trees and grasses, too, variation is good).
- More smaller life around - fallen logs, fungi and moss growing, etc.
- In the case of forests, add leaf litter.

- Switch from unity to something else (if possible), that will allow better looking environments & etc

- Different ways pups & your wolves can die. Diseases. Forest fires. Stuff like that.

- An injury system for both wolves and other animals. So you can pick out prey without having to look at its health bar, and you can tell if you're low on health by seeing if you're limping or not. Etc.

- If you're kicked by an elk, you should fly backwards (kind of like in the early pre-release WQ video)

- If you're kicked by an elk, rare possibility you're thrown back & die immediately (kicked in the head)

- A new map/place to explore would be nice...maybe not even in Yellowstone. Maybe somewhere like, erm, Algonquin Park? So there could be the find a mate -> pups in Algonquin park. Quite possibly could be in the same map, too, if the map's big enough. Or elsewhere that has a different 'feel' to it, but can share the same animal species so to cut down on costs?

- Dynamic day/night switching.
Adding on to my previous list of ideas...

- Add a walk animation
- Improved/more varied idle animations. Maybe lying down, sitting and yawning, swivelling your head back and forth, etc.
- A sudden stop/skid animation when you let go of the forward button. Its smoother than just stopping the animation; right now it looks kind of awkward OR, when you let go of the forward button have the wolf slow down gradually (cycling through the different movement animations).
- Improved/revised running and trotting animations - they seem so stiff. A wolf's lope is supposed to be effortless and smooth, but the wolf trotting in WQ looks artificial and jerky.
- Smooth transitions from trotting to running, and from running back to trotting (cantering)
- A better turn-on-spot animation? The one we have now has always felt clunky.

- If your wolf's stamina gets too low, a panting SFX plays. Volume fade in increasingly as your stamina depletes.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:01 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:A few ideas:

- More prey items: bison, incredibly tough prey to take out. Almost impossible unless you have a full pack all working together (and even then....), beaver, moose, fish, frogs, cougar (maybe you can sneak in & take her cubs...), ravens that land & eat at the carcass...just to name a few.

- Coyotes attack in packs, so you have to make a choice...do I sacrifice pup z to save pup x and y?

- Baby animals & with this increase the difficulty for hunting adult animals substantially (so people go for the babies).

- Free-roaming dispersal wolves in AM, free roaming packs in AM and SC, doing everything the player can do. They too, raise their own pups and protect them. You have the option of entering THEIR territory to grab a free meal, but they might turn and attack you like how you'd attack them if they tried it.

- In AM, if you tresspass on stranger wolf territory (maybe if you defeat a wolf), the others come running & they chase you away from their territory. If you don't run, you die. So, in order to find a dispersal, you have to track them by scent (Dispersals could free-roam) in the area.

- A real-time dynamic social interaction system, instead of turn-based like in the social arena. (there can be a 'legacy option' if some players prefer the the social arena for interacting)

- All of the animations available in the social arena (high poly model) to be animated for regular play (low poly model), in both SP and MP. In SP: The player should be allowed to make mistakes (some people learn best through mistakes) in social interaction, as well, even if that leads to negative consequences for the player's wolf.

- Add more 'life' to the game world:
- More grass & trees (differing heights of trees and grasses, too, variation is good).
- More smaller life around - fallen logs, fungi and moss growing, etc.
- In the case of forests, add leaf litter.

- Switch from unity to something else (if possible), that will allow better looking environments & etc

- Different ways pups & your wolves can die. Diseases. Forest fires. Stuff like that.

- An injury system for both wolves and other animals. So you can pick out prey without having to look at its health bar, and you can tell if you're low on health by seeing if you're limping or not. Etc.

- If you're kicked by an elk, you should fly backwards (kind of like in the early pre-release WQ video)

- If you're kicked by an elk, rare possibility you're thrown back & die immediately (kicked in the head)

- A new map/place to explore would be nice...maybe not even in Yellowstone. Maybe somewhere like, erm, Algonquin Park? So there could be the find a mate -> pups in Algonquin park. Quite possibly could be in the same map, too, if the map's big enough. Or elsewhere that has a different 'feel' to it, but can share the same animal species so to cut down on costs?

- Dynamic day/night switching.
Adding on to my previous list of ideas...

- Add a walk animation
- Improved/more varied idle animations. Maybe lying down, sitting and yawning, swivelling your head back and forth, etc.
- A sudden stop/skid animation when you let go of the forward button. Its smoother than just stopping the animation; right now it looks kind of awkward OR, when you let go of the forward button have the wolf slow down gradually (cycling through the different movement animations).
- Improved/revised running and trotting animations - they seem so stiff. A wolf's lope is supposed to be effortless and smooth, but the wolf trotting in WQ looks artificial and jerky.
- Smooth transitions from trotting to running, and from running back to trotting (cantering)
- A better turn-on-spot animation? The one we have now has always felt clunky.

- If your wolf's stamina gets too low, a panting SFX plays. Volume fade in increasingly as your stamina depletes.
Those are all great ideas Solitary! I hope someday they will be included in the future game update.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”